TG Trunk lock

Oct 11, 2010
Seoul
Anyone experienced problems with the trunk lock on the 2011 TG? I went to get my helmet out of the trunk the other morning and found the lock assembly to be broken (the plastic sleeve internally was cracked in half and I can pull the wholle cylinder out). I honestly don't know if someone tried to get into it or it just failed. There were no signs of forced entry like scratches or pry marks.

I had a problem with mine not unlocking and I broke the internal plastic. The bad news is that HD has to rekey the cylinder (They can't use yours) and that takes 30 days!!

Mine 2011 TRI Glide was/is super sticky. Put a litle WD40 on it, it helped. The dealer told me there had been some challenges with the plastic in them.

Wish I had a better answer other than you are not alone.

Deb:cool:

My '11 did the same thing last week. Dealer had to order the part to fix it... has not come in yet. Have it taped so it does not fall out. Evidently this is an issue on the TG's.

My T2011 G also has the same problem, I would close it, then 5 miles down the road it would open, I sprayed WD40 on the entire lock assembly inside and out and that seemed to fix my problem. I only have the trike 2 months and I spray the lock monthly. Would be nice to see HD issue a recall for the lock, but I dont think they will :(

my 2010 was a pain in the butt -- couldn't leave it uplocked cause it would pop open on the road, lock always sticking -- but when i got the trike manual out i found that the locking pins were not adjusted right ( from the factory ) if you measure and set them to the factory specs it closes and locks easily. as far as the sticking goes the only thing I found that would cure it is wd-40 once a month

Best thing is to go th the hardware store and buy a lock set for the trunk. Much better lock and won't fail!

Do you know of a lock that is compatible with the latch in the trunk? Most hardware store locks have a flat plate that goes behind a latch rather than through a hole. Better yet, does anyone know of a replacement lock that has a "T" handle on it. Not quite as nice looking as a push button, but a lot more reliable.

The trim ring around the lock button on my '11 TG was coming out of the recess with less than a 1,000 miles on it. HD dealer ordered a new trunk lock which they say is an updated/improved part. Took a month to get the new part then the mechanics had fits getting it installed. What should have been a 30 minute to 1 hour job took over three hours. Don't know if it was a skill issue or what.

Haven't ridden much since the install so can't say how this one will hold up.

I finally got it replaced - took 30 days as others mentioned. What a pain. I don't know why they used a cheap plastic sleeve instead of aluminum or something stronger. It's all good again for now.

I have a 2011 tri glide ultra and the truck lok has broken on mine twice. Once in S. Dakota they fixed it as I waited. broke again here in Texas had to order the part been 2 weeks now waiting for the part to come in. I feel the same way why make something like a lock out of plastic dont make any sence.
Also iam having a real bad pinging problem. Iam using 93 octane fuel but it still pings. 3000 rpms staying in 5th gear most of the time at around 60 mph. Down shift accelerate and it pings driving me crazy. When the new lock comes in going to try to get harley to do something about this ping. Any other sugestions will help.

I have a problem closing my trunk. I have to really slam the door to get it to close. You can hear air escaping like it so air tight it wont close. Is there a way to adjust the lock so it will close easier?

I picked up my 2011 TriGlide Sep 2nd, the dealer noticed my lock was broken, so they ordered a new one. Still waiting for my new lock. It's embarrassing to have to pop the trunk with a screw driver on a brand new bike. It's been over 30 days waiting for these parts.

The lock ,the reverse system,the right side heat,flip over intercom covers,radio defects,ignition switch failures, are design flaws that hd ignores.it is too bad that a bike that is basicly really good doesn't have management that fixes its glaring flaws.that is hd's biggest mistake.failure to deal with long standing flaws.

I have a 2011tri-glide. My trunk lid has to be slambed shut & locked. HD ajusted it but will still open going down the road if not locked. Just got in the habit of keeping it locked. had to spray W-D40 on the lock also.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png