Where can I find a reverse trike rear wheel?

Jun 19, 2011
Fryeburg, ME, USA
Where can I find a tadpole rear wheel?"

Hey guys, I am planning out a custom build and am in the final stages of planning. I am honestly having a hard time finding a rear wheel! I'm going to be running a chain drive from a Subaru Boxer engine back to a rear wheel and unfortunately finding a rear wheel is proving to be way harder than I thought it would be. I'm of course not a huge motorcycle guy so I may be looking in the completely wrong place...

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Update : I've finished mostly everything now (including the suspension), I am now just looking for a rear wheel I can use for this build and deciding on my gearing ratios from the transmission to the wheel.

Getting close now!

Last edited:
Lots of us here willing to offer advice, opinions, etc., but can you please clarify. You will be driving from a Sub tranny (not 'engine'), I assume? Driveshaft output from the tranny? If so, how will you convert driveshaft to chain? Which side will chain drive be on? Why not motorcycle wheel? How about your suspension, got that solved?

Let me try this again haha

I will be taking a complete subaru motor and tranny from a donor car that is AWD (as all subarus have been since 1997 I believe. I own a Forester right now and I will be using a Forester engine and tranny for this project. The power to the front wheels comes directly out of the tranny on the sides. I will be cutting one of these drive axels down to size and installing a gear onto it which will then go direct back to the rear wheel to power it.

I thought that the correct terminology for a trike with 1 wheel in the back and 2 in the front was a reverse trike? Am I not correct?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT : To answer your other questions!
1. I am open to using either side for the chain drive as I have left it open to allow me to use different wheels that may be set up on different sides.
2. For suspension...that was a bit tricky when I first though about it. I came up with a few ideas but none are completely set in stone. I would like input on what you may think the best way to do suspension would be. I'm thinking a pair of coilovers mounted into the wheels support frame would work...but I am unsure about the chain becoming loose when I go over bumps. But I think I may have a fix for that, or maybe it isn't a problem...I have a few other ideas but am just looking for some ways to explain them haha

I read pretty much the entire thing, it's a good read.

A lot of the stuff is there for a regular trike set up though, I'm trying a reverse setup with 2 wheels up front for steering and 1 in the back for power.

I have a 240 rear wheel and tire from a v-rod. Complete w/ disk , brake assembly,and axle. Less than 2000 miles on it. $250.00 plus shipping

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png