2017 FW questions

Apr 12, 2011
Punta Gorda Fl
My 16 FW was totaled in hurricane Ian. Geico treated me well. Looking at a 17 with 14000 miles. All the add ons I like. Perfect condition. Any comments on the first year M8? New front suspension? I haven't seen it in person yet. Are the 17's cable or hydraulic clutch? Sumping or transfer issues? Thanks guys

My 16 FW was totaled in hurricane Ian. Geico treated me well. Looking at a 17 with 14000 miles. All the add ons I like. Perfect condition. Any comments on the first year M8? New front suspension? I haven't seen it in person yet. Are the 17's cable or hydraulic clutch? Sumping or transfer issues? Thanks guys

Hydraulic clutch if that matters but make sure they did all recalls and updates for the transfer issues…..(primary vent)..

The clutch actuator had a recall - at least my '18 built in 9/17 did. The vent kit isnt all that expensive and comes with a template. If you like the trike and the price is good then go for it.

I have the 17 FW since last January and it has been a terrific Trike. Yes it does have the hydraulic clutch which I do really like. I have not had a single issue (with it) since I got it. If you don't have the Harley Davidson USA app on your phone, you might want to add it. It's a very cool app that also asks you to put in your Vin# and tracks any recalls or issues for your trike. Lots of other cool stuff to play with on there as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

IMG_0020.jpg IMG_0010.jpg

I have the 17 FW since last January and it has been a terrific Trike. Yes it does have the hydraulic clutch which I do really like. I have not had a single issue (with it) since I got it. If you don't have the Harley Davidson USA app on your phone, you might want to add it. It's a very cool app that also asks you to put in your Vin# and tracks any recalls or issues for your trike. Lots of other cool stuff to play with on there as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

View attachment 116525 View attachment 116526

Jeff good looking trike. I also have the 2017 FW. Noticed it appears that you have the extended headlamp accessory. I really like that and plan to get one. Really looks good!

Jeff good looking trike. I also have the 2017 FW. Noticed it appears that you have the extended headlamp accessory. I really like that and plan to get one. Really looks good!

Thanks JH … The headlamp extension is a trim replacement that literally is one screw to install. Also added the turn signal extensions which were also super easy to install.

IMG_6562.jpg IMG_6121.jpegIMG_8196.jpgIMG_6430.jpeg

View attachment 116525 View attachment 116526

So, I've gotta ask, what's that brief case look-in item on your luggage rack with the belt buckles. Novel idea and really cool.

So, I've gotta ask, what's that brief case look-in item on your luggage rack with the belt buckles. Novel idea and really cool.

So I wanted to add something unique to the trunk mounted luggage rack. Something that would "break up" (if you will) some of the naked chrome. My idea was based on the 50's convertibles that you see with luggage racks mounted to the trunks and that "vintage" style suitcase with 2 straps holding it closed. I looked at several aftermarket "rack bags" including HD's but they all looked like luggage and were much more suited for "touring" ...

I measured the length and width of the spot on the rack where I wanted "the box" mounted but my main goal was low profile. I didn't want ugly big luggage just strapped on there. I had this steak knife set from The Capital Grill in the house and when I came across it, the size and shape were perfect. I packed up the case (kept the knives) and sent it to my brother in Fla who is a leather hobby guy. I drew up a loose idea of what I was looking for and he took everything apart and made me "the box" ... everywhere we go with the Trike someone asks me about it and I proudly tell them that ... "I made it myself" :)

IMG_9294.jpg IMG_8849.jpg IMG_8851.jpg IMG_8761.jpg

So I wanted to add something unique to the trunk mounted luggage rack. Something that would "break up" (if you will) some of the naked chrome. My idea was based on the 50's convertibles that you see with luggage racks mounted to the trunks and that "vintage" style suitcase with 2 straps holding it closed. I looked at several aftermarket "rack bags" including HD's but they all looked like luggage and were much more suited for "touring" ...

View attachment 116595

It is a good looking and classy addition. I figure soon your going to start seeing knock offs on eBay for $300, then Harley will pick up on the idea and sell them for $900, with their logo on it of course.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png