Erratic Reverse Motor Operation… Is The End Near?

hydraglide

150+ Posts
Dec 5, 2021
Woodridge,Il USA
I picked up my TriGlide a few days ago from my dealer after having some winter work done.

The first time I engaged reverse, I felt the customary “lurch”, then there was a pause (note I never took my thumb off of reverse engagement) then it “lurched” again and continued to back up normally.

Hmmmm… duly noted. Didn’t do it again the next time I engaged reverse (at home, as a test).

Today, reverse behaved normally (I need it to back out of my garage. Once I’m half way out the garage, with the driveway on a downward slope, I disengage reverse and let natural physics take over).

After a nice 200 plus mile ride, I stopped by my dealer and when I attempted to back it into a parking space, same issue. With my thumb on the reverse engagement button, it “paused” then continued in reverse.

When I got home (on flat ground) I tried engaging reverse a few times and I had an instance when it “paused”, but did not continue to back up.

I continued to press the reverse engagement button for like 5 seconds… nothing. Reverse “R” light was solid (no blinking). I took my thumb off the button then pressed down again and it immediately “lurched” and acted fine.

I’m suspecting my reverse motor is not long for this world. It’s under an extended warranty so I’m covered, but… thought I’d ask you all to get some opinions.

A mechanical reverse isn’t in the picture since I have the extended warranty. I’m just looking to see if anyone else has experienced the symptoms described and if they found a solution.

My guess is the solution is replacing the reverse motor.

And also, reverse is something I need and use. I don’t “abuse it”, but I “use it”.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Warranty will not pick up till it dies . I’ve been wrong before , but I think that’s how the program works . :Shrug:

Warranty will not pick up till it dies . I’ve been wrong before , but I think that’s how the program works . :Shrug:

Tell them it died and you had to push but it started back to working but it is not working right. After they replace it ask if you could have the old one back. I did that and I was told it had to be turned in for warranty but when I picked up my bike it was in the tour pack. I took it apart and cleaned the brushes and holders. so I would have a spare for when the warranty was gone.

I'll find out next week! It's either the motor, switch or wiring... But something ain't working right! Switch would be the easiest thing to swap out and try first, IMO.

Tell them it died and you had to push but it started back to working but it is not working right. After they replace it ask if you could have the old one back. I did that and I was told it had to be turned in for warranty but when I picked up my bike it was in the tour pack. I took it apart and cleaned the brushes and holders. so I would have a spare for when the warranty was gone.

And now ya go rid of the Harley. You can donate the started to me at MV & I would be very happy. :clapping::clapping::clapping: I would rebuild for a spare .lol

Just rebuilt the reverse motor on my brothers Tri. Lasted 10 years. Instead of getting ass raped by the dealer here's what youll need: OEM Z/M solenoid( save and use your old plunger) for reverse motor 83388-09/9A. Reverse motor armature and brush holder w/ brushes. You can find them on Fleabay for a total cost of around $ 120.00+-.The plunger is proprietary and HD doesnt sell it separately - at least thats what I was told.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carl-FLRT

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carl-FLRT
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png