Loose belt after rear bearing change.

Rogue1

400+ Posts
Oct 8, 2018
Ramseur NC USA
I recently changed the rear bearings and retainer plates in my 19 Tri glide. After a check I see the belt is way loose. Not a big deal but I like to understand why.

• Thanks
Reactions: MGB
I recently changed the rear bearings and retainer plates in my 19 Tri glide. After a check I see the belt is way loose. Not a big deal but I like to understand why.

Maybe it was way too tight to begin with and that’s what took out the bearings very common problem with early Can-Am spyders..(Main shaft)

Maybe it was way too tight to begin with and that’s what took out the bearings very common problem with early Can-Am spyders..(Main shaft)

I changed the bearings when I changed the retainer plates with dk. The bearings are perfectly good. I run the belt a quarter inch looser than the specs call for. I know for a fact it was not too tight.

Rear beaarings change out.

Did you change the rear bearings youself? What prompted you the change them, noise, sloppy ride etc, or what?

Did you change the rear bearings youself? What prompted you the change them, noise, sloppy ride etc, or what?

Any work that won't affect the warranty I do myself. Yes I change them myself. I installed the DK retainer plates and as long as I was in there I changed the bearings. I was having no problems.

As I'm sure you know, the belt adjustment is made by sliding the axle back or forward on the swingarm adapter plates.

These do not get touched when installing the bearing retainer plates.

This is a long shot, but perhaps the rear pulley assembly has started to fail, and shifted while working on it, changing the tension on the belt. This is the only thing I can think of that would have changed the tension on the belt if you did not touch the actual belt adjustment.

Oh, just thought of another possibility...perhaps one of the components of the swingarm pivot assembly is worn, and it shifted when you had the TG jacked up. Again, that is a long shot, but just trying to think of what could have resulted in the belt getting more loose.

If you get it figured out, please let us know.

Thanks,

Kevin

As I'm sure you know, the belt adjustment is made by sliding the axle back or forward on the swingarm adapter plates.

These do not get touched when installing the bearing retainer plates.

This is a long shot, but perhaps the rear pulley assembly has started to fail, and shifted while working on it, changing the tension on the belt. This is the only thing I can think of that would have changed the tension on the belt if you did not touch the actual belt adjustment.

Oh, just thought of another possibility...perhaps one of the components of the swingarm pivot assembly is worn, and it shifted when you had the TG jacked up. Again, that is a long shot, but just trying to think of what could have resulted in the belt getting more loose.

If you get it figured out, please let us know.

Thanks,

Kevin

I may have over estimated the amount of slackness in the belt. It was loose but not REAL loose. I didn't check it before I took it apart so it must have been that way before I started. When I adjusted the belt I use same procedure every time. While the trike is in the air on jack stands I adjust the deflection to 3/4 inch. By the time I get everything tightened down, wheels torgued and lowered to the lift, the deflection is 5/8 in. Every time. When everything gets heated up, that belt is like bow string. TIGHT. I like to run it a little looser than specs. I have read comments that if the deflection is any more than 7/16 in. the belt will slip around the pully. Bull in MHO. The belt would have to be VERY loose to slip around the pully.

When it comes to a trike a little tighter is better than looser according to my lead tech( since passed away) an old shovelhead guy like me. When doing a PDI on new trikes he leaves them tight as delivered from the factory.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ve7poi

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ve7poi
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png