Check Your Tires

Noodles107

250+ Posts
Dec 8, 2022
Myrtle Beach SC USA
So every time we take out the FW I do a pre trip inspection. Every time ... This is a good habit to get into as you are getting ready to roll down public roads 60 - 70MPH. I have a pattern that I follow and it has become second nature before every outing.

End of last week I took the Trike down to Harley to have my new DK Custom Nexgen Shocks & Comfort Lift Kit Installed. 7:30am and the temperature was 36*. I got up early, put on as many clothes as possible, did my "Pre-Trip" and headed out. Install went well and my ride home was freezing. The Trike felt pretty stiff which I attributed to riding solo (always ride 2 up) freezing cold and "something new" going on. Didn't get a real chance to check everything out as my main goal was to get back into the garage.

It has been very cold the last few days but yesterday the temp climbed to the low 50's and it was just pristine out. We got out all the winter stuff preparing for a crispy jaunt and I of course went through my pre-trip ... HOLY MACKEREL ... (1st time out since bringing her home from Harley) ... Both rear tires had 45 (Forty Five) lbs of air pressure and the front had 60 (Sixty) lbs !!! ... I was less than thrilled, to say the least. At first I thought what I was seeing (on my good quality analog gauge) was surely a mistake. sadly it was not ...

Although the pre trip is something we all should be doing (imho) always ... I just learned how extra important it is when having your ride in the shop. I was really pissed (and disappointed) just thinking about how dangerous 60lbs of front tire pressure could have been buzzing down the Hwy. Just sayin :( :( :(

On a better note ... (after restoring) ... the Trike ran excellent. The new DK 606 Air Intake and Transformer EBS System performed beautifully and the Nexgens were a really great improvement to both ride quality and comfort. A very happy ending to a less than happy start.

IMG_2783 4.jpg IMG_9222 5.jpg IMG_9225.jpg IMG_9099.JPG

It blows my mind how many guys in shops do not know how to check and correct PSI in tires

I have picked Sunday as my day of the week to check my PSI on my trike and Mrs Jacks Subaru

I would be pissed if a dealer let my vehicles out with the PSI you experienced

Enjoy your new parts and be sure to give a follow up:clapping:

So every time we take out the FW I do a pre trip inspection. Every time ... This is a good habit to get into as you are getting ready to roll down public roads 60 - 70MPH. I have a pattern that I follow and it has become second nature before every outing.

End of last week I took the Trike down to Harley to have my new DK Custom Nexgen Shocks & Comfort Lift Kit Installed. 7:30am and the temperature was 36*. I got up early, put on as many clothes as possible, did my "Pre-Trip" and headed out. Install went well and my ride home was freezing. The Trike felt pretty stiff which I attributed to riding solo (always ride 2 up) freezing cold and "something new" going on. Didn't get a real chance to check everything out as my main goal was to get back into the garage.

It has been very cold the last few days but yesterday the temp climbed to the low 50's and it was just pristine out. We got out all the winter stuff preparing for a crispy jaunt and I of course went through my pre-trip ... HOLY MACKEREL ... (1st time out since bringing her home from Harley) ... Both rear tires had 45 (Forty Five) lbs of air pressure and the front had 60 (Sixty) lbs !!! ... I was less than thrilled, to say the least. At first I thought what I was seeing (on my good quality analog gauge) was surely a mistake. sadly it was not ...

Although the pre trip is something we all should be doing (imho) always ... I just learned how extra important it is when having your ride in the shop. I was really pissed (and disappointed) just thinking about how dangerous 60lbs of front tire pressure could have been buzzing down the Hwy. Just sayin :( :( :(

On a better note ... (after restoring) ... the Trike ran excellent. The new DK 606 Air Intake and Transformer EBS System performed beautifully and the Nexgens were a really great improvement to both ride quality and comfort. A very happy ending to a less than happy start.

View attachment 116514 View attachment 116515 View attachment 116516 View attachment 116517

Those tire Pressures are obscenely high…. I honestly think that the dealer should check his air pressure gauge and probably should be notified about that..

Those tire Pressures are obscenely high…. I honestly think that the dealer should check his air pressure gauge and probably should be notified about that..

I did call them immediately after checking my pressures and talked to the Service Advisor about this. He actually said to me that there must be a problem with their pressure gauge and he would bring this to their attention ... That don't really get it for me

I actually asked them at the time the install began if I could please see the completed install before they put the wheels back on. I have 45 accessories installed on the Trike and the shocks / lift was the 1st addition that I was unable to do myself. I was filled with anxiety about this install so I went with Harley (and coughed it up) for who I felt would do the best job. I actually made my appointment enough in advance so that the "Master Service Technician" would be doing the install. I spoke with him before he started and shared some specific info about the shocks and lift kit just incase ... I would have never thought to check the tire pressure as I had done this before leaving the house.

A "discussion" with the Service Manager (and I'm a really good discusser) I feel that I have no choice in doing so. Most people struggle when having a "discussion" with me. I'm wrestling with my thoughts for a minute, although the danger of allowing me to drive away with those pressures is a bit overwhelming and really leaves me no choice but a healthy face to face with him about this.

