Front Rotors heating up, burned up six rotors so far

TOHOG

5+ Posts
May 23, 2019
Toronto, Ontario Canada
2018 Tri-glide with linked brakes. Had issues since nearly new. Replaced rotors three times, pads, many times, master cylinder and still after a few thousand km one or the other front rotors will over heat and eventually warp.

Dealer and my loyal indy have not been able to cure this issue.I use both front and rear brakes all the time. fluid is good and has been changed a couple of times.

Trying to find out if there are others out there who have suffered this wicked issue.....

Currently bike otherwise in excellent condition.

Have they checked the calipers?

Possible problem they are not releasing completely, also front hoses could be internal collapsing causing calipers to not release completely

Go for a ride, after returning, pump the front brakes a couple times, crack the front caliper bleeders, does fluid stream out?

My 17 has done the same thing, and here is how cured it. I removed one caliper at a time, then removed the pads. Find a block of wood or something that will go between one set of pistons at a time. then slowly pump the front brakes until the pistons move out about a 1/4 inch. Using a soft toothbrush and brake cleaner, spray the piston and scrub all around it a couple times. then clean with a paper towel. Then using a disc brake grease apply a small amount of grease to the piston, then press it back in. Then pump it out again to make sure it doesn't stick.

Do this to both front pistons which are the larger pistons, once you have cleaned all 4 pistons you can move to the two smaller pistons that set between the bigger pistons. These are the rear brake pistons that are actuated when you apply the rear brakes. I had to do this in the parking lot of a motel when I was in Cherokee NC. So now this is something I do every spring.

2018 Tri-glide with linked brakes. Had issues since nearly new. Replaced rotors three times, pads, many times, master cylinder and still after a few thousand km one or the other front rotors will over heat and eventually warp.

Dealer and my loyal indy have not been able to cure this issue.I use both front and rear brakes all the time. fluid is good and has been changed a couple of times.

Trying to find out if there are others out there who have suffered this wicked issue.....

Currently bike otherwise in excellent condition.
Harley-Davidson Customer Care: 1-800-258-2464

Did you have it documented with your dealer? If so its a non resolved issue. What do you have to lose?

Dealer got pissed because I did not accept their explanation that it had to be my fault. They finally gave me my money back and asked me to never come back. So, now that warranty period is exhausted and they have kicked me out of Dlrship ...... what????

It could be the brake hose from the MC has failed internally, this happens a lot on cars and trucks.

Item 9 in the illustration:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/...4f95d9/16f320a9-6ea1-478a-bad2-dc865bdd9d72/y
This is what happened to my '99 F150. Had me stumped until I remembered that we had to change out the hydraulic hoses for the recuperator on our 155mm self propelled howitzers. Orders came down to change from cherry juice ( hydraulic fluid) to lemon juice. 6 months later the hoses were collapsing internally. So it was back to cherry juice.

Dealer got pissed because I did not accept their explanation that it had to be my fault. They finally gave me my money back and asked me to never come back. So, now that warranty period is exhausted and they have kicked me out of Dlrship ...... what????

Than you should have paper that says it was not resolved as Old Road Dog stated. I would explain Mother Harley as you have here, including the last episode with your dealership. You may get it fixed since it happen under warranty, which will be great! If not, you're not any worst off than you are now. Maybe some of the solutions mention here will solve the problem and you can mention them to the dealership/or do them.

Than you should have paper that says it was not resolved as Old Road Dog stated. I would explain Mother Harley as you have here, including the last episode with your dealership. You may get it fixed since it happen under warranty, which will be great! If not, you're not any worst off than you are now. Maybe some of the solutions mention here will solve the problem and you can mention them to the dealership/or do them.

Thanks for the follow-up. I was on HOLD with H-D for 40 mins this morning.... had to hang up. BUT do appreciate ALL the responses from those here. Encouragement and some things to check helps.

I have reviewed the emails and the "kiss-off" from the original dealer and am prepared to put forth a good effort with the MOCO.

I will keep the forum updated.

Also

All suggestions have been passed on to my Indy (harley trained) who is in my corner. He is working on the calipers now to thoroughly clean and check them out as well as check out the lever position to make sure it is somehow causing the brakes to be on when I am not on the lever.

Spring has finally come to Toronto and my bike is in the shop .... back to yard clean I guess for the next day or so.

Thanks for the follow-up. I was on HOLD with H-D for 40 mins this morning.... had to hang up. BUT do appreciate ALL the responses from those here. Encouragement and some things to check helps.

I have reviewed the emails and the "kiss-off" from the original dealer and am prepared to put forth a good effort with the MOCO.

I will keep the forum updated.

Also

All suggestions have been passed on to my Indy (harley trained) who is in my corner. He is working on the calipers now to thoroughly clean and check them out as well as check out the lever position to make sure it is somehow causing the brakes to be on when I am not on the lever.

Spring has finally come to Toronto and my bike is in the shop .... back to yard clean I guess for the next day or so.
Dont tell the MOCO your using an Indy.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png