Trailer for the trike and electrical question/concern

Jan 31, 2022
Tucson, Az , USA
We bought an enclosed 7 X 12 cargo trailer to haul the Tri-Glide on longer trips.

The trailer has a 7 pin plug due to having electric brakes, tow vehicle has both 7 pin and 4 pin.

I want to take 12V into the trailer to keep battery charged.

I have 2 options. Pick up 12V off of the 4 pin to maintain the battery or tap into the 12V supply for the trailer lights etc.

I don't see an issue with either option but want to make sure I am not missing something.

Thanks

Trike.jpg

Sounds like you have a very nice trailer - enjoy your trips.

I am certain that someone with more knowledge than me will come along and provide some great info. Personally, if I could avoid it, I would not tap the trailer lights. If you can make it work by adding a plug (no cutting) to the 4 pin, I would go that way.

Curious, once you get the 12 volts into the trailer, how are you going to connect that to the bike? If a direct connection, are you worried that the power from the car might create too much for the bike?

Can you get 110 power to the trailer from your plug - then use a 12-volt battery tender - would you have more protection. There is a guy here that ran 110 to his trailer - has two plugs inside. He uses the trailer for some additional things - even has it set up for sleeping.

Also curious as to why you think you might need to keep the bike battery charged. When towing, you should save the battery by using the transport mode. Also, perhaps consider a jump start kit if you think there might be an issue.

If looking for that occasional charge, does your tow vehicle have a 110 plug (mine does).

Good luck.

What brand trailer did you buy

I am looking to buy a 7 X 12 covered trailer for my trike. What brand and model did you get. Thanks

Trailer

Thanks for the replies all.

I did think of the transport mode last night and have to investigate that.

Good point about the 4 pin connection, it would be only lights.

The trailer is a Carry On 7 X 12 Dual axle.

In transport mode, is there zero drain on the battery?

Thanks for the replies all.

I did think of the transport mode last night and have to investigate that.

Good point about the 4 pin connection, it would be only lights.

The trailer is a Carry On 7 X 12 Dual axle.

In transport mode, is there zero drain on the battery?

Transport mode disables the sensors, so the bike does not know it is moving around. It would be like having the bike sit in your garage.

I once towed my bike to Billings, MY from MI. Had it in transport mode. When I got there (3 days later), all was OK and the bike started right up.

We bought an enclosed 7 X 12 cargo trailer to haul the Tri-Glide on longer trips.

The trailer has a 7 pin plug due to having electric brakes, tow vehicle has both 7 pin and 4 pin.

I want to take 12V into the trailer to keep battery charged.

I have 2 options. Pick up 12V off of the 4 pin to maintain the battery or tap into the 12V supply for the trailer lights etc.

I don't see an issue with either option but want to make sure I am not missing something.

Thanks

Your 4 pin connection has left and right turn/brake, taillights, and a ground. If you tap into the taillights you would only have power when the vehicle lights are on. You will also need to tap the ground in order to get your pigtail powered and grounded.

The 7 pin connection has a constant 12v power but you would also need to tap your ground. I highly advise against tapping the 7 pin harness. Your brake controller relies on a small amount of current feedback to let it know that the trailer is connected. If you start to disrupt the amperage(?) you can confuse the trailer brake controller.

If it were me, which it clearly isn't, I would wire a dedicated power and ground but you still have no control of the power going to your m/c battery. I agree with the 110v inverter. You can get them for about $25 on amazon.

but really.... your trike can go for a while without needing a tender.

Last edited:
Your 4 pin connection has left and right turn/brake, taillights, and a ground. If you tap into the taillights you would only have power when the vehicle lights are on. You will also need to tap the ground in order to get your pigtail powered and grounded.

The 7 pin connection has a constant 12v power but you would also need to tap your ground. I highly advise against tapping the 7 pin harness. Your brake controller relies on a small amount of current feedback to let it know that the trailer is connected. If you start to disrupt the amperage(?) you can confuse the trailer brake controller.

If it were me, which it clearly isn't, I would wire a dedicated power and ground but you still have no control of the power going to your m/c battery. I agree with the 110v inverter. You can get them for about $25 on amazon.

but really.... your trike can go for a while without needing a tender.

I'm don't agree with this because the trailer has a battery that works with the emergency brake and it charges from the trailer harness. But if the battery is dead after transporting then transport mode is your solution anyway.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png