Rider Backrest

Stock 2011 Tri Glide. The Harley web sight does not list one. My wife is about 5'2". Would like to try a backrest before adding 2" extended bars. The Super Reduced Reach Seat was to thin. The stock seat sat better, for her. So backrest is all I can think to make it fit her a little better. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks, Ray

Ray,

The best thing I could come up with is part number 52423-09A, seems like it does fit the triglide. It is the adjustable version and goes for about 100 bucks. I see there are some listed on E-bay for 94.00 and it claims that the backrest does not move the rider forward. So, not sure that it will help, but let me know what you come up with, thinking about the backrest for myself.

Enjoy, ride safe!

I have a 2011 tri-glide. The dealer & the book said the only back rest that would fit is the adjusable one. I wanted to use the one off my 04 ultra. They said it won't fit,so I paid $300.00 for the new one. A week later I tried my old backrest. It fit perfect. The old rest has a pouch built in. My wife loves that. Why do they get something that works, then do away with it?

I kept my adjustable backrest off my 05 Classic, the dealer also told me it would not fit. I straightened out the cruve on the frame of the backrest, drilled a hole to line up with the frame of the trike and it works just fine. Saved me a couple of hundred bucks -- oh ya I installed the adjustment bracket in the plastic heat shield --( looks like it was made to go there )

Thanks for the replies.
We did it.
Bracket part# 52589-09A. Fits '09 and later (Except Trike). And rider backrest Part# 52572-09A Fits '88 and later (Except Trike). I paid $205.14 out the door. I'm an MVP member at the local dealer and get 15% off, otherwise I may have done something else.
The parts guy said they would fit and that they had installed them on other Tri Glides. But that the brackets would come loose over time. He also told me to leave the front part of the bracket off, that the frame was different and there was nowhere to mount it.
He was wrong. All of it fit just fine. Kept my bolts loose till I had them all in place and it was a piece of cake. Two bolts with lock nuts and four with loctite. We rode 100 miles today and it did not fall off. Maybe later but so far so good.
The backrest is still about 3" from her back. I'm hoping the local upolstery lady can fix us up on that little problem.
I apologize for the long post and the photo if its not allowed. But i had issues uploading it. Sorry admin:

Biggest thing to keep in mind when fitting a trike to a short rider is how far do they plan on riding. If all they do is short little rides then you can get away with pushing them forward somewhat. If they are going to put log days in the saddle your going to have to pony up the bucks to change the bars to ones that will fit them. What will happen more often than not is they have to bend forward to reach the bars and on long rides they will develop quite a bit of pain between their shoulders. Bringing the bars back to where they can sit back in a comfortable position will go a long way towards helping eliminate the pain.

I kept my adjustable backrest off my 05 Classic, the dealer also told me it would not fit. I straightened out the cruve on the frame of the backrest, drilled a hole to line up with the frame of the trike and it works just fine. Saved me a couple of hundred bucks -- oh ya I installed the adjustment bracket in the plastic heat shield --( looks like it was made to go there )

The dealership installed mine the same way. Very nice look, and functions perfectly.

That said, unless I have the backrest adjusted all the way forward when I am 2-up, it bothers my wife's legs, and she asks me to move it all the way forward.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png