getting into neutral

Apr 24, 2011
Massachsetts.,USA
I've only had my trike for 2 weeks so don't know if being new is the prob.When i try to shift to neutral with the engine running it just blows on by.If i turn it off it goes right in with out a prob.Could there be an adjustment that needs to be made? My Heritage never had this problem.:Shrug:

If you put Redline Heavy Shockprofe in the transmission it will be much easier to get into neutral. Do the clutch adjustment also. It also helps to use Redline Racing ATF in the primary. These steps will make for an easy shift to neutral.

My Dyna has always been a booger going into neutral, even before the conversion. As it has aged and mileage-ed either it has gotten better or I have gotten better. I added the modifications to the clutch (both at the cable and inside the tranny) and that makes my hand/wrist/forearm much happier, but no real change in the neutral. The only thing I have found that helps consistently is to rock it a little - unlevel ground makes it worse and shifting the weight around sometimes helps.
Oddly enough, it is somehow easy to every now and then to hit neutral in the middle of a left-hand turn when going for second! Aargh!

Well just talked to the sevice manager at the dealership.He says he knows of no adjustment that can be made to it.He told me it will wear in with use.So i guess it's just use it and wait.

My 2011 Tri Glide did that when I test drove it . They took it in the shop for about 15 min I tried it again and havent had any problem s at all 3500 miles later

My 2010 Tri became much better after about a thousand miles. I goose the throttle a hair(maybe 200-300 rpm) and it goes right to neutral.

I had the same problem with my 2011 TriGlide. Took it in for the 1000 mile service and told the service writer. They said they would fix it. Talked to the mechanic afterwards and he said he adjusted the clutch. It works great now. Actually it goes into neutral easier with the engine running now. I aso put 75-140 Amsoil in the tranny at 1000 miles.

I was having the same issue on my new 2011 TriGlide. After the first 500 miles of break-in and learning to pilot the thing, I noticed my shift lever was adjusted so high my heel had to come off the floorboard to shift. I pulled the heel shifter (hate em) and adjusted the shift lever down three teeth. Now, neutral is much easier to find (first try about 90% of the time). Put on a 12 buck shaft hider.

Well just talked to the sevice manager at the dealership.He says he knows of no adjustment that can be made to it.He told me it will wear in with use.So i guess it's just use it and wait.
You pay for a setup fee when you buy the bikes. Why would not the dealer try and do something. I find it hard to believe that he has never heard of that. I have had the same problems on my evo bikes and made chain and clutch adjustments and was smooth to shift it neutral all the time.

Anyway good luck.

Should not mater on the newer bikes but finding "N" in a running EVO sitting still just can not be done.

I've had 3 now and have never had any problems.

It may be because I'm a bit anal about keeping both the clutch and primary chain properly adjusted. I check both at every fluid change.

Many say that's not necessary, but I think not having problems on the road is well worth the extra 15 minutes.

One thing that was not mentioned.....If the transmission is overfilled with oil it will be a bear to find neutral...especially when the bike is hot. I've heard a lot of great reviews on Redline Shockproof oil but my nearest Redline dealer is 70 miles away!!

1. Find a different dealer or talk to the owner of the place that told you nothing could be done. At the very least the clutch and cable adjustments could have been checked.
There are certain things the dealers are reimbursed for under warranty and some things they are not. Sounds like that person is more worried about his stats for his area than interested in taking care of a customer.
2. Using Syn 3 improved shifting/finding neutral in my Ultra.
3. Get a service manual and do simple maintenance/adjustments yourself. Just keep receipts in case you are ever asked to produce proof of service being done for some warranty issue.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png