How to Ride The Curves Aggressively on an HD Trike

How to ride the corners aggressively - DK video

Having owned two tri glides and having done some of the improvements suggested on the forums, read hundreds of forums, and seen a lot of videos, this is truly one of the most meaningful posts I have seen. Kudos to DK for the informative video, analysis and information. I plan to incorporate this into my riding technique for both safety and enjoyment.

Dave

AND, even if one does not want to ride the curves aggressively, good info if one finds themselves entering a curve a little faster than they intended.

Kevin

I always lean into the curves as though I was on 2 wheels. With IRS it cuts down on body roll which would make the bike want to sway in the opposite direction. I also cut down on the angle of the curve like they showed in the video. I’ll definitely have to try the rear brake thing when it’s warm enough to ride again. Not sure if I agree with turning the front tire in the opposite direction. I’d be afraid it might steer me into the other lane and into on coming traffic. Good video.

Having owned two tri glides and having done some of the improvements suggested on the forums, read hundreds of forums, and seen a lot of videos, this is truly one of the most meaningful posts I have seen. Kudos to DK for the informative video, analysis and information. I plan to incorporate this into my riding technique for both safety and enjoyment.

Dave

Dave, thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated. Glad you found the info in the video useful. :clapping:

Kevin

I always lean into the curves as though I was on 2 wheels. With IRS it cuts down on body roll which would make the bike want to sway in the opposite direction. I also cut down on the angle of the curve like they showed in the video. I’ll definitely have to try the rear brake thing when it’s warm enough to ride again. Not sure if I agree with turning the front tire in the opposite direction. I’d be afraid it might steer me into the other lane and into on coming traffic. Good video.

Lots of interesting info about body roll and IRS vs. Straight axles out there.

Leaning will help with either, as will trail braking.

For sure turning the front tire the opposite direction is not the ideal for getting a tire down...it will almost assuredly put you into the oncoming lane of traffic. BUT, it will get the tire down....just probably not the best option.

I don't know if you saw this frame by frame analysis, if not, here it is-

Kevin

Greatly appreciated.

Just started triking last year after totaling my RK on a weirdly cambered curve, ending my 60 years of two wheeling. Until seeing this, I was not aware of the tire lifting threat, and had never heard of trail braking. Rode all the way around Lake Superior last summer with basically no trike experience. Had no serious problems or close calls but was uncomfortable during some curves for a variety of reasons. When spring comes, I will be mastering this technique - in empty parking lots - prior to our planned Lake Huron Circle Tour this summer. Thanks, again.

Just started triking last year after totaling my RK on a weirdly cambered curve, ending my 60 years of two wheeling. Until seeing this, I was not aware of the tire lifting threat, and had never heard of trail braking. Rode all the way around Lake Superior last summer with basically no trike experience. Had no serious problems or close calls but was uncomfortable during some curves for a variety of reasons. When spring comes, I will be mastering this technique - in empty parking lots - prior to our planned Lake Huron Circle Tour this summer. Thanks, again.

Good deal.

Wishing your many miles of smiles on your ride!

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png