Mystery Designs Trike with rear brake issues.

Hello,

I'll thank you for your patience in advance. My uncle gave me his old 2004 Electra glide that he had converted to a trike with a kit from Mystery Designs and it needs a little work.

This was the push I needed to finally go get the motorcycle endorsement (my first motorcycle).

Right now the rear break won't work unless I pump it 5 times or so and even then it will only work for a few minutes.

I have had a very difficult time finding a mechanic that was willing to work on it only to have him tell me he couldn't get the break to work consistently and didn't know where to get parts from if needed.

I tried calling mystery designs, but their number is disconnected and their domain name is up for sale. I can only assume they are out of business.

Does anyone know where I can find documentation for this kit and replacement parts?

Will parts from another manufacturer work?

I was told it needs new break pads on the rear, maybe new calipers and break lines?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

TrikeRear.jpgTrikeFrontLeft.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

I'll thank you for your patience in advance. My uncle gave me his old 2004 Electra glide that he had converted to a trike with a kit from Mystery Designs and it needs a little work.

This was the push I needed to finally go get the motorcycle endorsement (my first motorcycle).

Right now the rear break won't work unless I pump it 5 times or so and even then it will only work for a few minutes.

I have had a very difficult time finding a mechanic that was willing to work on it only to have him tell me he couldn't get the break to work consistently and didn't know where to get parts from if needed.

I tried calling mystery designs, but their number is disconnected and their domain name is up for sale. I can only assume they are out of business.

Does anyone know where I can find documentation for this kit and replacement parts?

Will parts from another manufacturer work?

I was told it needs new break pads on the rear, maybe new calipers and break lines?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

View attachment 109555View attachment 109556

Jason......Welcome To Trike-Talk......:wave4::wave4:...

If you have to pump the pedal to get brake action the Master cylinder is bad..?

If there was a leak you would have red brake fluid on the garage floor....

:welcome:Jason , it’s hard to diagnose a issue over the phone . You will get alot of suggestions here . Ride safe.

Thanks, I know it's hard to diagnose over the phone, I'm just going to have to try and find a good mechanic that can work on it.

The long term issue or concern that I have is parts. If Mystery Designs is out of business will standard break pads fit these? Will break pads or parts from another kit/manufacturer fit the mystery designs trike?

If I can't get replacement parts, especially wear parts, then I may be up a creek with out a paddle.

Thanks, I know it's hard to diagnose over the phone, I'm just going to have to try and find a good mechanic that can work on it.

The long term issue or concern that I have is parts. If Mystery Designs is out of business will standard break pads fit these? Will break pads or parts from another kit/manufacturer fit the mystery designs trike?

If I can't get replacement parts, especially wear parts, then I may be up a creek with out a paddle.

I doubt that they made their own Parts they just Bought them from other manufactures most likely the least expensive..

Jason as Bob said they used someone else's parts probably for those replacement type parts. For rear brake pads just remove the pads go to your local NAPA store and see id they can ID them. From the swing arm forward is all Harley parts. I agree that it sounds like the master cylinder needs looked at. That will be a Harley Part. See if you can find an independent motorcycle shop to help you out. Should be a sound ride. Welcome and good luck

Hi Jason and welcome to Trike Talk

As already stated either take a picture of the rear brakes or take a pad out, take it to an Auto Jobber like Napa to see if they can match it

If you are doing the work yourself, pay attention to how things come apart for future reassembly

Now is the time also to have a good look at the front brakes also, at the very least it would be prudent to bleed the old fluid out

Your local Harley Dealer should have a master cylinder repair kit, you will need that for sure for the rear brakes

If you decide to tackle this job keep us updated and pictures are a plus, Best of luck going forward

It would be awesome if I could find a parts list so I could identify what I may need to order and from who, or the specs of the part if they are commonly made parts.

I have not been able to find any documentation .

I wouldn't even consider myself an amateur mechanic. Sure I can do basic oil changes, air filters, swap bulbs...... but I've never touched anything like breaks before.

It would be awesome if I could find a parts list so I could identify what I may need to order and from who, or the specs of the part if they are commonly made parts.

I have not been able to find any documentation .

I wouldn't even consider myself an amateur mechanic. Sure I can do basic oil changes, air filters, swap bulbs...... but I've never touched anything like breaks before.

Pull a wheel off and take some pictures

Does the caliper have any name or number stamped on it

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png