AZ Stores Trike titled as Trailer. Endorsement needed?

Hi everyone 😃

I just applied for a change of title on my 1983 Stores type trike. It was titled as a Trailer. The DMV tried to title it as either a motorcycle or a trike and was told by her supervisor that she could only title it as a trailer. Given this technicality in title, would a trike endorsement still be required? It's apparently not a trike.

Matthew Ransom

Camp Verde AZ

Hi everyone 😃

I just applied for a change of title on my 1983 Stores type trike. It was titled as a Trailer. The DMV tried to title it as either a motorcycle or a trike and was told by her supervisor that she could only title it as a trailer. Given this technicality in title, would a trike endorsement still be required? It's apparently not a trike.

Matthew Ransom

Camp Verde AZ

Mat..Welcome to Trike Talk..👍..I wish I could be of help but the DMV’s in most states work in their own mysterious ways…

Nj mv screwed up my title a few years ago. So I made them issue a new one. Of course they screwed it up again. Only I didn't know it at the time. The new title said trk on it. I didn't think anything of it. Because the original said trike on it. So when I went there a few years later. They said it was a truck not a trike. So they wouldn't renew as a motorcycle.

They finally hooked me up with a guy in Trenton. He said there was nothing he could do. I said you know mv screwed this up they should be able to fix it. I said it's a motorcycle I have old pictures of it. I even have a picture of it with license plate. And I have an old registration. Well that perked him up. He said take the pictures to mv and have them call me and we'll straighten out. They did,I was thankful believe me.

I believe you mean a Stires trike? Maybe if they run the numbers under Stires it will come up correctly. I'll just mention mv are the worst. My trouble started when she stamped my title void. She didn't read that it was already in my name.

When I bought my first Goldwing CSC Trike, I was in ND and asked them about titling it as a trike and they said they title as a motorcycle. So when we moved to AZ, went to motor vehicle and said we wanted to license and title in AZ and it is a trike and how do you title it here? She told me it is titled as a motorcycle, so good enough.

Sold that trike and bought an 18 Honda Goldwing motorcycle and last year had a CSC Encore kit installed, went back to MV, just to be sure and asked them again if it needed to be titled as a trike and another Lady said No, it is still a motorcycle. So I didn't question them as I didn't want a screwed up title and then try and get it straightened out.

So if I get stopped, I rather doubt a police officer is going to get technical about it. If so I will worry about it then.

I found this definition by the state of Arizona. If the trike fits this definition, then you need to show it to the DMV.

Arizona Revised Statute Title 28 - Transportation Article 1, 28-101 Definitions

47. "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and that is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground but excludes a tractor, an electric bicycle, an electric miniature scooter, an electric standup scooter and a moped.

https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/00101.htm

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png