Is it possible to convert my 17RG to a RG3?

Lu..

20+ Posts
Feb 26, 2017
New Jersey
Just looking at different scenarios/options.....I like Hannigan's Transformer kit, but the overall cost is starting to be way up there.....the conversion cost difference might be the same vs trading in or selling my RG for a RG3.....I've ridden some demos of independent suspension kits @ Laconia & Americade and performance/comfort of MoCo's solid axle set up doesn't even come close.....however.....I like my Velocity Red Sunglo and perhaps getting the necessary RG3 parts from Harley might save me a lot of coin.....

Wondering of doing the conversion myself (during winter)...and adding some enhancements (Ohlins, GTS head unit, etc..) is worth going this route....

Please feel free to comment, would be great if someone has done this type of conversion....

I was at the Indian dealer the other day they are triking a new Roadmaster with a Roadsmith kit He said it was going be be around $24000. I thought That was high. I would bet the Harley parts to convert yours to a RG3 would be crazy $ $ $ if the the frame is the same? better off trading for new one.

I was at the Indian dealer the other day they are triking a new Roadmaster with a Roadsmith kit He said it was going be be around $24000. I thought That was high. I would bet the Harley parts to convert yours to a RG3 would be crazy $ $ $ if the the frame is the same? better off trading for new one.

$24000: That’s the dozen price..How much for just one?..😉-😉

The RG3 is Freewheeler based which is Road King based. Ahh..the old Make/Buy decision making tree.Sell the current bike or trade in?Making a trike from a kit with a paid for donor bike will get you exactly what you want especially if you can do the work yourself, maybe also paint. Buying a new HD trike- your riding today . Need to factor suspension upgrades from DK Customs into the cost. I've built bikes from fame up. Lots of emotion involved and $$$$ and time. Nothing like just riding a new machine off the lot.

My Ultra conversion was $18K - and that included tons of extra like the running boards, reverse, 11 deg rake, rear bumper with lights.

Go To the CSC site & price out your kit with options. freight, tax, shipping on the kit now is over $1000.00 then add for labor. post what you add up to ?

The RG3 is Freewheeler based which is Road King based. Ahh..the old Make/Buy decision making tree.Sell the current bike or trade in?Making a trike from a kit with a paid for donor bike will get you exactly what you want especially if you can do the work yourself, maybe also paint. Buying a new HD trike- your riding today . Need to factor suspension upgrades from DK Customs into the cost. I've built bikes from fame up. Lots of emotion involved and $$$$ and time. Nothing like just riding a new machine off the lot.

Is the RG3 still based on the Road King/ Freewheeler platform? I though it was based on the actual Road Glide. Like a base model or Special, I believe, without all the luggage.

Just curious now.

Is the RG3 still based on the Road King/ Freewheeler platform? I though it was based on the actual Road Glide. Like a base model or Special, I believe, without all the luggage.

Just curious now.

The model designation FLTRT is based on the Freewheeler platform

The Freewheeler is a FLRT

I'm just going to toss this out and see what you all think. What if you go to an auction and buy a Freewheeler with front end damage and try to bring both parts together to make a 'Hybrid' version. The only problem I can think of would the trike conversion bolt up to the host bike frame? I'm usually full of odd ideas and then I found an auction site open to the public and some Freewheeler with front end damage at a number of auction location. https://www.iaai.com/Search?url=qkP1fmll52t7OIusvx69j+WVuvEDJyi1P5UX04I8TNw=

Does it sound do-able and it depends upon how cheaply you can get the damaged trike.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png