Mega Crank Battery from Battery Mart

Sunman

900+ Posts
Apr 6, 2011
Bellville, Texas, USA
I am on my 2nd Mega Crank battery in my 2015 Freewheeler. The first one lasted + or - 4 years. I have had the second one for about 8 months. I have seen them recommended on this forum and I am happy with them. How ever, I recommended the battery to a neighbor for his 2018 Street Glide and of course the battery failed after three months. We made sure it was fully charged and load tested it twice. It failed and the tester said to replace it both times. He has returned it to Battery Mart and is waiting for them to test it and make a determination if it is good or bad and if they will replace it under warranty.

Has anyone else on the forum had a problem with the Mega Crank battery or with Battery Mart?

Sunman

A bad/ jinky, regulator/rectifier can destroy a battery. If it were mine I would test the RR, it has positive diodes and negative diodes. I would use a logic probe (cheap at Harbor Friedght) testing of the alternator stator is also in order. Also I would check the magnets on the rotor, they tend to attract metal fillings which can short out the alternator. Or just keep throwing batteries at it.

I am on my 2nd Mega Crank battery in my 2015 Freewheeler. The first one lasted + or - 4 years. I have had the second one for about 8 months. I have seen them recommended on this forum and I am happy with them. How ever, I recommended the battery to a neighbor for his 2018 Street Glide and of course the battery failed after three months. We made sure it was fully charged and load tested it twice. It failed and the tester said to replace it both times. He has returned it to Battery Mart and is waiting for them to test it and make a determination if it is good or bad and if they will replace it under warranty.

Has anyone else on the forum had a problem with the Mega Crank battery or with Battery Mart?

Sunman

Ive used the Mega Crank From battery Mart a few times and never had a problem...

That said ; Just because i haven't had a problem doesn't mean that someone else isn't having a problem..You have to remember Batteries are Mysterious Black Boxes and can sometimes fail....??

A bad/ jinky, regulator/rectifier can destroy a battery. If it were mine I would test the RR, it has positive diodes and negative diodes. I would use a logic probe( cheap at Harbor Friedght) testing of the alternator stator is also in order. Also I would check the magnets on the rotor, they tend to attract metal fillings which can short out the alternator. Or just keep throwing batteries at it.

Thanks for the tips. If it were my bike I would check all those out myself but he is very particular about his bike and he knows nothing about working on it. So, if the replacement battery dies he can take it to his dealer. :D

Sunman

Having to send a battery back and wait for them to test and make a determination is the reason I will by my batteries from a local supplier. I purchased the battery for my Road King from Batteries plus. And it has worked great for 3 years so far, and it came with a two year warranty no pro rate, just replacement.

Having to send a battery back and wait for them to test and make a determination is the reason I will by my batteries from a local supplier. I purchased the battery for my Road King from Batteries plus. And it has worked great for 3 years so far, and it came with a two year warranty no pro rate, just replacement.

I buy all my batteries there, I like the 2 year warranty

I have also had very good luck with their batteries

Just a question HERE: Does he keep this battery on a "BATTERY MAINTAINER" NOT a trickle charger when not in use???

Ronnie

9/9/23

My routine is one month on a maintainer , one month off everything after the seasons end , then repeat till spring .

Quit buying the Chinese crap battery and buy the American made Big Crank battery. I try and buy American made when ever i can.

Not the first time i have heard this story about the Mega CRAP battery

Quit buying the Chinese crap battery and buy the American made Big Crank battery. I try and buy American made when ever i can.

Not the first time i have heard this story about the Mega CRAP battery

I don’t think they’re American made! They’re made in Pennsylvania so I’m not sure if that qualifies as American made….😉😉😁..

Just a question HERE: Does he keep this battery on a "BATTERY MAINTAINER" NOT a trickle charger when not in use???Ronnie 9/9/23

He keeps it on a Battery Maintainer. New battery received from Battery Mart (warranty Replacement) and we installed it. Will see how long this one lasts.

Sunman

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png