What trailer do you use to haul your trike?

brianl

300+ Posts
May 16, 2013
leominster, ma. USA
I have a 2017 Goldwing with a Roadsmith trike kit. When I take it on a trailer I use a BigTex 10’ landscape trailer. Because the Roadsmith is so long I can’t use the ramp that comes with the trailer because it will bottom out as it goes onto the trailer. I have to remove the ramp/tailgate and use three 9’ folding ramps. Also, by the time I mount my wheel chock on the front the trike is too long and I wouldn’t be able to close the tailgate even if I was able to use it. I would need a 12’ trailer. Has anyone run into this problem? What trailer and ramp do you use? Has anyone tried the Aluma tk1? How about any of the fold up style ramps?

I have a 2017 Goldwing with a Roadsmith trike kit. When I take it on a trailer I use a BigTex 10’ landscape trailer. Because the Roadsmith is so long I can’t use the ramp that comes with the trailer because it will bottom out as it goes onto the trailer. I have to remove the ramp/tailgate and use three 9’ folding ramps. Also, by the time I mount my wheel chock on the front the trike is too long and I wouldn’t be able to close the tailgate even if I was able to use it. I would need a 12’ trailer. Has anyone run into this problem? What trailer and ramp do you use? Has anyone tried the Aluma tk1? How about any of the fold up style ramps?

I have not used one but did talk to someone that has the Aluma TKI for her CSC trike. The CSC is 113 inches long and I think the Roadsmith is 115.

I got rid of my 2-wheel trailer and have been considering a TK1. My plan, when ready is to visit a dealer and ride my trike on to see how it looks.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.

Brian I use an enclosed trailer, but I have not used the wheel chock since I went to three wheels just run it up to the front and strap it to the trailer rail and have you tried raising the tongue of the trailer to lower the approach angle on the ramp just for stability don't disconnect from your vehicle use your trailer jack to raise it up some.

I have a 2017 Goldwing with a Roadsmith trike kit. When I take it on a trailer I use a BigTex 10’ landscape trailer. Because the Roadsmith is so long I can’t use the ramp that comes with the trailer because it will bottom out as it goes onto the trailer. I have to remove the ramp/tailgate and use three 9’ folding ramps. Also, by the time I mount my wheel chock on the front the trike is too long and I wouldn’t be able to close the tailgate even if I was able to use it. I would need a 12’ trailer. Has anyone run into this problem? What trailer and ramp do you use? Has anyone tried the Aluma tk1? How about any of the fold up style ramp?

Brian, if you get a 12 ft landscape type trailer with a folding gate, I'd recommend getting one with the tall gate and I would get one that is at least 6 1/2 feet wide. A 6 ft wide trailer will work, but it will have less clearance than you really want. I was an Aluma Trailers dealer and the TK1 trailer will work and are good trailers. Their single wide ramp is stored underneath the deck and slide into place.

I had the Aluma TK1 trailer as Zook described. Used it to haul a Gold Wing Monarch II trike or the Gold Wing MotorTrike, trike.

It was an excellent trailer.

Nice storage box up front with rock guards flanking the storage box on each side.

Never had to mess with hiking up the hitch end to accomodate loading/unloading.

Pulled beautifully and so light weight - very easy to push/pull around by hand - we did use a hitch dolly to maneuver it around by hand, but was not necessary - merely a convenience.

Sold it and both trikes.

We have a 7 x 12 enclosed vnose that we haul with, I believe 'oldschool' has a TK1 that he likes a lot.

attachment.php

I use a 6.5 x14.I had it before the trike and I easily have 2ft extra.It has 4 ft gate and I screwed a 2 x6 about 2 ft long at the back just in front of the gate and raise the tongue with the jack for insurance.Mine is a CSC trike and she sets low.I agree with Papa 6 ft would be a little close for comfort especially without a second set of eyes while loading/unloading.I think alot of 12 ft are 6 so be careful if going that way.

I use a a 7 x 14 Haulmark V nose to haul my Can Am Spyder. The Spyder is 5.5 ft wide and 10 ft long. I could get by with a 6 x 12 but now I have a little extra room. It is a V nose. I use the tailgate as my ramp. As to using your ramp have you tried putting your portable ramps over your existing tailgate ramp? Also could you raise the nose of the trailer with the screw jack up front to get the tail low enough so you will clear.? As to your chock can you run the front wheel against the front rail and use that for your chock? On the tailgate itself raise it up as high as you can and chain it there. I you have to tie some padding between it and the trike rear.

I have a 8 x 24 v nose no problem drive right in 4 straps & it's good to go, Hooked up to my Ram 2500 Cummins you don't know its there.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png