Lehman Pads

Jun 22, 2017
Spokane, WA USA
Greetings all!!!

I'm having an issue, or at least I think I am with the brake pads on the kit. They seem to not travel back to where they should and seem to rub the disk pretty much all the time. I've cleaned the stems used to hold the brakes and made sure they were in good shape. I saw something the other day about someone putting a little grease on the travel pins on a set of breaks for a car. Not sure if I'm being clear enough but I'm wondering if I put a little grease on the mounting stems, do you think that will help the pads back off better from the rotor?

Chuck

brake.jpg

Greetings all!!!

I'm having an issue, or at least I think I am with the brake pads on the kit. They seem to not travel back to where they should and seem to rub the disk pretty much all the time. I've cleaned the stems used to hold the brakes and made sure they were in good shape. I saw something the other day about someone putting a little grease on the travel pins on a set of breaks for a car. Not sure if I'm being clear enough but I'm wondering if I put a little grease on the mounting stems, do you think that will help the pads back off better from the rotor?

Chuck

View attachment 111885

The pads on disk brakes will always rub the rotor (very lightly)..With the engine off in neutral on level ground if you could roll the Trike back-and-forth by hand easily then they are not rubbing to much..

Bob is correct. Disc brakes set up with very little clearance. That said if your brakes are dragging bad you may consider removing the pads, pushing the caliper dust shields flat and cleaning your pistons. This sometimes helps the pistons to release fully after braking.

Another question to consider is do you have a residual check valve on the rear brakes?

Some hold more pressure than others, this can add to drag

If its a Monarch II they have a tendency to make the rubbing noise while riding. This was a particular issue with all Monarch IIs and Lehman never quite fixed the issue with the Polaris calipers.

Disc brake pads should not travel far enough to see it once released, they stay withing skimming distance to the rotor. As long as they just hang there with no pressure behind them, they are fine. They move, but it's just enough that they aren't braking.

Hey Chuck,

all of the above replies are 100% correct.

I do and always have used brake quiet on my motorcycles and ATVs. Apply a bead to the mating surfaces of the pads to piston, and pad guides. Also lubricate the guide pins. Many videos how and where to use. Usually alleviates brake squeals nearly 100% unless you have a faulty brake system component.

Permatex.png

This comes from many different manufacturers as you can imagine, and over the last 30 years I haven't found any specific better than the other. This particular one is just one of my last ones I bought.

Hope this helps.

Lee

EDIT: here is a link showing how to:

21KOyzC4uFL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Also Jim Murphy and Al Timm always recommended when changing pads on Monarch IIs to use the anti-squeal on the pads due to the issues with the calipers with the pads. They recommended BG stop Squeal coatings for the pads.

2005 Lehman Monarch 11 Trike

Mick, I purchased my Lehman through Jim Murphy and have had to deal with squealing brakes from day one. He even put special pads on. He never mentioned or used the Stop Squeal on my trike. Right now I am in the market for some new pads. Do you know where, I can purchase a set for my 2005 Monarch 11 ?? Have about 51,000 on it.

EBC FA314R

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ebc+fa31...prefix=ebc+fa314r+pads,aps,126&ref=nb_sb_noss

Jim and Al and I had lenghty discussions about the calipers and pads. With using everything from the disc brake quiet on the back to the anti squeal on the pads. Some trikes seem to be more prone to it than others.The joke of it all is if they had drum brakes the pads would last longer than the disc pads and be a lot easier to deal with. Ive tried even using the grease on the back and the anti squeal on new pads seems to be the best solution as of yet.

Maybe it’s Apples 🍎 to Oranges 🍊 but I had a 2008 Spyder and every time I hit the brakes it sounded like a garbage truck stopping and the only thing that work was the anti-squeal it made a mess but it worked..

Maybe it’s Apples 🍎 to Oranges 🍊 but I had a 2008 Spyder and every time I hit the brakes it sounded like a garbage truck stopping and the only thing that work was the anti-squeal it made a mess but it worked..

On my own, I found the only thing I could do, was to not hit the brakes lightly. What ever works.

EBC FA314R

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ebc+fa31...prefix=ebc+fa314r+pads,aps,126&ref=nb_sb_noss

Jim and Al and I had lenghty discussions about the calipers and pads. With using everything from the disc brake quiet on the back to the anti squeal on the pads. Some trikes seem to be more prone to it than others.The joke of it all is if they had drum brakes the pads would last longer than the disc pads and be a lot easier to deal with. Ive tried even using the grease on the back and the anti squeal on new pads seems to be the best solution as of yet.

Thanks Mick

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png