The cat got gutted today

Dec 8, 2010
Byhalia, MS
Finally had the time today and killed the cat.

What a PIA.

Finally got all the guts out and welded it back up. Thought it would be louder...going to be getting some Rush slip-ons to get the sound where I want it.

Only rode it about 30 miles after, and the weather was cooler today than it has been...next few days should be able to get a few hundred miles in to really see how much cooler it is running.

While I could tell the engine was a little happier, there does not seem to be any significant increase or decrease in torque anywhere in the powerband...will have a better idea when I get it really warmed up and pull some hills.

You may want to look into a racing tune up kit. We ended up with the Kuryakyn Perfect Storm with the Crusher Mufflers. Now our trike has power, gets better milage, and runs the way it was intended.

I've been riding the TG every day and it seemed cooler with the cat gone...but today was the first time the wife went out for a ride since the cat was killed.

It was 100+ out today and she was VERY Pleased that the cat was gone...said it made a huge difference for her.

Still waiting on the Rush slip-ons. Seat of the pants says it has a bit more power with the cat gone. Still is doggy when fully warmed up and especially above 70 mph.

That's a good find, Bob. I wish I knew a good metal worker around my parts. I'd be willing to give this a go before paying $500 for a new catless header.

Any idea what something like this might cost me? Would I expect a local shop to give me heartburn over modifying a stock exhaust? What kind of shop would I go to?

Get outta here! Really!? Send or post the info please! Man, I wonder if this includes sending him yours.

I'm with JohnC, I would like to find a local place to do this for me. I have never welded in my life. I know a welder though. I have the stock exhaust off my last two bikes just sitting in boxes. I would love to find a place to gut mine and give me some slip-ons in exchange for them both. I obviously need to wake up...........

Thanks TrikerMutha, this was real informative. Oh, I also sent an e-mail to Jackpot and asked what the price of those cat free ceramic coated head pipes would cost.......

Rob

Link to e bay auction now going on. Guy is in Kokomo, Indiana and I am running a set I got from him.
2010-2011 Harley Tri Glide Touring Header NO CAT 2INTO2 Exhaust | eBay
When I got pipe, I wrapped it with header wrap before installing. Still running stock mufflers. Ran it this way for awhile then added air cleaner and tuner.
Now that I have the basics of this Power Vision tuner, will be adding some old SE slip ons I have from one of my old touring bikes.
After I bought the pipe I am running now, I took my stock one back to this guy and had him remove the CAT. Send me a PM with offer if you want them.
Dennis

Dennis,
You are driving a hard bargain. I'm old school and love to barter.

How about this, you send me the modified head pipe, and I will send you a barely used 05' Road King Classic stock exhaust system (less than .5k miles), or a never used stock Road King Classic seat, or, a never used 2010 VRSCDX exhaust system and, AND, wait for it, I will buy a lift kit off of you now instead of later? :eek:)

Rob

Dennis,
You are driving a hard bargain. I'm old school and love to barter.

How about this, you send me the modified head pipe, and I will send you a barely used 05' Road King Classic stock exhaust system (less than .5k miles), or a never used stock Road King Classic seat, or, a never used 2010 VRSCDX exhaust system and, AND, wait for it, I will buy a lift kit off of you now instead of later? :eek:)

Rob
I am a little old school myself, just good old cash! Have no need for what you mentioned above. Send me an e mail and we will strike a deal for the pipe with you sending back the one you remove. OH, then maybe a deal on some lift brackets.
Dennis
glassbeveling@hotmail.com

Get outta here! Really!? Send or post the info please! Man, I wonder if this includes sending him yours.

I'm with JohnC, I would like to find a local place to do this for me. I have never welded in my life. I know a welder though. I have the stock exhaust off my last two bikes just sitting in boxes. I would love to find a place to gut mine and give me some slip-ons in exchange for them both. I obviously need to wake up...........

Thanks TrikerMutha, this was real informative. Oh, I also sent an e-mail to Jackpot and asked what the price of those cat free ceramic coated head pipes would cost.......

Rob
It looks like he has another pipe that should work on your bike also,,looks like 80 bucks.

Hope it works out for everyone.

