Trip Planning

Feb 18, 2008
Roswell, Ga
Planning a trip to S. Dakota and down thru Colorado. Live in Ga. Before I start planning details, would like to know the best time of the year to travel. I am talking weather. any info is appreciated. Thank you:Flag:

Planning a trip to S. Dakota and down thru Colorado. Live in Ga. Before I start planning details, would like to know the best time of the year to travel. I am talking weather. any info is appreciated. Thank you:Flag:
July/August have the best weather in the CO mountains (afternoon thundershowers aside), but very crowded roads. Motorhomes abound. June has somewhat less crowds. May is often snowy, some roads don't open until Memorial Day.

My personal choice is September. Some chance you'll get snowed on, but right after Labor Day, the traffic drops way off, and the weather is _usually_ perfect. The afternoon thundershowers have generally gone. Mornings at altitude will be cold (can happen even in August), be prepared.

I'm planning on going west from Kentucky to ride through scenic areas and national parks while avoiding large cities and congestion. I'm old and lazy so I won't be camping out.

I'm very open to suggested routes and destinations as well as general suggestions and advice!

4 of my friends ( all from Georgia :) JUST got back yesterday from out west. Yellowstone etc. ran into snow at yellowstone, wind, rain else where. Made it to St. Louis where they encountered MORE heavy rain hail, flooding but had a very nice trip :)

I have found that late august into early sept to be lower traffic, my get some snow in yellowstone or glacier but its gone by 10am and usually a nice cool day to ride follows. I am leaving 8/19 for a jaunt to the grand canyon, four corners, colorado rocky mt national et al, should be nice that time of year down in the southern rockys! JMHO, I alwayse enjoy seeing the KIDS go back to school:Monster:

Be sure to visit yellowstone,then the tetons,then drop on down to bryce and zion canyons in Utah then you could go to the north rim of the grand canyon.
I know why God rested on the seventh day he had spent the six days before building the rockys and surounding area.
:10::10::10::yes::yes::yes:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png