ECM problems

Jul 20, 2009
Paris, tx USA
I have a 2018 gold wing with a CSC conversion. I bought the trike used and it only has about 6500 miles on it. I rode it about 250 miles last weekend and the next Monday it wouldn’t crank. I carried it to the local Honda dealership and they put it on the computer because it left a code on it. They came back and said the code said it was the ECM on the transmission. Was wondering cost y’all have encountered on this fix? Thank you for your input!

I have a 2018 gold wing with a CSC conversion. I bought the trike used and it only has about 6500 miles on it. I rode it about 250 miles last weekend and the next Monday it wouldn’t crank. I carried it to the local Honda dealership and they put it on the computer because it left a code on it. They came back and said the code said it was the ECM on the transmission. Was wondering cost y’all have encountered on this fix? Thank you for your input!

A good starting point on price would be. What did the dealer tell you it would cost??.. And what else if anything was involved?

I agree but I was just wanting something to compare the dealer price with. He hasn’t got back with me on price yet. He said he was checking other things to be sure that was what it needed. I don’t know of any other issues. Thank you!

Dont let the Honda dealer do anything before you talk to Will at CSC!

Dont let the Honda dealer do anything before you talk to Will at CSC!

Because they're gonna roll out the parts cannon and start firing it at your bike until they find one that possibly fixes it.

And all the parts that didn't fix it will remain on your bike because all OEM dealers have a strict policy that electronic parts are non-returnable once they are installed on your bike, as they are considered used and could possibly be compromised. A new Honda Goldwing DCT ECM is major money! So is a complete new wiring harness. Ask me how I know this...:mad:

Last edited:
Because they're gonna roll out the parts cannon and start firing it at your bike until they find one that fixes it.

And all the parts that didn't fix it will remain on your bike because delears have a strict policy that electronic parts are non-returnable once they are installed on your bike. A new Honda Goldwing DCT ECM is major money! So is a complete new wiring harness. Ask me how I know this...:mad:

Yes agree 100%, this is why get a written estimate before agreeing to have the work done, have them explain exactly what all DTC are and tell them you want all of your old parts returned to you, trust but verify. Also ask about the warranty and get that in writing

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Papa Zook!!!

I talked to Will at CSC and he said it probably wasn’t the ECM. He said what to try and have the dealership call him. Will said it should be a simple fix. I called the dealership and gave them the number to call Will at CSC. I talked directly to the mechanic so hopefully they will call and he can tell them what to do! Thank you again Papa for going the extra mile to help me!! I have always found the members on here to be very helpful.

Update

Within 2 hours of the dealership talking to Will at CSC the trike was ready to go. The fix that will suggested also fixed another trike w/csc conversion. Total cost to me was $28.40. And no ECM needed. Thank you again to Papa Zook and Will @CSC. Y’all really came through for me and whoever the other guy was that owned the other trike at the same dealership!

Within 2 hours of the dealership talking to Will at CSC the trike was ready to go. The fix that will suggested also fixed another trike w/csc conversion. Total cost to me was $28.40. And no ECM needed. Thank you again to Papa Zook and Will @CSC. Y’all really came through for me and whoever the other guy was that owned the other trike at the same dealership!

And what was the fix/problem??

And what was the fix/problem??

+1 So it can be passed along in the future, when this happens.

Glad it all worked out. Curious - what was the fix?

The problem was…

The problem was the red box that CSC put under the seat. CSC recommended that I take it to a CSC dealer and let them look at it. I took it to maxim honda in Allen Texas. They talked with CSC and CSC warrantied the issue costing me $0. I can’t praise CSC enough because they didn’t have to warranty the box and labor. Thanks CSC!!!

I have also had trouble with the CSC "red box" and have discussed it with Will several times. Should you be on the road and have a failure of the red box you can pull the red box from the socket and reverse it and plug it back in. This takes the red box out of the circuit. I'm sure Papa Zook has a better way to explain it.

Bill

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png