2017 linked brakes issues

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
My 2017 has a linked braking system , not ABS. After about a year after getting it [ new] I had the left front brake caliper fail to release completely and it turned the rotor very dark. The caliper and rotor were replaced under warranty, so last summer the replaced caliper did it again. So, this time I removed the caliper and pumped the brakes to make the pistons move out and cleaned the caliper and pistons with brake clean then reinstalled, then the right caliper did it while riding the Blue Ridge Parkway, so in a parking lot I removed the caliper and cleaned again. Well it happened last weekend again, now keep in mind I have always had the brake fluid replaced as required and it is always the front calipers and never the rear. The front calipers are 6 piston calipers so finding aftermarket calipers are out of the question because no one makes a caliper with two hoses except for HD [Brembo]. So I have just a few options, 1 replace with factory calipers which I don't think will help 2 replacing with Performance Machine 4 piston calipers and making the front and rear systems separate. 3 replace front brake line assembly hoping that will fix the issue. I have my doubts that it is the hose assemblies since it has happened to both front calipers at different times. I am just stumped by this.

I would also check the master cylinder to ensure the brake fluid was returning through the little bleed hole at the bottom of the master and not getting plugged up not allowing the fluid to release in the caliper.

Arlen Ness makes a 6 piston caliper. They're not cheap though. Not sure about price comparison with HD.

Edit: Performance Machine is also showing a 6 piston as well.

You don`t see many posts on any forums about the late model calipers having issues.

If the calipers release when you crack open the bleeder, it tells you the issue is upstream of the caliper.

I went though this on my 15 tri-glide. My right caliper did this very thing. I remove both of them and ran the pistons out as far as i dare and cleaned the with brake cleaner and a old tooth brush. I then sprayed some silicone spray on the o-rings and reinstalled.

No problems since and i am coming up on needing new pads. They cheaped out on these calipers by not using dust seals on them. No dust seals allow dirt to build up in the bores.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png