40-Year Air Force Retiree Thinking About Triking 2021 Goldwing DCT

Jul 17, 2023
Amboy
40-Year Air Force Retiree Thinking About Triking 2021 Goldwing DCT

Hello all - I recently retired from the Air Force after a 41-year career (24 years active duty and 17 years AF Civilian). My wife did an amazing thing: She bought me a 2021 Goldwing DCT for my retirement gift (yes; I'm VERY thankful - I've never owned a new motorcycle before). She wants me to "Trike my Bike" for the both of us to take on long roadtrips to B.C. Canada and the upper PNW where we live. We both completed a two-day Can-Am sponsored Trike class about 4 months ago and we were thinking about buying a used Can-Am trike and keeping our Wing. However, my wife REALLY likes the look of Goldwing trikes. Question: Has anyone owned both a Can-Am AND a Goldwing Trike? We'd like to ride a Goldwing trike before we modify our DCT. I just looked for a Goldwing trike to rent near us and not surprisingly, none are available. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Aim High!

Hello all - I recently retired from the Air Force after a 41-year career (24 years active duty and 17 years AF Civilian). My wife did an amazing thing: She bought me a 2021 Goldwing DCT for my retirement gift (yes; I'm VERY thankful - I've never owned a new motorcycle before). She wants me to "Trike my Bike" for the both of us to take on long roadtrips to B.C. Canada and the upper PNW where we live. We both completed a two-day Can-Am sponsored Trike class about 4 months ago and we were thinking about buying a used Can-Am trike and keeping our Wing. However, my wife REALLY likes the look of Goldwing trikes. Question: Has anyone owned both a Can-Am AND a Goldwing Trike? We'd like to ride a Goldwing trike before we modify our DCT. I just looked for a Goldwing trike to rent near us and not surprisingly, none are available. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Aim High!

Greg… Welcome to Trike Talk..👍👍..

Welcome to Trike Talk and Thank you for your service. I doubt if you will find a Goldwing for rent that being said I have a 2019 Goldwing /CSC and I would recommend it rides good with more room for your wife to put stuff. Find a Trike rally and talk to some people in person who knows someone might just let you ride one maybe.

Hi Gregory,
welcome.gif
Welcome to Trike Talk.............:wave4:

Thank you for your service

Air Force here 1964 / 1968

Hello Gregory! Thank you for your service! Welcome to TrikeTalk.

I rode a 2008 GW GL1800 Motor Trike, independent suspension, conversion for 9 years. I LOVED that thing. She never failed me, not once… all the power, and the comfort of the independent suspension, not to mention room for packing “stuff”, was the best. I had no expertise nor tools to do even the mundane maintenance and therefore relied on an independent mechanic. In late 2020 he told he would not be doing this line of work anymore due to age and health reasons so that pretty much left me on the side of the road, so to speak, as there are no trike mechanics in my area. My mechanic was 150 miles from me.

I turned to a brand new 2021 Spyder RTL. The dealer is only 40 or so miles away. It is a very nice vehicle and so far I have liked it more than I thought I ever would. It is comfortable to ride but the Spyder is a very different animal, handling-wise, from the Gold Wing and one must realize this and adjust accordingly. I do appreciate not having to hold the clutch in at a long stoplight. It does have good power and braking. It is a 1330 and is a lightweight vehicle. I no longer get to take long overland trips, as I did on the 2-wheelers and the GW trike, so the storage on the Spyder is adequate but not enough for overland trips for 2 people unless they can pack pretty skinny. However, I have ridden all day long in my general area and am not unnecessarily tired or hurting in any way at the end of the day. I ride solo unless someone is unexpectedly without their bike.. then 2-up we go on the Spyder. The backseat on the Spyder is larger than the Gold Wing. The driver’s stance is a touring sit-up-straighter style.. like the Gold Wing, which I like.

Bottom line.. if I could, I would have kept my GW trike forever. But, I am content with the Spyder so far.. keeps me out there.

If you are looking for suggestions for a conversion kit I personally would recommend a California Side Car kit, Motor Trike, Hannigan, or Roadsmith. You might want to check around your area to find out distance of the dealers from you. Be sure to get independent suspension as it is more comfortable for your passenger.

Let us know what you decide.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REDMAN197307

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REDMAN197307
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png