You might want to check your dealers work

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
First off, I walked away completely fine. With that said, you might want to check to see if your dealer torqued your wheels properly. If not THIS could happen to you.

I was traveling south on I35 near Manley, IA. As i approached an overpass I felt the rear of the Trike start to wiggle. Felt like I had cut a tire. I let the throttle drop and as i crested the grade of the bridge I downshifted, @55 mph at that time. I had a very sudden, and violent, vibration in the bike. As soon as I cleared the guardrail I started drifting onto the right shoulder downshifting yet again. As my left rear went over the rumble strip i downshifted into 3rd. As soon as I let the clutch out the rear of my trike lifted up into the air, and there was an explosion of sound as the rear left tire went through the fended.

Left wheel hub crashed onto the hardtop and the trike made an immediate hard turn left causing it to head across the two lanes of traffic while still heading south. I was able to get it pointed south again and off onto the left shoulder. I came to a stop a couple hundred yards south of where the wheel came off. The four lug nuts were found on the roadway pretty close to each other. Surprised that any where found, let alone all four in the same area. The wheel travel quite a distance and was found along the fence 100 or so feet off the right shoulder and a good 2-3 10's of a mile from where it came off.

They removed, and installed, both rear wheels twice in the past 1,161 miles. And yes, it is a Dealer. Only thing they had to say so far is glad you were not hurt. Did not offer to pick up the towing bill or anything at all. What they say and do in the next few days will decide what route I take.

Keyston, first off thank God your alright! I just had a right rear go flat and I know how that pulled. I can only Imagine a wheel coming off! That was a great piece of driving. God was looking out for you.

Hey, I had a Guy turn around and come back to us and ask If he could take a picture of my trike. He said he was driving and the Sun reflected off of it and it caught his attention:Computer: He did ask if he could help. I said thanks but we had someone on the way. I don't know how he saw us. I had pulled way off the road into a paved area!

Wow! Glad you are okay!! Last time I had tires put on my truck at Wal-Mart I was watching them through the window to the shop. They put the wheels on, torqued them with a clicker wrench, drove the truck outside and back in and had another employee retorque them with the clicker wrench again. When I asked the guy at the register about it he said that they had too many lawsuits both real and not so real that they had lost, so this was the new procedure for all vehicles when installing wheels. Maybe your dealer could learn something from them.

Is that a factory tri glide?
If so I would be getting a hold of Harley,weather it it is under warrenty or not.
Was it a harley dealer who did the work.
To say I would be P$$$$$ would be a understatement!:mad::censored:

Holy mackerel, glad to hear that you're ok. Seems like you could've gotten hurt pretty badly if not for your coolheaded response. That dealer needs to step up and do anything you want--but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I hope your dealer does the right thing.

Glad to see you are OK... please let us know what the dealer says and does for you. I think if that happened to me and they did NOTHING.... the litigation would begin.... just my .02 cents.

Since 2007 I have purchased an Ultra, XL1200L, and the TG from them. Plus all of the other stuff such as parts, service, clothing etc. I did not buy my prior bikes from them, but had intended to purchase another 3-5 before we get to old to ride any longer.My point is that I should be looked at (so should all customers) as someone they don't want to loose as a customer.
They love to bring up Customer loyalty. Guess I will find out if they practice what the preach.
Until my Insurance Co is completed with it's investigation I can not say much as to the important details, but I will let all of the fine folks on this forum as to the outcome.

Someone was looking out for you for sure. Glad your ok and sorry about your trike.

Thanks for the heads up too. My wife's Tri Glide is in for the 1000 mile service and I have to admit your post has me worried now.

I have had nothing but bad service from my Harley dealer. There are alot of good ones out there but there sure are some bad ones. Three time I had my TG in for service and 3 times I found shoddy work. I will never darken their doorway again. If I actually need service work I will go to another dealer.

First and foremost, I'm glad you are OK, and were able to drive out of it! Secondly, your story is exactly why none of my bikes has ever been back to a dealer for anything!

UB

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png