What Is This Clutch Spring?

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
Watched half a dozen videos on how to check your clutch handle assembly and clean and lube it. Wham bam easy all done. Nothing in my life EVER goes that way. I finally get my handle off and see that spring sticking out. I've got the 2020 Harley Parts Catalog, the Service Manual and the Owners Manual and none of them show this part. So before I break something I'd figure I better ask here for advice on getting that spring positioned correctly to reassemble this.

IMG_20221012_172431144.jpg

Finally got it back in place. I went in with a flashlight and in the housing is a tiny hole the spring fits into. I'm guessing HD thinks that the spring end will slide down the side of the housing and magically align itself with that hole. Yeah, right. Anyway it's back together and appears to be working normally. An appropriate schematic would have saved a lot a grief, but all my references show is the hydraulic clutch set up. There is like no info on the '21 and up mechanical clutch lever.

Finally got it back in place. I went in with a flashlight and in the housing is a tiny hole the spring fits into. I'm guessing HD thinks that the spring end will slide down the side of the housing and magically align itself with that hole. Yeah, right. Anyway it's back together and appears to be working normally. An appropriate schematic would have saved a lot a grief, but all my references show is the hydraulic clutch set up. There is like no info on the '21 and up mechanical clutch lever.

Info is poor at best so far

Large

Info is poor at best so far

That's awesome. Thanks. I'm grabbing that image and filing it away for next time. You know after fooling with this there really isn't anything in there that needs attention. It makes it easier to lube the cable, but there's Nylon bushings on the contact points and the pivot pin now runs through a Nylon tube. Think going forward I'll leave it alone unless it needs repair.

I knew you could do it….😁👍..

That's awesome. Thanks. I'm grabbing that image and filing it away for next time. You know after fooling with this there really isn't anything in there that needs attention. It makes it easier to lube the cable, but there's Nylon bushings on the contact points and the pivot pin now runs through a Nylon tube. Think going forward I'll leave it alone unless it needs repair.
Your like my youngest brother(65) hes gotta take everything apart -whether it needs it or not. Too old to change.

Watched half a dozen videos on how to check your clutch handle assembly and clean and lube it. Wham bam easy all done. Nothing in my life EVER goes that way. I finally get my handle off and see that spring sticking out. I've got the 2020 Harley Parts Catalog, the Service Manual and the Owners Manual and none of them show this part. So before I break something I'd figure I better ask here for advice on getting that spring positioned correctly to reassemble this.

View attachment 110112

That is because you need a 2021 parts catalog. 2020 is hydraulic and 2021 is cable - see below.

You can get all the parts catalogs here for free: Genuine Harley-Davidson OEM Service Parts | Harley-Davidson USA

ExtraLarge.png

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png