Harley Trike front tire

Crocsr

10+ Posts
May 24, 2021
Seneca SC USA
Does anyone know of a car tire that will fit the front wheel of a trike? It would be a much improved performance especially on wear.

Does anyone know of a car tire that will fit the front wheel of a trike? It would be a much improved performance especially on wear.

I would think a car tire what with its flat profile will make the trike hard to steer in turns..

Apples to oranges here’ But I had a sportster with a flat profile front tire and making left and right turns out of an intersection or quickly pulling into a parking space it was a handful..

I have never seen anyone run a car tire on the front, I would think that it would not handle well on the crown of the road. Now you can run a MC rear tire turned around backwards that will give better mileage. My buddy has one on his trike, and while in Florida, I rode this bike for more than 600 miles, and it handles great. I don't think you will find a car tire skinny enough to fit between the lower legs.

Thank y'all for the input. I "think" don't know, but since a trike does not lean my guess is there would be no difficulty in steering with a car type tire on the front. If Vredestein doesn't have anything, I'll try the rear tire idea.

Thank y'all for the input. I "think" don't know, but since a trike does not lean my guess is there would be no difficulty in steering with a car type tire on the front. If Vredestein doesn't have anything, I'll try the rear tire idea.

It has nothing to do with leaning its has do with more tire (Flat) tread on the ground.

I've seen car tires on the rear of 2 wheeled Goldwing's, but never on the front. Not saying it has not been done, I've just never seen it.

My thoughts, and they are not proven, because we have done no testing, are that when going into a curve, especially aggressively, is that the normal scrubbing (slipping) the front tire does on a Trike would not be has smooth if the car tire did not have a nice rounded profile to it.

Kevin

Stallions Have a big wide flat front tire, they look to be 6 - 7" wide, They handle good & stick in the corners with no scuffing that I ever felt . got rid of mine awhile ago maybe somebody that has one can post a picture of it & the tire size ?

With a No Mar tire changer I have confirmed what DK Customs says about scuffing across the pavement. I have not and will not get into car tire testing on the front of the trike( get yer mama to do it). Screw that crap. I could see using a car tire if you were traveling across the the Kalahari and theres nothing else available. The motorcycle tire manufacturers spend fortune's developing motorcycle tires WTF are you thinking- you know more than them?

Apparently YOU are an expert. Perhaps your trike leans???

As a passed Harley repair shop owner and past Manufacturing Engineer at Harley, I looked long and hard into the issue to determine if a flat front tire could be used. I finally found the answer. Here's why you should not use a flat tire on the front. More contact with the pavement has more rolling resistance, which will make it even harder to steer/handle. Also, when you are turning, rake geometry of forks make the tire use the edges, not the center. Your trike uses more than just the tire center.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png