Disconnect / reconnect battery: 2022 Freewheeler

DW's previous trike had a tuner and we had to follow a certain procedure when reconnecting the battery or it would unlearn everything it had previously learned.

I want to add a power pigtail to the battery for DW's electric vest.

Do I have to do anything special or can I just disconnect and reconnect the battery where I'm going to hook up the pigtail ring terminals?

Have you tried pulling the main fuse?

Whenever I am doing anything electrical I pull the main fuse first, I do not like surprises

DW's previous trike had a tuner and we had to follow a certain procedure when reconnecting the battery or it would unlearn everything it had previously learned.

I want to add a power pigtail to the battery for DW's electric vest.

Do I have to do anything special or can I just disconnect and reconnect the battery where I'm going to hook up the pigtail ring terminals?
Pull the main fuse or at least put a wrap of tape around the ground terminal. Is the accessory plug under the rh side cover already in use?

I decided to RTFM and it says "turn the ignition on, then pull the main fuse then disconnect the battery"

I also discovered that the trike has a connector for a battery tender. Is that connected directly to the battery? - I suspect so. I don't know why it couldn't be used but looking at the connector, there are THREE conductors - two round ones like on a trailer connector and a flat one too. I seems like there are only TWO wires. What the heck is the third connector for?

I found a wiring diagram for a 2019 Freewheeler. It shows the battery tender connected to a 20A fuse and then to the main 50A fuse.

It shows the tender connector with two conductors. Maybe this changed between 2019 and 2022.

I decided to RTFM and it says "turn the ignition on, then pull the main fuse then disconnect the battery"

I also discovered that the trike has a connector for a battery tender. Is that connected directly to the battery? - I suspect so. I don't know why it couldn't be used but looking at the connector, there are THREE conductors - two round ones like on a trailer connector and a flat one too. I seems like there are only TWO wires. What the heck is the third connector for?

The third pin is for global battery chargers ( 5 Amps )The third pin is not needed for regular battery chargers or accessory hook ups..

What's a "global battery charger"?

Can be used world wide, not all countries electrical grids the same as AmericaA universal power supply unit enables the Global Battery Charger to properly charge and maintain all H-D 12-volt batteries worldwide. Included is a specific power cord that is required by various countries (refer to geographic fitment matrix). Advanced solid state circuitry constantly monitors the battery's voltage without overcharging which causes damage. Switches to float mode automatically adjusting the charge rate up or down to keep the battery properly maintained for extended periods of time. Accepts worldwide voltage 100 to 240 VAC @ 50 to 60 Hz. Maximum charge rate of 1.25 Amperes. Charger output leads are equipped with quick-disconnect black connectors, compatible with the 3 Amp fused alligator clip charging harness (included) and the optional 7.5 Amp fused Battery Charging Harness with ring terminals.

My electric jacket liner came with an adapter that will hook up to the battery tender. Works great if I am using only the liner but the fuse is not sufficient to handle the liner and my electric gloves, so I did hook up the wire that came with my liner direct to my battery. I didn't want to mess with the fuse in the wire to the battery tender.

My electric jacket liner came with an adapter that will hook up to the battery tender. Works great if I am using only the liner but the fuse is not sufficient to handle the liner and my electric gloves, so I did hook up the wire that came with my liner direct to my battery. I didn't want to mess with the fuse in the wire to the battery tender.

Lola, did you put any fuse in line @ the battery?

I really hate electrical fires:mad:

Can be used world wide, not all countries electrical grids the same as America.

A universal power supply unit enables the Global Battery Charger to properly charge and maintain all H-D 12-volt batteries worldwide. Included is a specific power cord that is required by various countries (refer to geographic fitment matrix). Advanced solid state circuitry constantly monitors the battery's voltage without overcharging which causes damage. Switches to float mode automatically adjusting the charge rate up or down to keep the battery properly maintained for extended periods of time. Accepts worldwide voltage 100 to 240 VAC @ 50 to 60 Hz. Maximum charge rate of 1.25 Amperes. Charger output leads are equipped with quick-disconnect black connectors, compatible with the 3 Amp fused alligator clip charging harness (included) and the optional 7.5 Amp fused Battery Charging Harness with ring terminals.[/QUOTE]The quoted text didn't show up.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png