Refresher Post For Battery/ Charging Systems

Jack Klarich

18000+ Posts
Oct 11, 2016
Jax, Fla USA
  • Battery Drain: Initially, the motorcycle might run fine on the battery's stored energy. However, the battery's capacity is limited, and it will eventually discharge. Depending on the motorcycle's electrical load, this might happen relatively quickly.
  • Diminished Electrical Performance: As the battery discharges, you'll experience a gradual reduction in the performance of electrical components, including lights, indicators, and ignition. The battery's voltage will drop, leading to dim lights and weak spark, affecting engine performance.
  • Coil Heating: The ignition coils might heat up due to inadequate voltage supply. When the voltage drops, the coils may struggle to create a strong spark, leading to incomplete combustion in the engine. Incomplete combustion can cause the engine to misfire, leading to excessive heat in the exhaust system and potential damage to the exhaust components.

• Stalling and Reduced Performance: If the battery discharges completely, the motorcycle's engine might stall, leaving you stranded. Additionally, the motorcycle's overall performance will be severely compromised.
  • Battery Damage: Continuously discharging a lead-acid battery to very low levels can damage the battery and shorten its lifespan. Lead-acid batteries are designed to be periodically recharged, and deep discharges can cause sulfation and other forms of damage.
  • Electrical Component Damage: The lack of regulation can cause voltage spikes that may damage sensitive electronic components in the motorcycle's electrical system, such as the ECU (Engine Control Unit), sensors, and more.

In conclusion, removing the R/R and relying solely on the battery is not a sustainable or advisable solution. The motorcycle's charging system should be kept intact and in proper working condition to ensure the health of the electrical components, battery, and overall performance of the motorcycle. If you suspect issues with your motorcycle's charging system, it's recommended to consult a professional mechanic to diagnose and address the problem appropriately.

I keep my battery on a charger 24/7....Is that a good or bad thing to do ???

Just besure it's a battery maintainer, that stops charging once the battery become fully charged..... NOT A BATTERY CHARGER THAT KEEPS CHARGING.... You do not want to over charge your battery.

My battery is now on a Maintainer, as we speak...(A battery maintainer STOPS charging once it's fully charged)

Question: Does your charger have a gauge, that tells you, at what percentage your battery voltage is at???

Ronnie

2/7/24

I keep my battery on a charger 24/7....Is that a good or bad thing to do ???

Battery Charger or is it a Maintainer ??....A charger is not good for long term use....A maintainer will fully charge the battery and then turn off.....And once the battery losses some charge it will automatically turn on again ..

A regular charger will /can shorten the life of a battery...

Testing Specific Gravity Of A Non Sealed Type

How many here are old school like me and still use one of these?

80530__07186.1595019315.jpg

Just a side note...... Something I learned several years ago. Leaving a battery on a maintainer ALL the time can result in a problem. It did for me. One summer I packed my bike, unplugged the maintainer and left for an extended trip. Bike started and ran great. Next morning I had zero battery and was several hundred miles from home! My battery was dead as a door nail. Leaving the battery on the maintainer "masked" a worn-out battery..... for one day! From then on, I always unplugged the maintainer a day or two before going on a trip. Just to make sure the battery is, in fact, in good shape..... Jim

Just a side note...... Something I learned several years ago. Leaving a battery on a maintainer ALL the time can result in a problem. It did for me. One summer I packed my bike, unplugged the maintainer and left for an extended trip. Bike started and ran great. Next morning I had zero battery and was several hundred miles from home! My battery was dead as a door nail. Leaving the battery on the maintainer "masked" a worn-out battery..... for one day! From then on, I always unplugged the maintainer a day or two before going on a trip. Just to make sure the battery is, in fact, in good shape..... Jim

Jim,

This is actually a good reminder, cause the exact same thing happened to me, last season, while I was 100+ miles from home, attending a TRIKE rally in Vermont... (THANK YOU DOUG, if your reading this, for the use of your truck, to purchase another new battery)

Ronnie

2/8/24

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png