Pulling Spark Plugs on an M8 Freewheeler

It can be done but it is aggravating

Pull the tank, it takes 5 minutes

Pull the main fuse after setting all night, this will stabilise the fuel line pressure

Spray the fuel line disconnect with some WD 40, remove the line

There are 2 bolts @ the back of the tank, remove them

Disconnect the wires that go under the tank console, no need to remove the counsel

Disconnect the wire @ the fuel gauge ( looking @ the left side of Trike )you will see the connector

remove the front 2 mounting bolts and lift straight up Oppos I forgot @ the back side of tank you will need to disconnect the fuel line vapor hose

Blow some compressed air down the RS plugs before you remove them, there is always trash there

Check your plug wires for rub marks, it is a tight fit under the tank

You may remember I talked about the wires NOT in the clips @ the rear of mine, I fixed that real quick, I bet yours are not fastened right from the factory

... You may remember I talked about the wires NOT in the clips @ the rear of mine, I fixed that real

quick, I bet yours are not fastened right from the factory

They weren't. I checked after reading your post about that earlier. It was right after my 10,000 mile svc. Don't know if they were always loose or something happened when "2 spark plugs" were changed, according to the svc report. I did secure the wires, thank you. Which brings me to my original question. During the 15,000 mile svc I just had, the tech report said that "2 spark plugs were changed" again. Doesn't say which two, but somehow he partially disconnected my gas gauge connector and it was throwing error lights everywhere. He had suggested changing the sending unit in the gas tank, but I told him how about we check the connector to the gauge first. Unplugged the connector all the way and reconnected it and all has been fine ever since. I asked him if he had pulled the gas tank perhaps to change those "2 plugs", but he said no. Is it normal to replace just the left two plugs and not all four during a service?

They weren't. I checked after reading your post about that earlier. It was right after my 10,000 mile svc. Don't know if they were always loose or something happened when "2 spark plugs" were changed, according to the svc report. I did secure the wires, thank you. Which brings me to my original question. During the 15,000 mile svc I just had, the tech report said that "2 spark plugs were changed" again. Doesn't say which two, but somehow he partially disconnected my gas gauge connector and it was throwing error lights everywhere. He had suggested changing the sending unit in the gas tank, but I told him how about we check the connector to the gauge first. Unplugged the connector all the way and reconnected it and all has been fine ever since. I asked him if he had pulled the gas tank perhaps to change those "2 plugs", but he said no. Is it normal to replace just the left two plugs and not all four during a service?

Sounds like you should find a new shop for your service work. I can't think of a single good reason to change only 2 plugs other than being too lazy to pull the tank.

During the 15,000 mile svc I just had, the tech report said that "2 spark plugs were changed" I asked him if he had pulled the gas tank perhaps to change those "2 plugs", but he said no. Is it normal to replace just the left two plugs and not all four during a service?[/QUOTE] Everyone knows you change only four 4 plugs on an 8 cylinder pickup truck. Its called half ass shade tree mechanic logic.This way it only costs you half the price of a tune up.

WOW, it sounds to me like the tech was starting to or thinking about pulling the tank by disconnecting the gauge wire

I say the tech was in a hurry and did not bother with the other 2 plugs, it can be done by raising the tank, BUT you chance nicking the rocker boxes and if you do not have the right combo of tools it will be a struggle

I say YES good techs will pull the tank, and if they are checking the plugs CHECK them all IMO

My 17 M8 had a ticking noise in the first 100 miles, it was the 2 plugs on the RS loose, I was able to tighten them up by raising the tank a few inches

What's the purpose of pulling the Main Fuse to remove the gas tank and is that better than disconnecting the Negative battery terminal? Is this going to throw an error code when everything gets put back together?

What's the purpose of pulling the Main Fuse to remove the gas tank and is that better than disconnecting the Negative battery terminal? Is this going to throw an error code when everything gets put back together?

Easier to pull the main fuse than disconnect @ the battery IMO

You should not get an error code

I learned many years ago, step 1 in any service, disconnect the power source so there are no surprises;)

Changed out all FOUR of my plugs today, not just TWO. Followed Jacks info and pulling the tank, actually took less than five minutes and I've never done it before. The two left side plugs were clearly the ones the dealership replaced. The right side plugs were obviously the originals. All them were a light tan color. The right side plug gap was .037 (over the .035 max spec) with the electrode slightly rounded. No error lights on the dash after putting it back together and it's running great, had to test ride it of course, besides I needed gas. :) There was a disconcerting click when I plugged the main fuse back in, but nothing seemed to come of it. At the 20,000 miles service they will be told to leave the plugs alone.

Sparkplug Access_a.jpg

When I was disconnecting the wiring harness under the seat to remove the tank I also, of course, disconnected the evap line to the tank. (Part 6 in schematic) When I removed the wiring harness to get it out of the way the evap line came with it. I wasn't anticipating that. There doesn't seem to be anywhere special it's supposed to go when you put it back and it doesn't seem to attach to anything. So long as it's not rubbing on anything does it matter where that line goes?

Screenshot at 2022-10-02 08-51-23.jpg Screenshot at 2022-10-02 08-46-19.png

When I was disconnecting the wiring harness under the seat to remove the tank I also, of course, disconnected the evap line to the tank. (Part 6 in schematic) When I removed the wiring harness to get it out of the way the evap line came with it. I wasn't anticipating that. There doesn't seem to be anywhere special it's supposed to go when you put it back and it doesn't seem to attach to anything. So long as it's not rubbing on anything does it matter where that line goes?

View attachment 109972 View attachment 109973

Make sure it is not rubbing on the belt, it should have a zip tie on it

So it's been 2000 miles since I put new plugs in and changed the slip ons to the Cobra 909's. I wanted to see if there were any signs of it running too lean so I pulled all four plugs to check them and if anything it looks as if the M8 is running a tad bit richer. I'm convinced that my M8 is not running too lean. Very happy :)

Were they changing your plugs because they were two years old? Otherwise, it's 30K miles. Did they splain why on the work order? Going to be taking mine in for a 10K service in about a week or 2.

Were they changing your plugs because they were two years old? Otherwise, it's 30K miles. Did they splain why on the work order? Going to be taking mine in for a 10K service in about a week or 2.

No, it was only a few months old. Don't know why they changed the plugs, but if your going to do it change all four, not just the two on the left side. I generally change mine every 10,000 miles now. they're cheap enough and it doesn't take very long to do.

I believe the reason HD wants us to change the plugs sooner is the RS plugs sit deep in the rocker box, the well can fill up with water and debris causing those 2 plugs to corrode

When you change your plugs, use compressed air to blow that area out before removing the plugs

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png