new cargo program for myself

Jul 16, 2010
Axson, Georgia
I think I have found a less costly way to get a nice little cargo pulling system rigged up to use myself.

New program.

Buying this with 20% off coupon for $160.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-cap...ires-90153.html

Mounting this on the back half of the trailer. $80 with 20% off coupon.

Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 Lb. Capacity

Mounting this on the front half of the trailer. $180 regular price at Tractor supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-mai...-silver-1091436

Total cost 160+80+180= $420 with 12" tires, not the little dinky 8" ones.

I am also considering cutting the trailer size down to 36" wide x 42" long since the alum. toolbox is 36" wide. Sould be very easy to do as I have a welder and a metal bandsaw and the trailer comes in a box.

Last edited:
I have seen several trikes with this sort of carrier. I have a smaller similar homemade one that I use to puy my cooler. I always wondered how much weight you could put on this before it started lifting the front end. It could really effect front-end steering.

The trailer alone weighs #90
The toolbox weighs #30
THe cargo rack without the steel tube and cutdown will weigh #10
A spare tire will weigh #20

Total trailer will weigh #150
100 pounds of cloths, cooler/ice/drinks

250 pounds total to pull down the road with a cargo adjusted tounge weight of about 25/30 pounds.

Got a lot of the trailer finished today.

Had to cut the frame down length and width.
Had to cut the axle down
Had to grind off about 1/4 of the rivits in the cargo rack and cut it down and put it back together.

Now I just have to choose if I want the cargo rack in the front or back.
I really want it in the front but since it is smaller than the box and I want to position the middle cross member where the 2 meet putting the rack in the front shortens the tounge by 4".

I will hook it up to the trike tomorrow and see if I need the extra 4" to make turning easier.

It is going to weigh in at #130 with a spare tire and I have $450 in it.

b-frontjpg.jpg

a-backjpg.jpg

Just finished the new smaller ptoto-type.
THis one is not as wide, just a tad longer, lighter, and the dry storage and rack are both slightly smaller. Cost is the same. $425 with the cooler. MY guess on the weight is #150.

This one should pull very well behind anything since it is not as wide.

left-2.jpg

rightrear.jpg

leftfront-2.jpg

rear-1.jpg

front.jpg

just finished the new smaller ptoto-type.
This one is not as wide, just a tad longer, lighter, and the dry storage and rack are both slightly smaller. Cost is the same. $425 with the cooler. My guess on the weight is #150.

This one should pull very well behind anything since it is not as wide.

left-2.jpg

rightrear.jpg

leftfront-2.jpg

rear-1.jpg

front.jpg

i really like this
what do you do about the tags? Is there a title on this trailer?
Don from florida

i think i have found a less costly way to get a nice little cargo pulling system rigged up to use myself.

New program.

Buying this with 20% off coupon for $160.00

40-1/2" x 48" Small Utility Trailer - 1090 Lb. Capacity

mounting this on the back half of the trailer. $80 with 20% off coupon.

aluminum hitch cargo carrier - 500 lb. Capacity

mounting this on the front half of the trailer. $180 regular price at tractor supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-mai...-silver-1091436

total cost 160+80+180= $420 with 12" tires, not the little dinky 8" ones.

I am also considering cutting the trailer size down to 36" wide x 42" long since the alum. Toolbox is 36" wide. Sould be very easy to do as i have a welder and a metal bandsaw and the trailer comes in a box.

hey southern man got a question

i just purchased a trailer from harbor freight & it says 45 max speed. Is this all the faster you can go with this trailer???

This is cool. I had been brainstorming about the same thing. The starplate tool boxes look real nice, but the plastic ones would reduce the weight.

GOOD JOB
:wave4:ThumbUp:D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png