Type of Fuel Question

Sully

Trike Talk Executive Chef
Mar 23, 2014
Kennesaw, Ga.
What Brand of Fuel do you use most often ? What Grade of Fuel do you pump. Hi-Test or Reg. ( 93- 87 )

How long do you think it's still good sitting in your Tank ?

Thanks for you response ........

I run alcohol free 91 octane in everything I own

I have 1 year old gas in my generator, it starts on the first pull

If you are worried about old fuel in your trike, add some Stabil and or Seafoam

What Brand of Fuel do you use most often ? What Grade of Fuel do you pump. Hi-Test or Reg. ( 93- 87 )

How long do you think it's still good sitting in your Tank ?

Thanks for you response ........

I used to use only 93 then as I said in a previous post, I switched over to 89 and my mileage increased and my exhaust pipes had less soot on them….. With my ATVs and my side-by-side’s I only use 87 and sometimes one will sit for months before I ride a particular ATV. And I never had a problem.. With my generators I use 87 what I do because the gas might sit for 6 months I add stable and some sea foam to each 6 gallon tank ..and still never had a problem …And all my gas has ethanol in it… the only non ethanol /pure gas that I use is in the chainsaws and only because my son insist on it!..

Unfortunately no 91 alcohol free home . Up state ny Stewart’s have it . Only one Pa station in wallinpawpac had it , but discontinued. After you purge the hose of the 1/2 gallon , if using high test you are proabling getting mid grade on 5 gallon fill.

Unfortunately no 91 alcohol free home . Up state ny Stewart’s have it . Only one Pa station in wallinpawpac had it , but discontinued. After you purge the hose of the 1/2 gallon , if using high test you are proabling getting mid grade on 5 gallon fill.

One station in Honesdale Pa that I know of and one in Shohola Pa they have Pure gas aka ethanol free There might be more? And it comes from a dedicated pump no mixing.. But like I said, we only use it for the chainsaws..

One station in Honesdale Pa that I know and one station in Wallenpaupack Pa and one in Shohola Pa they have Pure gas aka ethanol free There might be more? And it comes from a dedicated pump no mixing.. But like I said, we only use it for the chainsaws..

Do Share….

Interesting thread - and I will be watching.

I have always used 93 in my Harleys. When travelling and could not find 93, I would put in the highest I could. That was always emptied easily because I was on the road.

I recall a trip towards the UP, found that ethanol free - a bit expensive but I put it in. WOW, worth every penny. My mpg increased just that much. I will have to do a little more research in my area to see if I can find some.

I am also curious to any discovery/comments from those with Harleys that us the 87 - 89.

Interesting thread - and I will be watching.

I have always used 93 in my Harleys. When travelling and could not find 93, I would put in the highest I could. That was always emptied easily because I was on the road.

I recall a trip towards the UP, found that ethanol free - a bit expensive but I put it in. WOW, worth every penny. My mpg increased just that much. I will have to do a little more research in my area to see if I can find some.

I am also curious to any discovery/comments from those with Harleys that us the 87 - 89.

See my post #3 in this thread..

See my post #3 in this thread..

Yep - saw your comments and appreciate them. Is most of your riding local or long distances? As I mentioned, I use the lower when traveling if I can't find 93. Never had any problems.

Still I burned that up on the road and went back to 93. Hopefully some others will chime in.

By the way, when I had my Eings, I always used regular.

Yep - saw your comments and appreciate them. Is most of your riding local or long distances? As I mentioned, I use the lower when traveling if I can't find 93. Never had any problems.

Still I burned that up on the road and went back to 93. Hopefully some others will chime in.

By the way, when I had my Eings, I always used regular.

A mix of Local and highway…Also at least where I can find ethanol free gas it is listed at 90 octane….

The one in Honesdale is just pass Baer Motorcycles same side of the road…. The one in Shohola Exxon station just before the Barryvile bridge into New York…… The one in Wallenpaupack maybe that’s the one you said they discontinued that was by the dam…?

Yup , I bileve a sonoco. Pump was in the rear of station .

On my Indian I have to run 93 anything else it pings, up in New Hampshire & Vermont they 91 non ethanol, I do get better MPG to much pinging. we were in Laconia needed gas it looked like a abandon Citgo station filled up there we got 4-5 more MPG everybody riding Indians, I been running that as much as possible. My wife got a new Tahoe the best milage I could get was around 19, with the CITGO I got 24 on secondary road 55 - 60.

On my Indian I have to run 93 anything else it pings, up in New Hampshire & Vermont they 91 non ethanol, I do get better MPG to much pinging. we were in Laconia needed gas it looked like a abandon Citgo station filled up there we got 4-5 more MPG everybody riding Indians, I been running that as much as possible. My wife got a new Tahoe the best milage I could get was around 19, with the CITGO I got 24 on secondary road 55 - 60.

I would have thought that the Indians would have knock sensors to retard the ignition to compensate for a little lower octane?..

We have a Shell station where we live that has 90 non-ethanol, dedicated pump. I've been using that since '15 on our trikes, never had a problem. There are several stations that have non-ethanol around this area, it's a big boating community, something to check on is any marinas near you always have non on hand.

Rhino, The coloration of your exhaust pipes and your gas mileage increase sound like they're results of riding longer and easier than simply switching between octane ratings.

Contrary to popular opinion, the only effect increasing (or decreasing) octane can provide is the likelihood of detonation. Octane does nothing to increase power, as many think.

Personally I usually run the highest octane in my bike only because it has much more injector cleaner in it.

If the computer can combine air , fuel and timing in the right combination, octane won’t matter . BTW , a bottle of injector cleaner might be cheaper in the long run than high test . Ya only need a little at each fill up .

Rhino, The coloration of your exhaust pipes and your gas mileage increase sound like they're results of riding longer and easier than simply switching between octane ratings.

Contrary to popular opinion, the only effect increasing (or decreasing) octane can provide is the likelihood of detonation. Octane does nothing to increase power, as many think.

Personally I usually run the highest octane in my bike only because it has much more injector cleaner in it.

I'm not an Expert..........But....What knock sensors do is if they detect preignition/detonation they will signal the ECM to retard the engine timing.....Lowing engine performance/power till the proper gas is used....

And just to add....The sensors will detect Preignition/detonation...Long before you will ever hear it or feel it..But i'm not an expert...

Remember Experts built the Titanic ..Amateur's built the Ark..:D.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png