I know it's coming soon.

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
My wife and I have been married nearly 51 years, and we have owned Boxers since our first year. Well we had our last girl put down about a year ago and it's been different for sure. No happy faces staring out at us when coming home and walking up the front porch, no sniffing at the bottom of the door when we pull into the garage on the bike. We have enjoyed the freedom that comes along with not having a dog, but the house just seems empty.

We will be going to Fla for two weeks in January and I can tell just by the wife's actions and what she looks at on the computer that it won't be long before another pup is in the house after we return. But at 70 years old my concern is who will look after it when we are gone and our son already has 3 dogs of his own. I hope to live longer than my 80's, but don't know if I want to go thru the heartbreak of losing another 4 legged family member.

My wife and I have been married nearly 51 years, and we have owned Boxers since our first year. Well we had our last girl put down about a year ago and it's been different for sure. No happy faces staring out at us when coming home and walking up the front porch, no sniffing at the bottom of the door when we pull into the garage on the bike. We have enjoyed the freedom that comes along with not having a dog, but the house just seems empty.

We will be going to Fla for two weeks in January and I can tell just by the wife's actions and what she looks at on the computer that it won't be long before another pup is in the house after we return. But at 70 years old my concern is who will look after it when we are gone and our son already has 3 dogs of his own. I hope to live longer than my 80's, but don't know if I want to go thru the heartbreak of losing another 4 legged family member.

I’ve had dogs in my household all of my life.. basically since the day I was born until maybe six or seven years ago. I’m 77 and I will get a dog in an instant if my wife would agree to it but she said after all these years of having a dog she doesn’t want to go through it again.. so as of now I have to be content with just looking at all the dogs collars from all the dogs I’ve had over the years that I have hanging up in my garage.. I’m going over to my sons house and let the dogs out for a run and actually as I’m typing this now I’m sitting in my sons yard with his two Frenchy’s just let them run around… Your wife wants a dog you want a dog don’t let your ages bother you and matter-of-fact having a dog around the house will keep you alive longer 👍… So my advice is to get two of them..🦮🦮👍👍..

Last edited:

This is such a difficult thing to decide. Other people will toss if off to - aw... dogs are adjustable - they'll find a loving home soon.

Just something to think about. My circumstance is: My goal is to live past these dogs' lives so that they won't be put out to a shelter. I don't know of anyone who would take them upon my demise. Three are rescue dogs and I would hate to have them separated now ... nobody is going to adopt them to keep them together... and ... people don't want senior dogs. They start having medical/dental problems and the vet $$$$ is extremely high today. I had 4 dogs, the oldest passed a year ago...I was down to 3. I had been taking care of a very elderly lady's dog on and off for the last 3 years. She passed away in June and had no family or friends that could/would take the dog... I just could not bear to let him go to a rescue facility... he's sweet, intelligent, housebroken, good, doesn't shed... so, I have 4 dogs again. They do keep me confined as to travel because it is so expensive to board them and I don't know anyone who would come in to take care of them. I did research some services that do this but they were actually higher than the boarding kennel. I could kick myself all around the world 10 times for doing this but I did, its done, I love him, and he has a home with me and 3 companions until one of us "deaths do us part".. My will has provisions for them... they are all senior enough I don't expect but maybe another 5-7 years left for them - trying my best to keep me healthy to be here for them.

You just have to decide what is best for you - much like trying to decide between motorcycle brands, kits, support for each.. and you know that drill... Good Luck and let us know what you do... there are no wrong decisions.

I am in the same boat its a constant fight with myself not to get another one and the wife thinks the same way I do

The wife and I have had dogs all our lives . We grew up with the dogs our parents had.

Three years ago we had to put our last dog down he was 13 years old

Out of all the dogs we/our parents had he was very special for some reason !

I dont want to go thru losing another one again its bothering me to type this now just thinking about him

Also we have gotten used to not having to rush home from someplace to let one out

and we can at a moments notice leave without having to make arrangements for a sitter

Which is nice and I mean days/weeks not just hours.

Plus we no longer have a fenced in yard. the dog would have to be walked several times a day

which I dont mind but my back would mind

So for the foreseeable future we will remain dog less

I think

As far as a shelter goes our neighbor always comes over and feeds them for us when we are gone for more than a day, plus we have a BIG yard that is fenced with 6 ft chain link along with a doggie door. And yes no matter how crappy of a day you are having, the pups are always glad to see ya. Decisions decisions.

I’ve had dogs in my household all of my life.. basically since the day I was born until maybe six or seven years ago. I’m 77 and I will get a dog in an instant if my wife would agree to it but she said after all these years of having a dog she doesn’t want to go through it again.. so as of now I have to be content with just looking at all the dogs collars from all the dogs I’ve had over the years that I have hanging up in my garage.. I’m going over to my sons house and let the dogs out for a run and actually as I’m typing this now I’m sitting in my sons yard with his two Frenchy’s just let them run around… Your wife wants a dog you want a dog don’t let your ages bother you and matter-of-fact having a dog around the house will keep you alive longer 👍… So my advice is to get two of them..🦮🦮👍👍..

At one time we had 3 boxers our male was nearly 100 lbs so with three of them in the bed with us a king sized bed rapidly became a single for the wife and I lol.

At one time we had 3 boxers our male was nearly 100 lbs so with three of them in the bed with us a king sized bed rapidly became a single for the wife and I lol.

Not to try to out do you.....At one time i had Two Newfies and a Wheaton.....

The Male Newf was extra large clocking in at 206...The Female was 165..

And if any of them got into/on our bed ' My Wife would have made bear skin rugs out of them and Me....:laugh:...And don't let anyone tell you that Newf's and Wheaton's don't shed.

At least the Wheaten didn't Drool....I would have to carry a Drool rag when walking the Newf's...:D....But Dam i miss them.....:(....

Had 3 Shitz Tzu’s. Bought one , inherited another and adopted the third . Hence the three Musketeers. After putting down the last one , my avatar , I didn’t want to go thru the heart breaking routine again .

A year had past . Having coffee and staring at my roommate, I said “There is somthing missing here” . That’s when both her and I realized we need another dog . We searched months to rescue another Shitz Tzu , but had no luck . We finally found a mixed Shitz and think Pug at a rescue foster home . Mr Beans has filled that void . The only question is who will outlive who !09607FA8-79BB-4B4B-8D11-F7EDEEC088B1.jpg

My last dog was part Shih Tzu, part poodle, mostly spoiled. Her family didn't want her because she wasn't all Shih Tzu. The fence climbing black poodle's owner took the black male puppy. My little dog was Queen of the Castle for 16 1/2 years.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kizmet

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kizmet
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png