That tire pressure is totally UNSAT. Should have gotten a refund on the install fee or at the least a $100.00 gift card. I will always check my tires upon returning from the Stealer-ship. Likewise, tires are a pet peeve and I check them regularly. Glad nothing happened and you made it home safe.

Whenever I have to take our trike into our dealer, the service writer comes out with his checklist on a clipboard. We go over turn signals, brake lights, etc. There is a section on his list about tire wear and such. I have him write down my pressures, 36 front, 22 rear and write in bold letters, "DO NOT CHANGE". I have not had a problem for the last couple of years with them.

Whenever I have to take our trike into our dealer, the service writer comes out with his checklist on a clipboard. We go over turn signals, brake lights, etc. There is a section on his list about tire wear and such. I have him write down my pressures, 36 front, 22 rear and write in bold letters, "DO NOT CHANGE". I have not had a problem for the last couple of years with them.

I never thought about that although the manual clearly calls for 26 rear 36 front and any Harley Service Dept should know that by heart. My guess is that when the tech finished the install he had someone else check the tires. Whoever this was read the “max” psi on the sidewall and cranked the pressure up to 45 rear 60 front. Just guessing … I’m a bit torn about confronting the Service Manager. Although I feel like I have to, what will come from that?

I never thought about that although the manual clearly calls for 26 rear 36 front and any Harley Service Dept should know that by heart. My guess is that when the tech finished the install he had someone else check the tires. Whoever this was read the “max” psi on the sidewall and cranked the pressure up to 45 rear 60 front. Just guessing … I’m a bit torn about confronting the Service Manager. Although I feel like I have to, what will come from that?

I had a hard rule, if my guys did this more than once, they got the axe

There is no excuse for not doing your job right IMO

I did call them immediately after checking my pressures and talked to the Service Advisor about this. He actually said to me that there must be a problem with their pressure gauge and he would bring this to their attention ... That don't really get it for me

I actually asked them at the time the install began if I could please see the completed install before they put the wheels back on. I have 45 accessories installed on the Trike and the shocks / lift was the 1st addition that I was unable to do myself. I was filled with anxiety about this install so I went with Harley (and coughed it up) for who I felt would do the best job. I actually made my appointment enough in advance so that the "Master Service Technician" would be doing the install. I spoke with him before he started and shared some specific info about the shocks and lift kit just incase ... I would have never thought to check the tire pressure as I had done this before leaving the house.

A "discussion" with the Service Manager (and I'm a really good discusser) I feel that I have no choice in doing so. Most people struggle when having a "discussion" with me. I'm wrestling with my thoughts for a minute, although the danger of allowing me to drive away with those pressures is a bit overwhelming and really leaves me no choice but a healthy face to face with him about this.

I wouldn't trust your dealer to install a dipstick.

It is your bike and your right to designate what tire pressures you want. If the SM is upset by that then you should take your bike somewhere else.

Like previously posted whenever my bike goes in for servicing to the dealer I specify what tire pressures I have and not to change it.

No one needs to be upset over that.

I had a hard rule, if my guys did this more than once, they got the axe

There is no excuse for not doing your job right IMO

I completely agree with that Jack ...

I ran a major Concrete & Block operation that I was with for 47 years. I had close to 200 trucks in my fleet and the DOT requires that every truck, every day, has a pre-trip inspection done and turned in in writing. 10 tires on the Concrete & Block trucks, 18 on the Cement & Fuel Tankers. Divers hate checking all those tires and many times I would see reports with perfect pressure in all the tires. Those guys would usually end up in my office. Once ...

Glad you discovered your tire pressure situation and damn, your trike always looks so show room ready in your pictures. Makes me jealous. Anyway, just wondering what happens if that type of crankcase breather filter under your air cleaner gets saturated with oil. What keeps it from blowing oil all over that beautifully clean engine?

Ya know JT ... I'm not really sure about that. They say clean the filter every 5000 miles. That's a year of riding for me. Also my leg kinda blocks the filter while riding and if I see any oil at all, anywhere at all, the filter will be addressed. Really cool looking though isn't it? The front fender spear used to be my favorite accessory ... the mini filter has taken it's place as fave. Thanks for the compliment on the bike. I am super anal about it always being spotless. My cars and my house have to be the same way. My therapist calls it "perfectionism syndrome" ... I'm ok with it most of the time :)

You're just like me, I want my Goldwing (roadsmith) TRIKE in perfect condition,{it will never see the road without being at least wash'd every ride}

I sit in my garage every time it rains, I give it a 100% wax job :AllGood: with headphones on and Led Jepplin blasting away in my ears..

I do check tire pressures, once a week, and do look at tires for any nails, that I may have picked up during my last ride.. Every day!

Oil & filter is changed, every 3,000 miles (or three times a season) and ALWAYS change'd (no matter how many miles on it) when I put her away into hibernation mode in late October..- April 1st.

Yep! I'm a OCD freak with my :GL1800: Roadsmith TRIKE

Ronnie

2/2/24

I get you Jeff. Stuff happens. It’s getting hard to work on some of these electrical and electronics. My 21 has some wire and pipe nests on there like a modern car. I can still do most mechanical repairs. I do have my limits.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png