Likes Likes:  9
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Spyder vs Other

1+ Posts
    User ID
    Thanks

Default Spyder vs Other

I know this is a Can Am forum, and I'm a current Ryker Rally owner, but I'm looking to "move up." So I'm looking for experience/thoughts on the Spyder F3/RT vs HD Ultra or Honda conversions.

I'm looking for something with more driver comfort and ease of use; passenger use would only be about 10%. I despise the local (SE FL coast) Can Am dealer where I got my Ryker but there's not much choice for local maintenance; lots of HD shops around. Yeah cost of the HD looks higher and I've seen lots of comments that make me think I'd have to do a bunch of mod's for comfort and heat control right out the gate.

Comments?

60+ Posts
    User ID
    Thanks

Yes you will have to do a lot of mods right away on the HD and it still wont be that great !

I bought a 2022 Tri Glide in Sept of last year between the heat, the air buffeting, the rough ride, and the handling

I am seriously considering a Spyder Touring bike like the Sea to Sky

I have spent numerous Ben Franklins on air deflectors, floor board extensions, windshields, lift kits, and different helmets

and it still isnt a good piece of equiptment

I had a Goldwing with a Champion trike kit before. A 2005 model and it was by far a better trike. Even though it was 17 years older than this Harley Ferguson
    Four boxes keep us free
    The ballot box
    The soap box
    The jury box
    The cartridge box

350+ Posts
    User ID
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmonroe99 View Post
    I know this is a Can Am forum, and I'm a current Ryker Rally owner, but I'm looking to "move up." So I'm looking for experience/thoughts on the Spyder F3/RT vs HD Ultra or Honda conversions.

I'm looking for something with more driver comfort and ease of use; passenger use would only be about 10%. I despise the local (SE FL coast) Can Am dealer where I got my Ryker but there's not much choice for local maintenance; lots of HD shops around. Yeah cost of the HD looks higher and I've seen lots of comments that make me think I'd have to do a bunch of mod's for comfort and heat control right out the gate.

Comments?
    Sir - it seems like Warpad had a few concerns. I ride a Harley trike - but, not a TriGlide. Years ago, my wife had a GoldWing trike with a MotorTrike conversion; we love it.

So, when I was ready for a trike, instead of moving to a TriGlde, I converted my 2021 Ultra to a trike with the California Sidecar package. All of the upgrades and mods that Warpad mentioned are not an issue with this conversion.

It starts with the fact that the suspension is independent. You can also get the bike raked - in my caser, CSC uses 11 deg for the Harley. Add to that, the kit has a 5 year warranty.

So, while I will not steer you from the TriGlide, please consider a conversion.

1+ Posts
    User ID
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cycle7447 View Post
    Sir - it seems like Warpad had a few concerns. I ride a Harley trike - but, not a TriGlide. Years ago, my wife had a GoldWing trike with a MotorTrike conversion; we love it.

So, when I was ready for a trike, instead of moving to a TriGlde, I converted my 2021 Ultra to a trike with the California Sidecar package. All of the upgrades and mods that Warpad mentioned are not an issue with this conversion.

It starts with the fact that the suspension is independent. You can also get the bike raked - in my caser, CSC uses 11 deg for the Harley. Add to that, the kit has a 5 year warranty.

So, while I will not steer you from the TriGlide, please consider a conversion.

Very nice looking bike.

User ID
    Thanks

I rode a Gold Wing conversion for 4 years and over 40,000. It did everything a gold Wing was supposed to do. In the end I sold it and got a Can Am Spyder RTL. That was 8 years ago and I still love it. It runs great, is very comfortable, and still looks pretty good at 75,000+ miles. There have been a few glitches along the way but nothing terminalClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020728.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	111502 It is a 2012 model so it has the older VTwin/SE5 engine and transmission, but still goes down the road at freeway speeds, and is still very comfortable.
    Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

User ID
    Thanks

Unfortunately not every bike is right for everyone. For me my Tri Glide fits perfectly. The right recurve windscreen from LRS is really all I needed … rode it for 2 years now and we’ve put lime 10000 miles on it. Got it dialed in now. Can-am is just not for me but seems to work with many. Good luck in your search and research.
    Be who your dog thinks you are.

92500 + Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID
    Thanks

Can Am ‘ Honda ‘ Harley’ What ever makes you feel right.! No one machine fits all ..
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2019 Tri-Glide.......

350+ Posts
    User ID
    Thanks

Test drive all and buy what fits you and your comfort. Then you will be happy.