Good Goldwing Trike Conversions to consider?

Apr 14, 2023
Del Rio, TN, USA
I've ridden for decades, and owned a Wing in the past (2008 model). Now I'm interested in a trike for two-up touring with the wife-would like the extra space over my K1600GTLE 2 up-and that bike has a high center of gravity, especially with a passenger (love it solo!). So, I'm looking for a ~2006-'18 bike (what year did the fix the cooling issue again?) and would like recommendations for trike kits to consider, and also what ones to stay away from. And I guess any other general info or things I should be aware of. I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I didn't find anything with the search terms I tried, and it seems as if most posts are specific to an individual kit or issue.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Check our https://endeavortrikes.com

I had mine triked by Norm last June. After 5000 miles I am totally satisfied.

I went with a reverse trike kit because it didn't change the seating for my wife and I, unlike the standard configuration.

The kit also includes another radiator and fan. Riding in 100 degree plus weather isn't and issue.

One of the biggest selling points for me was having two wheels up front providing stopping power instead of one skinny tire.

I've ridden for decades, and owned a Wing in the past (2008 model). Now I'm interested in a trike for two-up touring with the wife-would like the extra space over my K1600GTLE 2 up-and that bike has a high center of gravity, especially with a passenger (love it solo!). So, I'm looking for a ~2006-'18 bike (what year did the fix the cooling issue again?) and would like recommendations for trike kits to consider, and also what ones to stay away from. And I guess any other general info or things I should be aware of. I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I didn't find anything with the search terms I tried, and it seems as if most posts are specific to an individual kit or issue.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The only company that builds a conventional trike conversion for the K1600GTL is Hannigan Trikes in Murray Kentucky and it is a good conversion. I've converted several of these and they are a real solid unit.

Sounds like you want an entirely different bike - not to convert your current bike.

There are a number of kits here - CSC - Roadsmith - MotorTrike - Hannigan - all have some advantages.

I opted for the CSC kit as it met my needs. I also ride a Harley - i my opinion, the conversion was a bit better that the standard TriGlide - again, there are some advantages and disadvantages. As an example, if I had a TirGlide, I could keep the Harley warranty. Still with the CSC, I have a 5-year conversion warranty - but that is only on the kit.

My suggestion - determine what bike you want first. If buying the model year, you described earlier, you can find a used one already built. We can then offer some more suggestions.

The only company that builds a conventional trike conversion for the K1600GTL is Hannigan Trikes in Murray Kentucky and it is a good conversion. I've converted several of these and they are a real solid unit.

I'm sorry, I didn't write that well I guess. I'll be keeping the K bike for solo, looking at picking up a Goldwing Trike.

- - - Updated - - -

2006 and newer Goldwings have larger radiators and fans.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was the last year of the smaller ones, or first of the bigger ones. '06 did stick in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you want an entirely different bike - not to convert your current bike.

There are a number of kits here - CSC - Roadsmith - MotorTrike - Hannigan - all have some advantages.

I opted for the CSC kit as it met my needs. I also ride a Harley - i my opinion, the conversion was a bit better that the standard TriGlide - again, there are some advantages and disadvantages. As an example, if I had a TirGlide, I could keep the Harley warranty. Still with the CSC, I have a 5-year conversion warranty - but that is only on the kit.

My suggestion - determine what bike you want first. If buying the model year, you described earlier, you can find a used one already built. We can then offer some more suggestions.

Yeah, I didn't make my post clear (well, it was clear to me :) ). I'm looking at a triked Wing, '06-17 model year. Hopefully with the heat package (the grip and seat heaters are a major selling point!). I had nav on my last Wing, could do without it, phone was better. Just looking to learn who makes a good (or bad) kit for the wing.

check out Papa Zook he has Goldwing's triked and ready, mine was triked at Complete Cycle in Rome Georgia and they usually have some ready.

check out the Maggie Valley gathering in September and come on down. :GL1800:

If you are in Hendersonville NC you can rent a trike from Shroeders. Or other places in TN where you can look at the different attributes each builder has.

For a GL1800, get a California Side Car (CSC). CSC is as reputable as they come, they offer tremendous support to thier products and builders, and they continue to improve their products.

However, be sure to choose your builder carefully, and stay away from the discount builders. Not only do some builders short-cut their work, they often do little to no maintenace on the Wing itself. Many won't want to see you ever again until it is time to take your money for another trike. They'll even send you else where to fix their warranty repairs. Many of the discount dealers buy wrecked GW, trike them as fast as they can, and sell them cheap. If buying one already completed, be sure to CarFax the vin.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I'm looking at a lot of tikes on FB Marketplace. Concerning the year/cooling issue-I know the cooling system was upgraded in the Wing in '06. I'm seeing a number of earlier bikes-is the cooling a problem on earlier ones with a trike kit? Also IIRC there were a few years of Wings that had issues with improperly welded frames, does anyone recall just when?

Thanks for all the info everyone, I'm looking at a lot of tikes on FB Marketplace. Concerning the year/cooling issue-I know the cooling system was upgraded in the Wing in '06. I'm seeing a number of earlier bikes-is the cooling a problem on earlier ones with a trike kit? Also IIRC there were a few years of Wings that had issues with improperly welded frames, does anyone recall just when?

I recall the welded frames issue - that was back in 2001/2002. As I recall, Honda did a recall on these. I have not heard of any problems with those that were redone.

Funny thing - I was riding Wings back then and was in the market for a new Wing. When I heard about the issue, Honda kept saying that such was not true. Still, I know of a guy that had the problem and had heard of others. Honda kept saying - not true.

Had this never happened (their denial), I probably would have never considered a Harley.

I had an 02 that I rode for more than 10 years without a problem, and we have some pretty warm weather here in the desert S.W. The problem with heating only happens at slow speeds when air is not passing through the radiators for an extended period of time. (Like Parades). The bigger radiators help but do not completely eliminate the issue. My recollection of the frame weld problem is, I went to the dealer who inspected it and made some kind of mark on the frame to indicated it had been looked at.

I'd like to thank everyone that took the time to respond, especially Papa Zook who I had some private convos with. I ended up picking up a blue 2005 wing with a Hannigan trike conversion outside of Atlanta. Picked it up Friday and rode it home (about 270 miles). Had a pretty good time on the ride. Only minor issue was I didn't get home until about 10pm, and had to ride I-40 by the TN/NC border.

This stretch is very curvy, narrow lanes, and lots of traffic-and my headlights need a little adjusting. But even with that, it was a good ride, and I'm getting more comfortable and confident with every mile. Oh-other issue was the cruise control wasn't working-the button was not latching due to old, dried grease (same with the mute button but that was locked in). A little penetrating oil, contact cleaner and a heat gun freed them up, all good now. Gave it a good cleaning/detailing and fixed a few minor things over the weekend.

Both my brother and a neighbor friend has a Hannigan and were happy with them. And of course, the wife loved the color so that sealed the deal.

Completely different than riding a bike. Had to get used to driving, not riding, and not being able to maneuver much in a lane. But I think we're going to like it for two-up, wife went for a ride yesterday. Unfortunately it's been cold (by her standards) since we brought it home. The bike is pretty "basic" (no heat, no nav, no sound system upgrade (and no rear speakers)). But oddly has ABS (I thought that was an extra-cost option that year) and CB. But the trike kit was pretty loaded, though I wish it had the aux fuel tank. And I think the previous owner had bought most of the chrome goodies Kuryakyn sold.

trike.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png