Michilin Pilot Active tires

Thanks for the info I understand that even running in normal rotation will
make a trike ride extremely well I am putting this tire on a 1800 wing with
a roadsmith conversion.

I'm on my third one. I got 25,000 on the first one and sold the trike with 10,000 on front tire and it looked like new. The one I have now has 18,000 on it and it will go 10,000 more easy!

I don't think so! the tire will out last the HD

LOL! Stan, you are such a troublemaker!!! :Trike1:

Rally, I don't think MPA makes one the correct size for the HD front wheel (at least that's what a friend found recently when he tried to find one for his RoadGlide trike. You probably have to select a good quality Dunlop rear motorcycle tire the right size and use that. Should give you excellent results with far more mileage than the traditional front tire tread.

I had one on a 89 Goldwing with a motortrike kit and it was mounted according to the arrow and it cupped some. The next one was mounted in reverse rotation and it did not cup. Got a lot better mileage than the Dunlaps almost triple.

Rally, I don't think MPA makes one the correct size for the HD front wheel (at least that's what a friend found recently when he tried to find one for his RoadGlide trike. You probably have to select a good quality Dunlop rear motorcycle tire the right size and use that. Should give you excellent results with far more mileage than the traditional front tire tread.

Thank you Nana. I just replaced my Dunlop at 17K not because of wear as much as instability (wobble) at low speeds. Thanks to you and this forum I know that I may have options for future replacement. ThumbUp

Will the MPA tire or similar made by Michelin work on a 2010 FLHXXX H-D?

Take a look at the Michelin Commander tires. I am thinking about trying that tire or a Metzelser, size, MU85 on the the front of my HD/CSC Trike when it's time. Also mounted reverse as the forum has discussed many times. Ride Safe!

When I Hanniganized my 2009 Goldwing at 12k miles I put an MPA on the front in Reverse direction. Now have 32K (20k on the MPA) and the tread looks about half worn. Looks like it will go another 10K. I developed a slight vibration about 2k ago, so I put that orange Ride On tire sealer/balancer in and vibration went away. Works for me. I will put another MPA on when this one goes.

I have the MPA mounted in reverse on my Champion.
22,000 miles and it's still in good shape.
However, I'm replacing it with another MPA and the back tires when we get back from Maggie Valley as we will be doing more long rides and I want fresh rubber on all 3 corners.

I just put one on my Honda VTX1800 with Champion conversion. Increased mileage was the initial goal, but handling is greatly improved. A 150/18/17 was not available in a Michelin Pilot Activ, so I opted for a 150/70/17, just a tad more low profile, but not much. Has only been a few days, but very happy with it, thus far.

:Flag:

Can anybody explain why a rear tire, mounted in reverse, on the front of a trike works so well and outperforms a normally mounted front tire?

Thank you.

Ride safe!

Watch out for the idiots!

Mike

:wtg:

:Flag:

Can anybody explain why a rear tire, mounted in reverse, on the front of a trike works so well and outperforms a normally mounted front tire?

Thank you.

Ride safe!

Watch out for the idiots!

Mike

:wtg:
First, rear versus front. Rear tires are generally stronger and slightly flatter in profile. Note the last two numbers in the designations here, which are the load ratings:

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotactiv

Reverse rotation - This is due to the fact that you're putting braking forces through a tire that was designed to handle acceleration. I've read that Michelin suggests it.

One thing you missed - bias versus radial. The bias ply has a stiffer sidewall, which can better handle the strong side forces when turning a trike.

I use a Bridgestone BT-45, which is also pretty popular.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png