2011 triglide gas gage

Jul 2, 2011
youngstown, ohio
Just bought a new 2011 triglide and found that when the gas gage reads empty there is still approx. two gal. in the tank. dealer said that at empty on the gage you are supposed to go to the miles left in the tank readout. when it gets to one gal. in the tank a low light comes on and you have one gal. left. they say this is normal . can anyone tell me if this is a fact?

Last edited:
Just bought a new 2011 triglide and found that when the gas gage reads empty there is still approx. two gal. in the tank. dealer said that at empty on the gage you are supposed to go to the miles left in the tank readout. when it gets to one gal. in the tank a low light comes on and you have one gal. left. they say this is normal . can anyone tell me if this is a fact?

Congrats on the TRI-Glide. What does the manual say?

Take a one gallon gas jug with you and run the bike dry to see when the light comes on and how far you can go before you run out. Also after you dump the galon in hopefully you are close to a station so you can see what your useable fuel was. What you pump in plus the one gallon. My six gallon tank has a 6 gallon useable. I go by mileage for my fillups. The gas guage is just an indicator for me.

just a note, i use miracle oil 2 oz. per tank of fuel to sweeten up the fuel. o rings etc in the fuel pump might benefit. i also use the 1/4 tank rule. if the fuel pump gets hot it will burn-out. really costly replacement. . also a fuell gas tank keeps condensation down. enjoy the tri-glide. it will really come to life when you put a direct-drive cam kit in it.also keey the radio covered when you wash the bike.

mine went bad, while under warr.but first the CAT is a problem if you replace the pipes keep the old ones, for state inspections. (if you are in one of those areas. lb

the manual says the fuel gage indicates approx. the amount of fuel that is in the tank. I guess what I'm asking is . Is the fuel gage supposed to be reasonably close to what the digital readout shows? I checked the fuel amount when filling up and gage needle said empty,but the six gallon tank only took four gallons. have anyone noticed the same problem on the 2011?

I'm changing the engine to a 120 cube to give it a little more zip. I'm also changing the pipes,so the cats will go and I won't have to have my leg roasted any more. I appreciate your comments guys.

when the gauge read "E" you will have about a gallon of gas left in the tank. Once the light comes on you have a 1/2 gallon of gas left and better head to the gas station.

The approx. miles read out is just that a approx. est. of how many more miles you have left of gas.

According to the owners manual page 37, "when the low fuel lamp turns on, there is approximately 1.00 gallon (3.79 liters) of fuel remaining in the tank."
Butch

According to the owners manual page 37, "when the low fuel lamp turns on, there is approximately 1.00 gallon (3.79 liters) of fuel remaining in the tank."
Butch

+1

My low fuel light comes on at the 1 gallon level and gives me a distance till Im out.

While we are on this subject of fuel, I wanted to give everyone a FYI, you should replace the fuel filter around 25-30k miles. You would be surprized how dirty the filter is

Heres a picture of mine after 28k miles

+1

My low fuel light comes on at the 1 gallon level and gives me a distance till Im out.

While we are on this subject of fuel, I wanted to give everyone a FYI, you should replace the fuel filter around 25-30k miles. You would be supprized how dirty the filter is

Heres a picture of mine after 28k miles

That's uuugly, thank you for the heads up and photo, my gas level and gas light works the same as yours.
Butch

When my gas light comes on, I usually have 37 miles to Reserve. Not sure how much reserve is. But like you, when I run it that low in fuel, I usually only take 4.5 to 4.9 gallons.

The gauge is sort of alright, but the mileage to empty is very good. When my light comes on I usually have 1/2 -1 gal left. That usually depends on if I am on highway or not. If you get really low, keep an eye on that number because it will switch to "lo" reading at some point. And of course, getting that last half gallon in the tank is the hardest. Enjoy the TG.

Just like most evryone else. Gauge on E, 2 gallons left. Low fuel light comes on at 1.0 gallons left. The reserve digital indicator is about right also. It is just the guage that is way off. My 2010 Ultra was the same.

427 Dave, I guess you and me are in the same boat. You have exactly the same situation as me. Two gallons in the tank when the gage needle says empty. After reading all the info on all the other trikes that you guys have. I guess I fit right into the norm. I guess that it's another thing that Harley can't seem to get right. My 04 Buick Ultra has the same system and it's dead nuts. When the gage reads empty the digital read out is on 0. Thanks for all the input guys. Helped a lot.

This is exactly what mine does.

On every Harley I have had I pretty much ignore the gauge (if it had one) and go by the tripmeter.

On my 2011 TG the miles left til empty seems to be pretty accurate..but I still primarily use the tripmeter.

when my gauge shows empty, I'll have almost 2 gal. left in the tank.
I go by my trip meter, get around 140 to 150 miles, I start looking for a gas station.
fuel gauge is only for looks, and to fill a hole in the dash.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png