Veterans/Retired Military

Sad to say that was the only thing edible in the BT Mess-hall..(1965)..

Say what? You didn't like powdered eggs, powdered milk or powdered potatoes. And what about Midrats. Go into the chowhall at midnight for some of that greasy bacon or crumppled up pieces of it anyways and all the scrambled eggs (powdered) you could eat. And how about them gag bags with the moldy ham and cheese sandwiches. Free room and board. Hell nothing better give me 20 more.:pepper:

Say what? You didn't like powdered eggs, powdered milk or powdered potatoes. And what about Midrats. Go into the chowhall at midnight for some of that greasy bacon or crumppled up pieces of it anyways and all the scrambled eggs (powdered) you could eat. And how about them gag bags with the moldy ham and cheese sandwiches. Free room and board. Hell nothing better give me 20 more.:pepper:

In Nam....98 Percent of the meals we had were ''C's''.....And we would try to use/eat as much as soon as we were resupplied to save weight, And what we didn't want to eat or carry around in the rucksack we would open the can with the the P38 and toss it..Also on the rare occasion when we swept though a village. And wanted to give some of the ''C's'' to the Indigenous Personal we made sure to open the can a twist or two with the P38 so they had to eat it right away and not save it for Charlie after we moved on...

The P-38 is known as a "John Wayne" by the United States Marine Corps, because of its toughness and dependability.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][unreliable source?][/SUP][SUP][citation needed][/SUP] The can opener is pocket-sized, approximately 1.5 inches (38 mm) long, and consists of a short metal blade that serves as a handle, with a small, hinged metal tooth that folds out to pierce the can lid.

acc-p38_lg.jpg

Ask me how I did this: Active duty From July 1972-1975 delayed enlistment to get E-1 out of Basic.

Left AF in July of 1975 @ 3years & 6 months early release because Viet Nam had ended. Viet Nam Era Vet.

Returned To DOD Feb 1977 as a Wg-5 Aircraft Electrician.

Enlisted in the AF Reserves to acquire my retirement benefits in 1985. Ended up taking a medical @ 16&1/2 years. Retired Msgt 423x9 1999. All the time still working as a civilian for the DOD. Dont get that mixed up with ARTS. Retired from DOD WS-09 AC maintenance Expediter. Retired the C-141 from McChord in 1999 and continued with the C-17 for 10 more years. Flew with the last C-141 from McChord and returned from Davis Monthan on a C-17 retiring finally from DOD in 2009.

Nearly 37 years with a few breaks and everything added up. Was what they called a double dipper since you cant draw 2 retirements from uncle sugar except for the way I did it. Motorcycles have been my main mode of transportation for nearly 50 years. Retired to a tri glide in 2020. Riding my 70 year old ass to Sturgis in August 2024 from Tacoma, Wa. to Rapid City SD. Oh.... My aching Arse.

And the metal garbage can wake up alarm!

Oh yeah that trash can didn't wake up Ralph. Ralph was a kid from my High School. We didn't even know we both had joined up. He had one of the top racks (civey's call it a bed). Anyways, because Ralph was so slow at getting out of the rack, the DI @ Parris Island SSGT Shirah fresh back from the Nam grabbed his mattress and flipped him out. He hit that concrete and that was the end of his hip. Never saw him again. But I remember thinking, you sorry sack a shit, you're going home and leaving me here by myself. Those were the good days.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember Getting One Of These.........

View attachment 114101

Oh yeah, but it was the one in the left buttock that literally kicked my ass.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png