Updating DMV record once trike conversation is done

May 14, 2023
Virginia
Hello,

I just purchased a 2023 Goldwing with the intent of making it a trike using the CSC kit. Once the conversation is done do I need to tell the department of motor vehicle )DMV about it ( I live in Virginia)? The reason I am asking is because the VIN is tied to a two wheel motorcycle and I want to make sure if police stopped me for whatever reason they are not going to say the VIN is not registered to a trike.

Thanks

Hello,

I just purchased a 2023 Goldwing with the intent of making it a trike using the CSC kit. Once the conversation is done do I need to tell the department of motor vehicle )DMV about it ( I live in Virginia)? The reason I am asking is because the VIN is tied to a two wheel motorcycle and I want to make sure if police stopped me for whatever reason they are not going to say the VIN is not registered to a trike.

Thanks

Mike Welcome to Trike Talk..👍👍… Maybe Apples to Oranges but here in New Jersey all Trikes , Be it a Spyder’ Slingshot, Or an conversion they’re all registered as a motorcycle

And have motorcycle plates…..But with conversions you will have to notify your insurance company because usually the conversion part will be considered an accessory. So You would have to have extra coverage for that…

There are a few states that do weird stuff with trikes but for the most the DMV don't know and will be be completely thrown a loop if you ask.Like Bob said Registration is unaffected but bump the accessory portion of your insurance enough to cover the cost of the kit.If your agent says no need or the cost is the same as before they don't know what their talking about and you will be paid for bike only and what accessory coverage you have which is usually about 1k by default if something happens.The exception is some companies in some states offer a trike policy but they are few.

My experience when I lived in Illinois. The process was as clear as mud. I too started off with a bike with Illinois title and registration and later triked it. According to Illinois Secretary of State, title had to reflect that it was now a trike. I had to submit state forms along with an affidavit from builder showing what was done along with surrendering my title. When I received the new title it now contained 2 VIN #'s (Original bike VIN and the CSC kit VIN) and classification was changed to trike. It still kept the original motorcycle plates.

A buddy in Illinois bought a trike from a place outside Illinois and when he got his Illinois title, it only had the Honda VIN but was classified as a trike.

When I moved to Wisconsin, I surrendered the Illinois title but the Wisconsin title only has the single Honda VIN number and pretty sure it was listed as a trike though. I can't get to the Wisconsin title right now to make sure that's how it was classified. And regular Wisconsin motorcycle plates as well.

It would be best to contact your own DMV and see how they want to handle it as each state handles it differently.

Ok, looks like I stand corrected. Here is the title I ended up with in Illinois

20190820_103910.jpg

And I was able to look at my Wisconsin title which has cycl under Chassis and also lists it as a motorcycle. I guess they know best but the title I surrendered to Wisconsin definitely stated it was a trike...

I sent a copy of my receipt (and 100% of the extra service that had to be done to turn it into a TRIKE) into my insurance company.. (Plus a picture of my new trike) They were happy that I did that cause now there is no confusion, on what they insured for me...

Ronnie

9/9/23

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png