Anybody Use a Skywoosh Cooling Pad on Their Tri? Looking for Real World Reviews!

hydraglide

150+ Posts
Dec 5, 2021
Woodridge,Il USA
Anybody Use a Skywoosh Cooling Pad on Their Tri? Looking for Real World Reviews!

It’s been a great summer so far with over 7k in the saddle on my Tri Glide. I’ve rediscovered the joy of being in the wind again!

However, the one “area” I’d like to improve on (literally) is between me and my Road Zeppelin seat… cooling wise.

The saddle itself is comfortable but on long,hot days… I find myself “lifting off” more than I’d like to get some air circulation going in an attempt to cool off.

That’s where the Skywoosh cooling pad (the big one for touring saddles) caught my eye while visiting J&P Cycles the other day in Anamosa.

Dimensions are perfect, and in theory it seems like it could help (gel pad with cooling mesh vents for air flow). But before I jump I wanted to hear from you all and see what you might have experienced.

I’m open to other suggestions too so fire away!

Bead seat lifts you up-off the immediate surface allowing air to circulate between and also provides breakup of pressure. Some people like them, others don’t but the air circulation is real with them.

You can find them from around $13.00 and up… just do a google for motorcycle bead seat.

I have the beads, h-d air cushion, & sheepskin. My pick is the wood beads. I have taken all 3 with me on long trips & i always end up using the beads the most.

Sheepskin, beads... both interesting options and worth checking out. Sheepskin keeps your bottom cool and dry(er)? I can see where the beads would help with airflow.

But I have to believe there has to be at least a couple of you Tri-Glider's out there that used/tried either the Skwoosh seat pad or similar made from mesh... I see even Harley sells one (The "Circulator"), but, they don't fit (or so they say the don't fit) the Zeppelin seat. Go figure.

Don't be shy... :wave4:..lemme know what your experience has been!

Thanks all!

Although I mentioned the beads earlier, my preference for years has been the Air Hawk air cushion. By itself it doesn’t provide for the flow of air as does the bead seat but I have found it to be all I need for pressure comfort.. in hot or cold temps.

But if its absolute air circulation you are looking for the bead seat is a good choice. I have also used the bead seat underneath the Air Hawk on a long hot summer trip and I could feel the cooler temp difference provided by the bead seat.

I use a similar product from PPI - a gel seat pad with mesh cover. You can feel the ventilation when you hit highway speeds. I've not yet tried the sheep skin but am quite curious about it. The gel seat pad I went with came in either mesh covered or sheep skin covered. It definitely helps.

The supplied mounting straps could be better IMO. I found them difficult to install. I ended up using a velcro strap attached under the seat and through a mini carabiner on either side of the cushion. The straps tuck in out of sight when not in use.

It’s been a great summer so far with over 7k in the saddle on my Tri Glide. I’ve rediscovered the joy of being in the wind again!

However, the one “area” I’d like to improve on (literally) is between me and my Road Zeppelin seat… cooling wise.

The saddle itself is comfortable but on long,hot days… I find myself “lifting off” more than I’d like to get some air circulation going in an attempt to cool off.

That’s where the Skywoosh cooling pad (the big one for touring saddles) caught my eye while visiting J&P Cycles the other day in Anamosa.

Dimensions are perfect, and in theory it seems like it could help (gel pad with cooling mesh vents for air flow). But before I jump I wanted to hear from you all and see what you might have experienced.

I’m open to other suggestions too so fire away!

Epa recalling beaded seats 🛑

Speaking of the wood bead seat pads the EPA is issuing a recall on them it seems to be That the beads made from the wood if the Ba’ba tree native to India and a danger to the environment once the lacker coating of wears off it leaches high levels of methane gas ..Walmart the largest seller of wood bead seat pads is fighting the recall.. Walmarts argument is that the wood itself is not the problem Rather the problem is the person sitting on the seat pad is the one leaching the high levels of methane gas…

I use a sheepskin with an airhawk below it.

Sheepskin is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

I've tried gel pads, don't find them as compliant as the air hawk.

Also, the big con on the gel pads for me is that they can get really hot when parked in the sun for any period of time and really cold when parked in the cold for a period of time.

The good thing is that gel pads will hold their temperature for quite a while, the bad thing is that gel pads will hold their temperature for quite a while.

Kevin

I dont like gel anything that comes in contact with any part of me. I put gel insoles in my work boots. By midday I didnt like the feeling. Like your socks are wet but its still dry. Swamp butt( feet?) is a another way of puttting it I guess. Whatever pad one prefers dont forget what type of pants your wearing. Sitting for hours( try 10- 11 hours in a semi truck) on a bike in the hot sun will prove that heat buildup in those pants becomes uncomfortable. Ive found Diamond Gusset motorcycle jeans very comfortable. American made but pricey.The crotch gusset allows air to flow where its ..um...really needed.

I dont like gel anything that comes in contact with any part of me. I put gel insoles in my work boots. By midday I didnt like the feeling. Like your socks are wet but its still dry. Swamp butt( feet?) is a another way of puttting it I guess. Whatever pad one prefers dont forget what type of pants your wearing. Sitting for hours( try 10- 11 hours in a semi truck) on a bike in the hot sun will prove that heat buildup in those pants becomes uncomfortable. Ive found Diamond Gusset motorcycle jeans very comfortable. American made but pricey.The crotch gusset allows air to flow where its ..um...really needed.

I don’t know but….For me nothing comes between me and my Calvins😉😉..

So many different opinions! Can't we all just get along? I have tried many different cushions. I prefer Beads myself. However, since I bought my Tri Glide I haven't used anything with my stock seat because it is rather comfortable all by itself. A day ride would constitute around 275 miles on average. Unually by the end of the day I would start day dreaming of the beads.

I like the Alaska sheepskin, I just returned from a 1350 mile 4 day ride and I did like it, I have 2 air hawk pads for me and Mrs Notgrownup. I also have a HD Circulator pad , it also works very well. Never tried the beads yet but I am now breaking in my Ultimate tallboy seat pretty good.

Well, update... I went with adding the Air Hawk pad and it made quite a difference, comfort and cooling wise! Followed the instructions and added just enough "air" to let the bladders adjust to my riding position as I adjusted myself or adjusted the Harley Air Zeppelin bladders. I couldn't believe the added increase in comfort. Quite noticeable now if I forget to use the Air Hawk.

Next riding season I will try adding the Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad over the Air Hawk.

Anyone using the Alaska Pad solely on the riders portion of the seat and not the entire seat? If so, can it be used effectively without using the straps?

Already looking forward to getting back out next spring!! :Trike1:

Well, update... I went with adding the Air Hawk pad and it made quite a difference, comfort and cooling wise! Followed the instructions and added just enough "air" to let the bladders adjust to my riding position as I adjusted myself or adjusted the Harley Air Zeppelin bladders. I couldn't believe the added increase in comfort. Quite noticeable now if I forget to use the Air Hawk.

Next riding season I will try adding the Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad over the Air Hawk.

Anyone using the Alaska Pad solely on the riders portion of the seat and not the entire seat? If so, can it be used effectively without using the straps?

Already looking forward to getting back out next spring!! :Trike1:

I use the Alaska Leather sheepskin on my Tri, but I use the straps. Very comfortable for me

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png