shifter

May 6, 2011
florida
Can someone tell me helpful hints on how to install a shifter.

My trike came with a very short rod, box, no actual shifter handle. and was not yet welded to frame. It looks as if they wanted to mount it to the side about the same area as the front seat. left side.
However i want to mount it in front of me (between legs at front seat).

Is it safe to just get a straight rod, cut to length, and weld that sucker up?
I have already ordered a new coupling. But wanted to find out what i need before i go spending $$$ on stuff that wont work.

Yes, straight rod for the shifter rod, but if it is to be mounted in any angle where the shifter rod would not be in a straight line from the transaxle shift rod you will need to a good quality universal joint where the two rods (shifter and transaxle) are joined. Angles less than 10 degrees would probably work with a stock VW shifter coupling there. Anything over about 10 degrees will need a u-joint with more movement.

Once you decide exactly where you want to mount it, post some good close-up photos and we can likely advise better.

So i got some parts.. welded them on, and the shifter will not work. I got the universal rod. A box and a shifter for 68 and up. Now i just took a guess with the shifter.. I have no clue what year my tranny is, and the trike did not have a shifter when i bought it, just an old cut up rod hanging from it.

It seems as if the shifter will not reach all the way into the rod end. Just pops out when i tried to shift. Did i get the wrong shifter??? Would a universal short shift work perhaps?

Sounds like you've mounted the box, or welded the box with the forward end tilted too far out of alignment with the transaxle shift rod. The shifter box needs to aligned to 'aim' the rod directly at the transaxle shift rod tip. If the front end of the box is tipped too far out of alignment it will not hold the 'universal' rod close enough to the shifter to keep the ball in the socket.

A solution to the problem (if it is welded together) would be to get a true (salvaged) VW shifter rod and use it. The socket on the true VW rod is about 1/4" to 3/8" taller than the aftermarket universal rods. Another advantage is that the true VW rod ends (the socket) are about twice the wall thickness of the aftermarket coupling and will last forever.

However, a picture (or two or three) is worth a thousand words when diagnosing this stuff. And as always for me, I put a money-back guarantee on all advice.

i will get pics soon, but i took everything apart. my shifter is a true vw. at least that what i was told lol, but it does have a small vw engraving on it. looks factory.

Even aimed straight. the ball just barely sits in the socket.

I searched around for pics to compare my shifter to others but could not find anything close up enough. Mine is like a half ball, flat on the bottom with a little bearing in it.

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

second pic is view from inside box. It just doesn't look long enough to me.

I don't have easy access to a complete shifter unit right now, but:
1. I did find enough to measure that from the bottom of the shifter housing to the bottom of the shifter ball (flat part) when seated is only about 1" (I say about because all mine are modified to lower that ball about 1/4" to make them 'short shifters' so I couldn't get an exact stock reading.
2. Other than a pin that was used on bent style shifters, the lower end of the VW shifters didn't change, so the one you bought should work.
3. You are installing the nylon bushing in the back of the shifter box, right?
4. When does the ball slip out of the socket, when moving side to side, or when moving forward to back, or both?

I tried also, and didn't find any good diagrams (Internet searches) showing the shifter mechanism.

By the way, when the shifter problem is solved and you are ready for final installation you might consider if you want to cut (grind or otherwise) that reverse block tab off the plate (the one that makes you push down to get reverse). Depending on the location of your shifter, most VW trike builders find it easier to not have to push down to get to reverse. There really is not much 'gear grinding' once you've shifted a few times and gotten used to it and the easy access to reverse is a blessing.

Haven't had much time to mess with it, but today i assembled everything on the ground just see what it looked like lined up straight. The ball still just barely sits on the top of the socket. Its as if the shifter just isnt long enough. Id love to see a pic of one to get an idea of where i need to be, but i cant seem to find anything online.

I have mine apart right now. Will try to get you some pictures. as far as I know.... Or as far as I have read... My shifter is pretty radical. No joint, just a two and a half offset in the rod. Anyways.. will try and get you some pics

I went ahead and mounted the box.. its pretty low, but i wanted it to be a straight shot to the trans. I can always extend the shifter if i need to.

The shifter seems to work, but without the trike running i really cant say yet. And i have a ton of work before i get there. Just needed to get the welding done so i can move on to some other frame work, then paint.

Still pictures would be great help! Just to see if its correct or not.

yeah i used the bushing lol.. It seems to work now btw! :)
Still haven't been able to take it out for a test run though, was going to a few days ago and the damn hand throttle broke :( . So got a new one ordered.

IMG00021-20110626-1431.jpg

IMG00020-20110626-1431.jpg

first two pics are is how looked when i got it. I got all new ignition and motor wiring, plus added a wire harness for lighting.
Had to clean up a lot of nasty welds and rust. Stripped it down to bare metal. Its now primed and painted, i used truck bed liner spray, had my doubts at first with the bedliner stuff, but it came out really damn good!
Also got rid of the old home made handle bars and got 14" chrome ape hangers.
Im not using the old gas tank or body... I got a nice aluminum tank as you can see.
Right now im working on a building a new body, it will only be on the front half.
Will post more pics when i can ;)
3n13pd3l95O15V25R5b4ef5a29beb895f1ae5.jpg

142405185-1.jpg

IMG00028-20110618-1427.jpg

IMG00020-20110612-1427.jpg

IMG00035-20110618-1507.jpg

IMG00034-20110618-1507.jpg

This thing is a real pain! was working ok for a while, now i can only shift from 1st to 3rd.
i can get 4th if i push down on the shifter while shifting, as you would in reverse. There has to be a shifter with a longer shaft than what i got.

ok, well i think i got it this time! had to cut a notch out of the front of the box to tilt it down some. Goes in all gears now ;)

Grinds a little in 2nd and 3rd, but im 75% sure its the transaxle. Needs rebuilt.

Ill post pics soon! gettin some paint work done.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png