Battery Life

ISP-FL

600+ Posts
Mar 16, 2017
Lake Suzy, FL USA
I got just over 3 years on my original battery. I replaced that first one with a $199 battery from Batteries Plus. It lasted 23 months. I picked up my new one yesterday from my local Harley dealer for $217.

I guess my question is what is everyone else's experiences? Do the Harley batteries hold up longer? The last couple of years I have been in my home State more (FL). The kid at the parts counter claimed that being in hotter weather wears motorcycle batteries out quicker, not sure I buy into that theory.

What say ye?

I got just over 3 years on my original battery. I replaced that first one with a $199 battery from Batteries Plus. It lasted 23 months. I picked up my new one yesterday from my local Harley dealer for $217.

I guess my question is what is everyone else's experiences? Do the Harley batteries hold up longer? The last couple of years I have been in my home State more (FL). The kid at the parts counter claimed that being in hotter weather wears motorcycle batteries out quicker, not sure I buy into that theory.

What say ye?

Yes…Heat shortens the life of a battery….I get my battery’s from Battery Mart they are made in PA at the same factory as the Harleys..!

What say ye?

my 2020 Tri still has original battery brought it home in March,2020

Heat, cold and vibration are battery killers

I use Batteries Plus batteries, they have a 2 year warranty compared to HD batteries and most others that have a 1 year warranty

What say ye?

One of my buddies has a 15 ultra limited and he is still running his original battery. He keeps it on a tender whenever he is not riding it. I bought my 19 Tri Glide in August of 18 and I am still running the original battery. The nights you're getting colder here in North Carolina so I put it on a battery tender with a timer. I charge it for an hour and a half a night and I've had no problems. I am keeping a close eye on it though.

I bought my 2018 trike in October of 2018 and still have the orginal battery, been on a tender all the time except when riding, I will think about a new one this spring when I dig it out of hiberation, this year I carried a battery starter just in case it didn't start someplace but it always started.

All for now Trampas

I don't believe Harley makes batteries. Likely they slap their name on them and then increase the price like they do on lots of stuff. But that's another story.....

Batteries can last from one day (I had one do that) to many years. Like previously said, heat, cold, vibration all affect battery life. All you can do is make sure you don't contribute to killing your battery. Keep it on a maintainer (not trickle charger) when not in use on a regular basis. Keep terminals clean and tight. And replace it when it starts to show signs of failure. Good luck..... Jim

I don't believe Harley makes batteries. Likely they slap their name on them and then increase the price like they do on lots of stuff. But that's another story.....

Batteries can last from one day (I had one do that) to many years. Like previously said, heat, cold, vibration all affect battery life. All you can do is make sure you don't contribute to killing your battery. Keep it on a maintainer (not trickle charger) when not in use on a regular basis. Keep terminals clean and tight. And replace it when it starts to show signs of failure. Good luck..... Jim

Harley batteries are made by East Penn, along with Batteries Plus and Deka batteries

Harley batteries are made by East Penn, along with Batteries Plus and Deka batteries

They been (East Penn) making batteries in Berks County Pa since 1946…And just stamp on the Harley name… they also have another manufacture plant in Iowa…The last time I needed a battery for my Triglide I ordered it from Battery Mart Via Amazon it came in a day and half….👍

The kid at the parts counter claimed that being in hotter weather wears motorcycle batteries out quicker, not sure I buy into that theory.

What say ye?

I have a Harley and a car in both Wisconsin and Florida. I agree with the kid that Florida is harder on batteries than up north.

It is unusual if I go two days without riding so I never have regularly put my Harley battery tender on either of my trikes. However, the last couple of weeks we have been moving so the bike sat unattended. I still may start hooking it up if I know I won't be on it for a couple of day or longer.

It is unusual if I go two days without riding so I never have regularly put my Harley battery tender on either of my trikes. However, the last couple of weeks we have been moving so the bike sat unattended. I still may start hooking it up if I know I won't be on it for a couple of day or longer.

I never liked the idea of keeping my battery on a tender 24/7 when I'm not riding it. I've heard too many war stories of the tender malfunctioning and overcharging the battery. I ride enough during the summer where I don't need it and now that the nights are cooling off I have it on a timer for an hour and a half to 2 hours a night.

2018 original battery

Still running the original battery on my 2018. Last winter we hit negative 25 here. My truck battery dropped dead without warning... my trigilide battery slept in the garage all winter on a tender with no problem. I will replace it this upcoming spring. It'a a lot like playing russian roulette.

Can I replace my original battery with a AGM battery? No other mods needed?

Still running the original battery on my 2018. Last winter we hit negative 25 here. My truck battery dropped dead without warning... my trigilide battery slept in the garage all winter on a tender with no problem. I will replace it this upcoming spring. It'a a lot like playing russian roulette.

Can I replace my original battery with a AGM battery? No other mods needed?

Yes you can with out any mods….I’m surprised that’s not what you have in the Trike already??

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png