I bought two Header pipes from this same guy (Rollinfast) on Ebay. One 2into2 for my wife's 2010 SG Trike and a 2into1 for my 2010 RK. This guy does a good job. He welds them like they are supposed to be welded. I've seen a lot of pics on different forums where People butted the ends together. You are suppose to use at least a 1/16 filler rod gap to let the root pass fill in. Butting together will often times mean cracks. just saying!

anybody interested, I have the guy's email address.

10rhrk,
Hey Bro! How was the vacation? Hope you had a great time. Ours was a blast, will pm you the details.

I had been discussing a possible deal with Dennis and as I told him, based on what I've learned here, I know if I replace that head pipe, I will have to do a programmer, and new intake immediately, plus the cost of new mufflers, and the heat tape. Funds are a little too tight for that right now, and I still have about two months of riding left and want to get as much in as possible. Perhaps I will have the opportunity during the off season to get it all done so she's ready for spring. This whole prospect has been a whirlwind of thoughts for me. And, I really want to keep the stock head pipe in case Uncle Sam says I have to put it back on.

I really just wanted to start with a new set of slip-ons. And, maybe I could get some of you to give me your opinions on the Cobra Tri-Ovals. I have been checking them out on You Tube and they sound pretty good. But I have no history with this company and it's not a name you frequently hear so I have no idea about their products. I am primarily looking at ovals and other mufflers with unique tips for two reasons. One of course is what owning a H-D is all about, personalization. The other and this may be a little over thought out, but, I think the Tri-Ovals, as odd as they look, and this is just my opinion, will add more of a antique classic car like look, and as bizarre as that sounds as a desired effect on a motorcycle, I don't think anyone can deny that back of Tri-Glide resembles the back of a car. Add the H-D bumper and I think the whole thing pulls together naturally. Again, in my opinion.

Rob

10rhrk,
Hey Bro! How was the vacation? Hope you had a great time. Ours was a blast, will pm you the details.

I had been discussing a possible deal with Dennis and as I told him, based on what I've learned here, I know if I replace that head pipe, I will have to do a programmer, and new intake immediately, plus the cost of new mufflers, and the heat tape. Funds are a little too tight for that right now, and I still have about two months of riding left and want to get as much in as possible. Perhaps I will have the opportunity during the off season to get it all done so she's ready for spring. This whole prospect has been a whirlwind of thoughts for me. And, I really want to keep the stock head pipe in case Uncle Sam says I have to put it back on.

I really just wanted to start with a new set of slip-ons. And, maybe I could get some of you to give me your opinions on the Cobra Tri-Ovals. I have been checking them out on You Tube and they sound pretty good. But I have no history with this company and it's not a name you frequently hear so I have no idea about their products. I am primarily looking at ovals and other mufflers with unique tips for two reasons. One of course is what owning a H-D is all about, personalization. The other and this may be a little over thought out, but, I think the Tri-Ovals, as odd as they look, and this is just my opinion, will add more of a antique classic car like look, and as bizarre as that sounds as a desired effect on a motorcycle, I don't think anyone can deny that back of Tri-Glide resembles the back of a car. Add the H-D bumper and I think the whole thing pulls together naturally. Again, in my opinion.

Rob

Vacation was great! Headed home now. I agree with the look of the Trike. I plan to leave this one alone except what I've already done. Good luck with your upgrades.

Oh, By The Way, our special friend Dennis, came through and not only sold me a lift kit, he also sold me a gutted head pipe he had at a tremendous price!!!!!!!

This guy is freakin' fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

Congrat's on the help. Lot's of good Folks on this forum. I have a spare Header from my wife's 2010 Trike. I'm waiting to see what she says about the heat. When I put the gutted header on her 2010, she said she couldn't tell any difference. We'll see! I'm buying back my Road king. Missing my two wheeler!!

10rhrk,
And you know you are one of them!

I was wondering, did you wrap the head pipe or have it ceramic coated before installing it? I am hearing that ceramic coating can reduce the heat transmission by up to 40% - 50% depending on the coating material thickness. Of course the more you spend the more protection you get. Swaintech Coating boast 35-55%. And their material is supposed to be .015" thick compared to others at .002".

Of course their price of $40 a foot is an estimate, I will need to send them a photograph and some dimensions to get a better idea, but it could cost in the market of $180. - $240. which is a really good deal if it lives up to it's name and does what it says it will. Reduce that heat!

I know a guy selling a Ultra Limited with all the goodies at a great price.............I could put you in touch with him.

Rob

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png