Mid Frame Air Deflectors

Noodles107

250+ Posts
Dec 8, 2022
Myrtle Beach SC USA
I saw a set of these on a Trike today and I thought they looked great. Looking around, I found 2 styles available from Harley. 1 set comes in flat matte black (which would require color match paint) and the other is "smoked" see through lexan. As I continued to research, I came upon this set from Hogworkz which comes already factory matched to the color of your Trike. I was surprised to see how many factory colors they were offering.

Does anyone have the mid frame deflectors? Any experience with them, install tips? Your input is always greatly appreciated ... thanks

Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 2.58.33 PM.jpeg Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 2.57.04 PM.jpeg Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 3.02.21 PM.jpg

If you’re going for looks alone, those Hogworkz units are a great choice. I agree with Jack completely though, the PAIR of them just traps hot air, raising engine temps, nowhere to go. To protect the passengers leg, the RIGHT one alone works well. I have heat shield liners so that wasn’t an issue. I was more interested in air flow to the rear cylinder so I installed only the LEFT side and feel I’m scooping more air in because that side of the engine is more open (no throttle body and air cleaner restriction). Not very scientific, just my experience, for what it’s worth.

Mid frame sir deflectors

I’ve got them in color matched from Paul at the fairing exchange.com when I got mine no one else could match Snake Venom . I’m glad they are there . I’ve got DK cooling wings and tank lift so I don’t see/ feel any negative effect on having them both on my 21 TrGlide

D K Customs has a video on those

I had them on my 17, I took the LS off so the trapped air could blow thru

I have some custom ones I had made, I do not use them on my 21

here,

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/review/product/list/id/995/?p=10

I think that the additional "body parts", color matched, adds an extra cool look to the Trike. I do understand and agree with the concept of not trapping hot air behind the rear cylinder. Although putting on one side only is really not for me. I think that a combination of events for me personally will help to work well with this setup. First here in SC we do have 4 very distinct seasons. Most of the time the weather is very mild ... say between 35* and 75* The summer can get really hot, 90*+ but it's a short summer and coming from Ft Lauderdale, the hot is our least favorite time out with the Trike.

Another thing is that we are not doing any "touring" with the Trike. We take it out a couple of times a week, beach, lunch, dinner, shopping around town and our average jaunt is usually 50 or 60 miles round trip. A 100 mile or so rally a few times a year during the 3 Bike Weeks that we have here. I do have an oil cooler with electric fan behind it, I also have the DK Transformer EBS, DK Outlaw 606 Air Intake and V&H Slip Ons all working really well to help the Trike not only run cooler but it runs like an animal ... instant no hesitation throttle response and effortless improvement to performance. The FW is also pretty stripped down to begin with. No fairings, lowers, fangs, or anything to really block whatever cooling air is available.

Will keep ya posted

Thanks

Jeff, I have a pair I will gift to you, you pay the postage

They are RJS Originals, black with chrome jewels, My 15 FLRT was the test mule for this line, see the picture here

s-l1600.webp

Jeff, I have a pair I will gift to you, you pay the postage

They are RJS Originals, black with chrome jewels, My 15 FLRT was the test mule for this line, see the picture here

s-l1600.webp

Thank you Jack ... you are always a dude! I was fishing for a "Jack" input like ... "with your 400 / 500 miles a month kinda riding Jeff, you should really be ok with the deflectors" :) :) ... Thanks so much for the generous offer and I'll let you know which way I end up going. So far I am leaning towards the HogWorkz set. I really do like the whole color matched thing.

My choice

You could also look at Crotch cooler from Captain Itch.

On my 2019 FLRT, I installed the Capt. Itch Crotch Cooler that I had previously used on the 2015 SGS. I do believe it offers great protection from the engine heat from the M8 114 as it did on the TC 103. I also installed Design Engineering Inc. DEI 901045 which insulates the header pipes from roasting the rider and passenger. The Crotch Cooler flairs from the body and is even more evident at highway speed which, without scientific evidence to back up my opinion, minimizes further trapping of heat around the rear cyclinder. Plus I simply like the look of the embossed Crocodile/Alligator leather. Capt. Itch makes quality products. Two layers of thick leather bonded (glued and sewn together) the layer touching the bike/trike is suede thereby eliminating any damage to the paint or components.

Attachments

• 20230506_153143.jpg
    20230506_153143.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20230506_153157.jpg
    20230506_153157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
I saw a set of these on a Trike today and I thought they looked great. Looking around, I found 2 styles available from Harley. 1 set comes in flat matte black (which would require color match paint) and the other is "smoked" see through lexan. As I continued to research, I came upon this set from Hogworkz which comes already factory matched to the color of your Trike. I was surprised to see how many factory colors they were offering.

Does anyone have the mid frame deflectors? Any experience with them, install tips? Your input is always greatly appreciated ... thanks

View attachment 116614 View attachment 116615 View attachment 116616

I have the smoked ones on my RG3. I just installed them a few weeks ago and so far, so good. They make the smoked deflectors that came on the bike mounted to the side of the fairing. I like them and they feel like they definitely took the edge off on the heat.

Monique

I have two types of heat deflectors that I run. I had the stock set painted to match the tank and side covers, and I had a set of leather ones made. Right now I'm running the leather ones.

Attachments

• 20240220_101008.jpg
    20240220_101008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 8

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png