disappointed

dirtdobber

Gone But Never Forgotten
Jul 8, 2011
sand mountain, AL
After paying out the nose for my 2010 CSC trike I found that new doesn't always mean good.
After finding the shaky problem see the tread here
http://www.triketalk.com/forum/honda-trikes/7614-shaky-front-end-part-2-a.html

I have to wait for a few weeks to get it fixed. I do not trust my dealer services at this point. He said he could not feel the vibration/shaky. I am going to use another CSC installer/services but they can not get to it until the last of August. Now I have to find a way to get it there. My trailer is too small.
I have a trip coming up he 3rd week of September so I guess we/I will have to take the 2 wheel version.
Oh well, should have done better research

dd:Flag:

Sorry u are having the issues. Its hard to check on the quality of workmanship unless u have some buddies that have used the same installer. Even then the installer might not handle a issue that came up. I spent a lot of time but in the end its a crap shoot.

one of the best handling trikes i have owned was a CSC on a 1500 wing. but that was back when CSC was not trying to make their dealers money by refusing to allow us to do our own conversions.

when we do our own, we take the time to do it right, we don't have two more being assembled at the same time.

when i did my valkyrie last month, i bought a trike shop (roadsmith) kit. why ? well one because it has a state of the art independant suspention, but mostly because they still allow owner installation. mine works fine .

I've been reading about the head shake on the forum since I bought my trike last Oct. I have not had any of these problems. It's a 98 gl 1500 triked in 2000 with a champion trike kit 2 1/2 degree rake. I have about 6000 miles on it rides great. Must of had a good installer. And I am suer happy about that.

I have never had a headshake problem with my 2006 GL1800 either before or after I converted it to a Roadsmith trike back in February. and That's both before and after installation of a pull-back kit, rake kit and fork Superbrace. Why that problem happens on some bikes and not others is a total mystery to me.

In my case it isn't a mystery anymore. least wise it should correct the problem when the axle lock is repaired.

Should have been caught by the trike mech... Instead of me having to find the problem.

You found the source of the problem on your trike - darned good piece of detective work - that the mech should hav e found, but the mystery of front end wobble or headshake still remains for the two-wheelers: why some and not others?

Hi dirtdobber, I am sorry that it was what I suggested in my 7/19 posting but now you have it under control. I don't know how handy you are with the wrench and whether or not they will honor the mistake and fix it for free, but it is something a good mechanic can do himself as long as you can get the parts. Just a suggestion my friend. Here is my post from 7/19 (as if it matters now, right?):

Hi dirdobber, I agree with Rowdy. In addition, there is one more thing you should check. The rear wheels/shafts. I had a bent (then broken) drive shaft on one side of the differential which caused a serious vibration of my mirrors etc. and I would have sworn that it was my front tire out of balance, however, it was a new tire with dynabeads for balancing. After the shaft broke and I replaced it the vibration was gone. Just a suggestion.... I hope it is simply the tire/wheel out of balance.

I hate to say this, but you must a bit of a jerk whenever you take your bike in for service. I mean let the service the serviceing people know what you expect up front. I am know by my service people to wahn to know if they can handle my problem, if not i will take it else where.

A couple of things that may help to understand. First CSC is covering the issue under warranty. They said take it to any CSC dealer. I have a appointment with a different trike shop, that's all they do and come recommended. Tony's trikes are going to check it completely and do the repair. They are in the middle of moving so it will be a few weeks before they can get to it. I found the problem using my bikers instincts. I started by jacking up each side and comparing things. Once I found the right side had a difference I checked it more thoroughly and found the short axle was not completely in place and the joint had movement where the left did not. That is when I found the splines was exposed. I called CSC and they were very helpful. And made arrangements for warranty service.

As far as being a jerk maybe I am. Since the trike only had 800 miles on it I felt I should give the dealer a shot at it. I was not impressed with their knowledge but gave them a chance. I have 7 years of warranty on the complete trike. Yes it is in writing. The dealer has been in business for many years and I have never had a problem with them before. The shaky front end is a good question. 2 wheel versions. I also have a 2010 2 wheel goldwing. I started to get a shake on decel around 45 mph. It stops as soon as I put both hands on the bars. Don't think it. Since then I added dyna beads it is gone. Not really saying anything just saying it is gone on my bike. Rock solid at any speed on any road.

Sorry for the long rant.

Oh, I have been wrenching on bikes over 40 years and usually do all my own works but being new to trikes and have a lot to learn. I will, I catch on real quick and learn fast.
my shop
IMG_2719Small.jpg

IMG_2711Small.jpg

This is 1 of my other bikes that I am do a make over
IMG_0515.jpg

So far
IMG_2780Small.jpg

I am a X-welder fabricator and was raised on 2 wheels
dd

I wanna live in your shop!!! jimsjinx

My shop is open to anyone needing to use it. All ya have to do is contact me in advance to make sure I will be home. Lately I am at home a lot due to my wife's illness. The only charge I have is for any materials you may use.

I have lots of tools, with mig welder, torch, bike stand/jacks.

dd

Dirtdobber, noticed that u had a Craftsman Drill press. I have one like it. The plant I spent 39 years at, made that model. Hope it has worked well for u.

It's old, 25-30 years old but has been a good 1. Many years ago, I would get nothing but craftsman tools. Now I buy only their hard tools. They change stuff too much for me. I still have the original belt on it

I did get the trike in the shop yesterday. The trike mech. said a few weeks. He has to get the warranty approved. I already took care of that.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png