Motorcyclist Dies On Ride Protesting Helmet Law In New York

Mar 14, 2011
Durham, NC USA
7/3/2011
ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement. The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse. State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets. Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital. Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

Re: Motorcyclist Dies On Ride Protesting Helmet Law In New York

Same thing happened here a couple of nights ago in the K-Mart parking lot when a young guy let a friend ride his sport bike, no helmet. The friend hit a curb and then his head on the pavement. Call me chicken, but I always wear a helmet when riding regardless of the states law. Ive seen first hand how even a minor accident can kill you or turn you into a vegetable.

sorry for the loss of life, but i'm a freeway guy and don't wear a helmet while on the freeway. i live in the country of northern indiana. but i do wear it cross country as ill.& mo. have helmet laws.lb

I already gots all the drain bramage I need. :Trike1:

I always wear a helmet , as my beautiful kisser and swiss movement brain need all the help they can get , don't want to mess with perfection

Sorry to hear about those folks dying but I still gota say Let Those Who Ride Decide. Ride Free:D

Sorry to hear about the loss.. I been hit twice in 30 years never did anything for me. I don't wear it by choice. Rather ride in state with no helmet laws. It's my choice!!

I'm kind of mixed on this issue.

When I was in my 20s, a bike on which I was riding as a passenger went down when we slipped on an oil slick. I dislocated my shoulder, had some road rash, and was in shock for an hour or so (lost the ability to speak), but my head was OK, though I distinctly remember the feeling of my helmet skidding along the pavement with the rest of me. So the helmet saved me that time.

OTOH, I like to let people make their own choices in general, as long as we taxpayers don't get stuck with the bill when someone needs long-term care after a head injury due to riding helmetless. I know, I know--there are lots of other bad choices that taxes end up paying for, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to limit them. I've heard that some states require that you carry a certain amount of insurance if you ride without a helmet--that makes sense to me, on the face of it, though I don't really know the details or pros and cons of that solution.

Anyway, having plenty of insurance myself, I confess that when we crossed into Florida on our ride home yesterday, yes, the Chief and I stopped and removed our helmets.

Lets get rid of seat belts,air bags,anti lock brakes,child seats and all the other safty stuff.....wear the helmet save a brain.

So sorry to hear of any biker's death. Husband and I both always wear helmets, but we disagree about the law. He sees it as a decision he wants to make, and I agree with the helmet laws. I understand the other side but, when I see bikers in heavy traffic on highways with idiot drivers weaving in and out of traffic, I get really nervous when I see bikers without helmets.

Always wear it and good thing as two years ago I was T-boned by a car and the scar on the helmet showed it saved my life !!!!

Paralized or Dead!!! hummm decisions.... decisions! Let kavorken do what he needs and than my choice may be clearer.. I'm not living my life as a vegi!

Just my 2 cents!!

This tragic and ironic accident made news this side too; I have to say sincere condolences to all who knew and loved our Brother biker, blessings on your new journey Brother.

It reinforces the need to ride carefully, legally and responsibly...yet at the same time experience the sense of freedom and "wind in the face" which I am sure is one of the attractions which draws all of us onto our machines.
Ride safe and free all, enjoy the journey!! :)

Its sad when any life is lost but I think wearing a helmet should be my choice not some law makers. If we let the law decide what we are to wear then we would all have a bullet proof vest because if all the guns on the street. We would all be wearing neck braces to protect us from breaking our necks during a fall, back braces to protect our backs, steel boots to protect our feet, steel leg protectors and so on if the law is serious about protecting us.

I saw a bus load of kids pass me yesterday and not one seat belt on the buss except for the driver yet you will get a ticket if you do not wear yours when driving your car. What is it our kids doen't count, they don't need protected? Point being the law is not there to protect but collect. I don't mean this in a bad way I have friends who are in law inforcement and I am alway joking with them about the word "inforcement" because that is what the law does force people not let them make up their own minds as to how they will live there life. If you think about everything the law says will kill you, no one would ever leave the house.

I only wear one thing when I ride and that is the faith God is watching over me because when it comes my time to leave this world it will not matter if I am riding, taking a bath, or putting shingles on my roof, my time will be up and no law can tell when and what way I will be going out of this world. We are people who can make dicisions on our own, no one needs the law or anyone for that matter to do that for us. I am 57 years old and have rode bikes and now trikes from 13 years old till now and the only time I have ever put on a helmet is when I ride in a state that says I have to which would make my helmet wear about 10% of my life, if that.

I could tell you about the two head on's I had with cars and the many times in my wilder days that I was thrown from my bikes or the time I was clocked doing over 140 thru town or all the other crazy stuff I did that would build an arguement that everyone should wear helmets but I believe it should be our choice whether to wear a helmet or not. If the law were to make a law to save my life from everything I have done they would still be making laws around the clock. Ride safe and aways use the brain you were given it is the only thing that is going to protect you not the helmet. Just my humble opinion.

Yep - that dude died for his cause. Did his family buy into that? Are they pleased he died doing what he wanted - without thought to his family?

We are not islands. Even if you are an orphan you matter to someone. You have an effect on the world around you.

Obviously, I wear a helmet even when I'm not required to do so. I do not want my family to be adversely effected by my love of motorcycle riding. I can't control everything, but I can take steps to lessen my risk.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png