Tone ring gouge marks

Rogue1

400+ Posts
Oct 8, 2018
Ramseur NC USA
Has anyone who has pulled their axles noticed gouge marks in the tone ring housing? Exact same on both sides.0.jpg You can also see the rust at the top of the bearing race. Passenger side came right out while left side needed a slide hammer.

Cheap bearing retainer plate allowing too much end play of axle

These are the fix

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/ax...for-harley-davidson-tri-glide-freewheeler.htm

I have had the DK retainer plates for a couple months and I'm just getting around to installing them now. One of the local dealers here wouldn't even touch it if I brought the axles in. They said they didn't have the equipment to do it? I said so I have a Harley-Davidson product that you won't work on very interesting. Asheboro machine shop said no problem bring them down dropped them off yesterday should pick them up today.

mine had marks at 10k already. Had the DK retainers installed. Much beefier plate & also O ring gasket designed into the plate. GOOD Quality stuff

I have had the DK retainer plates for a couple months and I'm just getting around to installing them now. One of the local dealers here wouldn't even touch it if I brought the axles in. They said they didn't have the equipment to do it? I said so I have a Harley-Davidson product that you won't work on very interesting. Asheboro machine shop said no problem bring them down dropped them off yesterday should pick them up today.

That is funny, sounds like they don't know how to

I would bet they DO have a press

That is funny, sounds like they don't know how to

I would bet they DO have a press

Sometimes dealers don’t wanna work on stuff that they didn’t sell I don’t want to end up owning it if something breaks.. Bring a pair of old eyeglasses in to an optometrist and ask them if they can put new lenses in and see what they tell you….

I had my own one-man business (shop ) and I can’t tell you how many times I help somebody out they come back six months later and said you worked on this last and now there’s something wrong with it ..And now it’s my headache…!

Sometimes dealers don’t wanna work on stuff that they didn’t sell I don’t want to end up owning it if something breaks.. Bring a pair of old eyeglasses in to an optometrist and ask them if they can put new lenses in and see what they tell you….

I had my own one-man business (shop ) and I can’t tell you how many times I help somebody out they come back six months later and said you worked on this last and now there’s something wrong with it ..And now it’s my headache…!

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I ran an independent shop for 15 years before I got into the Department of Corrections. Just one example I did a tune-up for a guy on his bike I don't remember the bike ( this was back in the late '70s when you actually did real tune-ups points plugs, valves, oil) 3 months later he comes back in bitching and moaning his shifter shaft seal is leaking and I was the last one to work on it. We had words and he left.

This is the very reason I quit doing cam installs, brakes, ect.

I've never had a dealer refused to work on my bike even if I didn't buy it there. If it's something under warranty any Harley dealer has to work on it. Of course this isn't warranty work but I was just taken back when they refused to work on it. Two other dealers I go to local said sure bring it in we'll do it.

I've never had a dealer refused to work on my bike even if I didn't buy it there. If it's something under warranty any Harley dealer has to work on it. Of course this isn't warranty work but I was just taken back when they refused to work on it. Two other dealers I go to local said sure bring it in we'll do it.

Being the Devils Advocate.....That dealer might of had a bad experience at one time taken in other peoples headaches.......:Shrug:..

Has anyone who has pulled their axles noticed gouge marks in the tone ring housing? Exact same on both sides.View attachment 110185 You can also see the rust at the top of the bearing race. Passenger side came right out while left side needed a slide hammer.

When I replaced my axle bearing retainers mine looked the same. Also I took the sound advice from jack Klarich and removed the seals on the bearings very carefully and hand packed the bearings with grease. I was shocked to see how little grease was in them from the factory.

When I replaced my axle bearing retainers mine looked the same. Also I took the sound advice from jack Klarich and removed the seals on the bearings very carefully and hand packed the bearings with grease. I was shocked to see how little grease was in them from the factory.

I did the same although they looked pretty good, I packed the shit out of 'em.

Cheap bearing retainer plate allowing too much end play of axle

These are the fix

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/ax...for-harley-davidson-tri-glide-freewheeler.htm

I understand what you're saying Jack. What I don't understand is how the retaining plate has control of the end play of the axle. The hole in the retaining plate is a lot larger than the actual diameter of the axle, if it's not a tight fit around the axle how does it control the movement? I must be missing something.

I understand what you're saying Jack. What I don't understand is how the retaining plate has control of the end play of the axle. The hole in the retaining plate is a lot larger than the actual diameter of the axle, if it's not a tight fit around the axle how does it control the movement? I must be missing something.

The retainer plates are stamped steel and flex a lot, especially during hard cornering

This causes the plates to distort some, thus not holding enough pressure to keep the axles from even slight movement, this will give the score marks inside the axle housing

This is not new, we saw many cars and trucks with the very same stamped bearing retainers, mid 70s saw quite a few Ford trucks with sheared axles from what I believe

to be cause and effect of the retainers

Jack, I believed every word you said. Your advice hasn't let me down yet. But I saw it with my own eyes. Sometimes that's what it takes with me. I took the retainer plates off and laid them on a surface plate. They were both warped. The worst one I could slide a 20 thou feeler gauge under one end between the surface plate and the retainer plate. It's not much, but there it is, both of them were warped. It's hard to believe that that little amount of warpage caused the problem I found. But it did. Thanks for your input

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trtro

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trtro
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png