YEP another new trike rider

Jul 5, 2011
Baltimore, MD
This POPTOP from Baltimore, MD. I have a 2009 Tri-Glide. I am not new to motorcycles, My wife and I love to travel. Only have 4 more states and will have ridden in all 50. Interested in what kind of problems besides the over heating on the HD trike if any.
POPTOP

As the owner of a 95 FLHTC with the 80ci evo motor and a 2007 Motor trike "Trog" kit I thought I was having heating problems with my engine , but after installing a oil temp sender and led guage from Pro Sport I fink my running oil timp in 90 degree weather to be only 167 degrees at 65 mph. The whole set up cost about a hundred bucks and it is digital. After getting these readings I have to look elsewhere for possible engine problems.

This POPTOP from Baltimore, MD. I have a 2009 Tri-Glide. I am not new to motorcycles, My wife and I love to travel. Only have 4 more states and will have ridden in all 50. Interested in what kind of problems besides the over heating on the HD trike if any.
POPTOP

Welcome aboard. glad you joined us. Some people complain about the rear brakes on the "09". I have a conversion HD so no help.

:putergreet:
welcome.gif
Welcome, POPTOP..................

Hey,
This is POPTOP from Baltimore. I would suggest anyone having over heating issues with the trikes to contact the Harley customer service and get a customer number, and then contact your dealer. If people keeping doing their own fixes, then Harley can say you voided your warranty, and Harley can't fix what they don't know. You want this in writing. I have my 09 in the shop and keep you posted. The heat got some hot, I had second degree burns on the inside of my legs, and the bike actully started smoking where it discolored my air cleaner and horn and now is blowing oil through the air cleaner. I told Harley and the dealer that the bike is a touring bike and is supposed to be ready to tour. I don't care what remedies you come up with, but not on my dollar. And that the motor needs to be inspected for pre-mature engine wear due to the heating issues.
POPTOP

Hi DonH, welcome to the Forum. You appear to be having some advice provided already, but expect more - these folks are nothing less than sensational! Good luck solving your problem.

I wouldn't let the dealership do a Stage 1. From what I hear it is a waste of time and money. That is the first thing my dealership wanted to do to my 09. Instead, I got Vance & Hines slash cut slip ons, and Power Commander V. I haven't done a whole lot, but it really cut my heat to where I can stand it. I also have a crotch cooler under my seat that keeps the heat from burning my legs, which only happens in stop and go. My oil temps in 100 degree weather run a high of 265. Not great, but seems to be about the normal range for Tri Glides after some heat management has been done. There are several folks on here that have done a lot more than I have, including cams, fans, new oil coolers, etc. So far, I haven't seen the need, not to say I won't ever add to the cooling down of the trike. Good Luck!

Edited to add...I do find my rear brakes to be somewhat mushy! They are really bad after a good washing of the trike. Guess they get wet. So far, the pads are holding up though. I have almost 15,000 on the bike.

DonH, welcome to the best trike forum on the net, and as you can see, you are already getting some good advice. And we do appreciate your sharing your experiences.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png