"F" "L" "R" "T" ????

Noodles107

250+ Posts
Dec 8, 2022
Myrtle Beach SC USA
"F" "L" "R" "T" ????

I'm pretty sure that this had to have been addressed multiple times here, so I apologize up front if you guys are saying "really, again?" but as a newbie I'm giving myself a pass and hope all you guys & gals are ok with it. Now that being said ... Harley gives letter designations to all their models and the Freewheeler gets the "FLRT" Every resource agrees that the "F" is for Big Twin, The "L" is for "Large Front End" and the "R" is never addressed and the "T" has several meanings?

So I just had Vanity Plates done and I included "FLRT" into the tag. They came out great and I have always had them done for all my previous bikes and most of my cars as well. Just a little personal touch that I definitely enjoy. I spent a minute or two trying to look up the "FLRT" actual meaning on the World Wide Web with several different results. A Vintage Harley Davidson site said "Text Us And We'll Unravel It For You" I did do that and they answered me within hours. That alone was impressive. They say "F" = Big Twin, "L" = Large Front End, "R" = Road King and "T" = Trike. ... Yes? No?

As Usual ... any input is always greatly appreciated

Thanks so much :)

Historically...the MOCO used letter designations to describe the ENGINE not necessarily the frame it was mounted in. For example the most beautiful HD ever built ( my opinion) was the 1971 FX "Sparkling America". F= factory OHV, X= experimental, more shocking than the bikes looks was the use of Sportster high compression heads.Add the Sportster front end and you had a bike that made quite a stir among the knowledgeable base. My '76 FXE...F= factory OHV, X= experimental. E= electric ( start). I will check my vast library of reference material and see when this all tuurned to shit- I think after the introduction of the Evo motor.

They say "F" = Big Twin, "L" = Large Front End, "R" = Road King and "T" = Trike. ... Yes? No?

Thanks so much :)[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. Prior to the "F" OHV, The 1936 EL((OHV) 61c.i.( 1000 cc) "knucklehead" set the stage for the 1941 FL ( ohv) 74 c.i. motor. So the "L" was the early designation for OHV motor and had nothing to do with the front end. BTW: the '36 design was so beautiful elements of it can be seen in the Crossbones. It was easy to" bob" those fenders and create an instant custom- sorta.

They say "F" = Big Twin, "L" = Large Front End, "R" = Road King and "T" = Trike. ... Yes? No?

Thanks so much :)

Incorrect. Prior to the "F" OHV, The 1936 EL((OHV) 61c.i.( 1000 cc) "knucklehead" set the stage for the 1941 FL ( ohv) 74 c.i. motor. So the "L" was the early designation for OHV motor and had nothing to do with the front end. BTW: the '36 design was so beautiful elements of it can be seen in the Crossbones. It was easy to" bob" those fenders and create an instant custom- sorta.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for playing ORD ... I see that you do have all the things that it "isn't" :) and some cool info on some vintage bikes. Any input on what it actually "is"? I'm a musician (among many other cool things) and have several Gibson Guitars. You can call Gibson 24/7 and a person will answer any and all your questions. Give them the serial # of the Guitar you would like info on and they will tell you everything about it. You would think that a company like Harley Davidson would have a similar resource ... You would think

1st Letter: This signifies the engine series.

G = Servicar three wheeler, 1937 to 1972

E = Overhead valve 61 cubic inch "big twin" (Engine and trans separated)

F = Overhead valve "Big Twin"

K = Side valve 45 and 55 cubic inch sports bike that replaced the WL in 1953 and was replaced by the Sportster® in 1957.

U = Side valve "big twin"

V - Side valve 74 cubic inch 1930-36

W - Side valve 45 cubic inch made 1937 to 1952

X = Sports and Special Construction

V = Revolution Motor

2nd Letter: Identifies the front end size

*This excludes the Sportster & V-Rod Models

L = Wide front tire and Hydra-Glide style front forks

X = Narrow Tire and Sport Forks

3rd Letter: Designates the frame style.

*This is where you can differentiate between a Touring, Softail, or Dyna Model

H/T = Highway/Touring Frame

ST = Softail Frame

D = Dyna Frame

Any additional letter indicates features that may accompany that particular bike family. This is usually where the confusion occurs since Harley tends to use the same letter to designate different features of a bike.

R - Rubber mounted engine (some models) racing version (other models)

T - Touring

1st Letter: This signifies the engine series.

G = Servicar three wheeler, 1937 to 1972

E = Overhead valve 61 cubic inch "big twin" (Engine and trans separated)

F = Overhead valve "Big Twin"

K = Side valve 45 and 55 cubic inch sports bike that replaced the WL in 1953 and was replaced by the Sportster® in 1957.

U = Side valve "big twin"

V - Side valve 74 cubic inch 1930-36

W - Side valve 45 cubic inch made 1937 to 1952

X = Sports and Special Construction

V = Revolution Motor

2nd Letter: Identifies the front end size

*This excludes the Sportster & V-Rod Models

L = Wide front tire and Hydra-Glide style front forks

X = Narrow Tire and Sport Forks

3rd Letter: Designates the frame style.

*This is where you can differentiate between a Touring, Softail, or Dyna Model

H/T = Highway/Touring Frame

ST = Softail Frame

D = Dyna Frame

Any additional letter indicates features that may accompany that particular bike family. This is usually where the confusion occurs since Harley tends to use the same letter to designate different features of a bike.

R - Rubber mounted engine (some models) racing version (other models)

T - Touring

Fun research project Jack, or not so much :) Everyone seems to agree on those 1st 2 letters. The "F" being Big Twin and the "L" being Large Front End. A wide variety of ideas on the "R" and the "T" ... All pretty cool and I know the Police won't come if I choose my fave (and easiest to explain) version. Thanks as always ...

So I'm getting ... "I see the Florida Retired but what is the 17" and "17 Flirt what does that mean" I even got a "First Last & Ready To Travel" Of course bike dudes and dudets know it's the model designation but I'm also having fun making stuff up.

Imports - 1 of 1.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png