Gold Wing service

Jul 16, 2010
Axson, Georgia
I do my own service on my Harleys but this is a new critter to me, on the Harley evrything is easy to find since you can see it openly.

Being new to Gold Wing I have a few questions. Our new trike has 9,000 miles so I would like to start with a clean slate and fresh service.

(1) Anyone know of an online service guide?

(2) How many different fluids does a Gold Wing have?

(3) Best brands and weights for south Georgia?

(4) Recomended time frame between services?

(5) Locations of service areas and access?

(6) If I was to take this bike in for service what should I exect to pay for a service?

(7) One non service question, THe bike has a trailer hitch and wires have been ran for a trailer but they are just sealed off, a plug and some type of pulg mount needs to be installed. Is there a moun ting kit for the pulg so it just not hang loose from the tail end of the trike?

Thanks in advance everyone

EDIT: I forgot, this is a 2008 1800

Last edited:
If you don't have a Owners manuel get one from Honda, it will give you all the spec's on fluids and locations of drains & fill ports. Also buy a Service manuel it will have a lot of info on how every thing comes apart with pictures. I run Amsoil Full Synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil in the engine and transmission, only use Honda coolant pre-mix in the cooling system anything else will harm the seals in the water pump. The rearend fluid will depend on the kit manufacture, I run Amsoil 75w90 GL5 Synthetic in my Lehman kit, it is reverse applicable to GL2. I am like you had Harley's for 40 plus years and do my own service and repairs. You are going to enjoy the Wing, I put 7000 miles on my 05 last season, I would only get about 1/3 of that on my Harley's. Enjoy you new trike and ride safe because everybody is out to get us, you have to drive for everybody around you or it seems like that here in Kansas. Jay A.

I do my own service on my Harleys but this is a new critter to me, on the Harley evrything is easy to find since you can see it openly.

Being new to Gold Wing I have a few questions. Our new trike has 9,000 miles so I would like to start with a clean slate and fresh service.

(1) Anyone know of an online service guide?
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/
(2) How many different fluids does a Gold Wing have?
4 rear end, motor/trans, brake/clutch and radiator

(3) Best brands and weights for south Georgia?
What the owners manual says

(4) Recomended time frame between services?
As noted in the service manual, which you should get

(5) Locations of service areas and access?
Easy for routine items. Under the tupperware for others, such as the air filter

(6) If I was to take this bike in for service what should I exect to pay for a service?
Way to much! DIY

(7) One non service question, THe bike has a trailer hitch and wires have been ran for a trailer but they are just sealed off, a plug and some type of pulg mount needs to be installed. Is there a moun ting kit for the pulg so it just not hang loose from the tail end of the trike?
Mnfr. Part: # Kuryakyn 9183
Thanks in advance everyone

EDIT: I forgot, this is a 2008 1800

Good luck

Last edited:
I think I have this right.
engine and trans both share the same oil unlike the Harley, 10w40. Owners book says every 4,000 miles.

Air filter @ 12,000 and looks like a nightmare to change.

I think I have this right.
engine and trans both share the same oil unlike the Harley, 10w40. Owners book says every 4,000 miles.

Air filter @ 12,000 and looks like a nightmare to change.

It can seem that way but, take your time and pics as you remove/unplug connectors to get to it.
Also, it's up to you but, experience has taught me the air filter is good for at least 25K, unless you ride where there is significant dust/dirt in the air. However, might be best to follow the schedule and keep receipts as long as the bike has warranty.
Also, if you do get a Honda Service Manual and DIY, you do not need to remove the lower cowl to do a oil/filter change.
If you are referring to the Honda owners manual on the 4K oil change, you might want to check that again. The first oil change is to be @ 4K, then every 8K after that.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png