06 GL1800 Rough Engine

Dec 12, 2010
Frankfort
During last weekends ride my GW developed a very rough engine and loss of power. The engine miss was most noticeable at low speeds, however I could tell it was there at highway speeds as well.
Short version of two days of head scratchin.
Removed the spark plug covers on both sides, waited till dark and started the engine. Waited two more days, laid out 88 dollars and spent three hours installing new plug wires.
Runs great, and this bike has less than 10,000 miles since new. #5 plug wire had a hole burnt clear through the boot at the spark plug. I suppose this little malfunction had the computer a bit confused.

Never heard of this either.....a little "grabbin' at straws" here, but there isn't something metal and grounded close enough to the wire to make it try to arc to it is there....."just askin".....ThumbUp

All is clear around all of the boots skutt. My guess is that it has been defective to some degree from the get go. Since it was going to be a three hour job i decided to spend the extra 45 bucks and replace them all while i had it scattered all over the shop. Just thought i would post my experience in case another gw owner has a similar problem.

Grasping at straws here, too.......is it possible that the boot for the #5 plug wasn't fully snapped onto the spark plug and instead of the spark plug firing inside the combustion chamber, maybe it was arcing between the inside of the boot and top of spark plug causing it to burn the hole thru the boot ?

Whatever the cause, glad you got it fixed and shared that info for others.......

Ride Safe........

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammybo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammybo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png