Pingel electric shifter

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
My buddy has a Goldwing DCT and he loves it, he is wanting to get another Goldwing trike to keep in Ohio at their summer home. But he doesn't want to spend another 28,000 to 30,000 for another DCT wing. So, he is looking at a 2008 wing trike with a manual transmission. Has anyone have any experience with the Pingel electric shifter good or bad experience. Thanks.

Somehow, what I was writing was lost. But read the first line in there instructions.

Here we've only dealt with 2 Pingle shifters, both were trikes, and both came in for transmission repairs, and both were costly. There are a few trikes out there successfully using them, but be careful. Do not use their ingnition cut off system, and shift only by using the clutch.

Here if the owner goes back to using a Pingle shifter, it voids his transmission repair. I should also say, that one of them had just installed it, and shortly after, probably less then 1000 miles, his transmission had major damage. Instalation and proper adjustments is critical. Also, after doing many, many 5th gen transmission repairs, never had we seen one with such large chunks of gear metal in the engine.

If you do choose to install one, be sure to install longer allen bolts at the shift lever. Be able to inspect and tighten those is critiacal. There can be no loosenes there.

https://www.pingelonline.com/images/All Electric Up-Down Shifter Kit 77000 Instructions.pdf

From my experience, the older Pingle shifters tend to be problematic, but I recently did a Frankenstein trike conversion on a 2012 Harley Vrod Muscle and the owner had purchased a new Pingle shifter setup for that bike (specifically) and after making a few adjustments to the setup, it worked really well.

I guess I should have made my post a little more clear. I said early model Goldwing. Because he just had a new Goldwing converted at Hannigan. He had I thinking a 2006 or 2008. That he ran the Pingel electric shifter on. He is a double leg amputee so he used the electric shifter. The new trike is a DCT.

One problem that I see with a Pingle is that its up/down shaft movement is less then the movement required to shift a 5th gen Wing. In the aftermarket world, such stuff is common in the sense of an aftermarket manufacture. For example ... making 1 shift servo in hope that it works for everything.

The measurements I took basically says the the Pingle servo needs to move the shift lever 2 5/8" but only moved it 2 1/2".

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png