Harley Davidson quality control or lack off !!

El Lobo

30+ Posts
Hello Gents

So this is going to be a long story. So my brother in law and I were riding to the memorial day run in Red river NM, when we arrived in Taos we pulled into a gas station, my brother in law noticed that his 2019 Tri-glide was leaking anti freeze from the left side of the Trike. We checked the reservoir and it was empty, having no anti freeze we added water to the reservoir and started off again, we rode about 2 miles when the engine coolant temperature light came on, we pulled into the nearest gas station and checked the coolant reservoir again the reservoir was empty so we filled the reservoir again and purged the radiator to clear out any air from the system. We let the trike run to make sure it would not over heat again; the trike had been running for about 4 minutes when all of the coolant just poured out of the left side, We had to get the trike towed back home. MY brother in law later on had the trike towed to his Harley certified mechanic.( he will not have any work done at the Santa Fe Harley Shop) We had thought that maybe the water pump had gone out, or a water hose had busted. When the mechanic checked the trike, he found that Harley had not installed a clamp on one of the hoses. Causing the hose to come loose. SO MUCH FOR QUALITY CONTROL!!!!

Ride safe.

El Lobo

It happened to a brand new truck I bought 5 years ago. 4 days after I got it it started to leak antifreeze, called the toll free# they picked it up fixed it and brought it back to me the next day.

Who's to blame the workers or the union or Harley for not hiring competent workers. Then the dealership for not doing a proper set up or the tech when servicing the trike for not noticing it was missing. I had a new Indian with a hose clamp was not tighten. Happen to catch it on the first warm up.

Who's to blame the workers or the union or Harley for not hiring competent workers. Then the dealership for not doing a proper set up or the tech when servicing the trike for not noticing it was missing. I had a new Indian with a hose clamp was not tighten. Happen to catch it on the first warm up.

If you don’t pay the workers with incentives and job security what you get is worker’s who don’t care because management doesn’t care…And the customer has some blame….. Always price shopping for the cheapest labor price/parts Harley charges too much I’m gonna go to the internet and get the parts from some guy selling from his No overhead garage in Cheboygan… but for #Warranty work I’ll go to the Harley dealer with the high overhead..

If ya'll think its bad now....come step into my time machine. We're goin back to 1976 when I bought a brand new FXE ( $3000.00 OTD). See the chicks wearing bell bottoms and halter and tube tops? ( Yum) CB radios were all the rage. Lip gloss, Farrah Faucet, N.Y. Shag hairdos. Group sex in Chevy vans.....um y'all did that right? Anyway, HD was in the throes of manufacturing issues. AMF dragged them kicking and screaming into the space age from the Model T age.They also alienated a majority of the work force especially the line workers. I believe there was outright sabotaging goin on. Sucked valves, disc brakes locking up in the middle of nowheres Nevada. It took me years to work out the bugs. But there she sits in the garage. A hose clamp seems like a minor inconvenience.

Just a thought… I too find it difficult to believe the hose stayed on without a clamp for three years. My thinking is that possibly the clamp fell off the hose AFTER it came loose from the pump.

I had an oil line hose start to leak on my 99 Ultra in the middle of Idaho. Not pouring out but leaking enough to notice.

One of those crimp clamps “gone bad”. Hit an auto parts store for a worm gear clamp and away I went.

The hose slipped off the nipple rather easily even with the crimp clamp in place.

My money is on the speculation that the crimp clamp became loose, and when the hose, under pressure, blew off the nipple the clamp fell off.

Crimp clamps, while saving a few penny’s, suck.

Just my 2¢.

Just a thought… I too find it difficult to believe the hose stayed on without a clamp for three years. My thinking is that possibly the clamp fell off the hose AFTER it came loose from the pump.

I had an oil line hose start to leak on my 99 Ultra in the middle of Idaho. Not pouring out but leaking enough to notice.

One of those crimp clamps “gone bad”. Hit an auto parts store for a worm gear clamp and away I went.

The hose slipped off the nipple rather easily even with the crimp clamp in place.

My money is on the speculation that the crimp clamp became loose, and when the hose, under pressure, blew off the nipple the clamp fell off.

Crimp clamps, while saving a few penny’s, suck.

Just my 2¢.

As a mechanic and 30 year industrial maintenance tech, I wouldn't bet against you on this. I've seen it happen on new machines after install.

Interesting thread - in over 3 years and all of the inspections and 1000, 5000, 10000 etc mile checkup - no one ever saw this missing.

Seems a little odd to me - but anything is possible

Quality control

Always no fun when problems arise with any bike, car , truck of any brand. I tend to agree with some that have already stated, no problems in several years and now this happened. I believe before I pointed fingers at HD, Unions or individual workers I’d question who’s been maintaining the trike. I know in 51 years of riding I’ve learned no matter what brand all bikes need to be serviced properly. Sounds like someone missed something at a service but honestly we’re all human and things can happen. Wishing you better luck in the future and many safe miles.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png